The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2019, 07:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC to enforce ‘net neutrality’  (Read 3913 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »

Julius Genachowski, the FCC chairman, told The Hill that his agency will support “net neutrality” and go after anyone who violates its tenets.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/obamas-fcc-to-enforce-net-neutrality-2009-08-25.html
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »

Applause

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

Applause

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

Ditto ROFLMAO

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »

But wait! There's more.....

FCC Drops Hammer on Wireless Carriers

"The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) unanimously voted Aug. 27 to launch two inquiries into the world of wireless communications, including the competitive and innovative state of mobile Internet providers and the billing practices of U.S. wireless and broadband  carriers."

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Government-IT/FCC-Drops-Hammer-on-Wireless-Carriers-746073/

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:07:26 PM »

This.

Perfect area in which government involvement affects my bottom line in a hugely positive way.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »

"We are at a pivotal moment in the history of the mobile industry. We are transitioning from a voice-centric world to a world of ubiquitous, mobile Internet access," Genachowski said. "This transition promises to increase the pace of innovation and investment, but only if we have an open and competitive marketplace that gives every great idea a chance to make its way to consumers so that the best products or services win."

Applause 

So nice to hear.  I hope they don't get lobbied into watering things down.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »

Still more. Last point is particularly interesting tie-in. A little scaremongering to be sure, but still a pretty good point to consider for the long haul.
-------------

Staff member Blair Levin, who is leading the FCC’s effort to write the national broadband plan, was a bit more realistic in his assessment of how that effort was going, which he called the biggest task for the FCC since the 1996 Telecommunications Act.

He noted that the FCC had been flying blind in regards to broadband. “We have had to essentially recreate data that we hoped would exist” Levin said. “This institution did not have the kind of data it needed to have.”

He also noted that Congress clearly wants to universalize broadband, but it is likely that demand for grants will outstrip supply — $7.2 billion was authorized last February.

And, Levin added, if H1N1 flu virus gets bad, the demand will grow even higher as “people commute by broadband” and schools set up ad-hoc video streams
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »

Another interesting tie-in.  Apparently Magicjack is blocking calls to numbers of their own competitors:

Portion of the complaint:
"But today, MagicJack appears to be breaking the law. Every Friday we have a staff call at Floor64. Since not everyone here works locally or in the office every day, we have a conference call using every startup's favorite: FreeConference.com. So I called in this morning, and MagicJack refused. Instead, it gave me a recording telling me that I needed to use MagicJack's own free conferencing solution. That might be fine for setting up conference calls, but this was a call that was already going on, and which people were waiting for me to dial into. And there was no way to get around it. MagicJack simply refuses to let you call FreeConference.com. "

The CEO's response:
"I am the Inventor of magicJack and CEO.It is not illegal for us to block calls to Freeconference."

The CEO is correct - according to current rules and regulations that need an overhaul.

Full article: http://techdirt.com/articles/20090904/1449236112.shtml

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »

Posterboy for the Apple/Skype/GoogleVoice issue, but more blatant. "I'm the inventor and I say no. [sic]" Classic.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »

Dan did pretty well for himself in that comment stream.  ...knows how to play rope-a-dope with the baiters.

>MagicJack is not a common Carrier and does not need certification from the FCC.

Interesting to know.

>Net neutrality is when you interconnect for Free,Freeconference and many others do not want to do that so far-We do.

Always pointed the problem back to Freeconference wanting connection fees.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript