The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:04:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EA's own editor criticizes C&C4 DRM  (Read 2940 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »

What would the weekend be without some IP drivel from your friendly, net-neighborhood ITTO? Here's the story.

Idiocracy fo reals.

Burnt by own company

EA.com's editor-in-chief and blogger (or "official EA codpiece") Jeff Green, like many since launch, was burnt by Command & Conquer 4's DRM, which requires one to be online at all times to play. Unlike Ubisoft's latest experiment, this scheme offers many online features for single player and multiplayer, per the "global player progression system." Nevertheless, Green hasn't been having a good experience.

Green wrote on his Twitter account late last week: "Booted twice -- and progress lost -- on my single-player C&C4 game because my DSL connection blinked. DRM fail. We need new solutions," continuing later, "Well. I've tried to be open-minded. But my 'net connection is finicky -- and the constant disruption of my C&C4  SP game makes this unplayable.

Unplayable??  Stop whining, pirate sympathizer!  I mean, Editor in Chief of the company who produced said Intellectual Property  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO 

Meet the scarcity fear lemmings of IP.

If the game is good and it provides tangible reasons to own a copy, people will buy it. 

Margins may drop but units sold and most importantly the indirect capital possibilities more than compensate for this potential difference.  But here's the catch: it actually, really, and completely needs to be good beyond any bait-and-switch lock-in licensing scheme.  So if your offer's good, welcome to profits for days.  If it stinks?  Go ride on that sinking ship of IP extremism to swindle a few extra bucks from the foolish willing.

There's still tons of cash to be had from this antiquated approach.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »

If the game is good and it provides tangible reasons to own a copy, people will buy it. 
WOW is that good to know. So kids that like games will not behave the same way they do with music, eh? That is GREAT news.

Margins may drop but units sold and most importantly the indirect capital possibilities more than compensate for this potential difference.  But here's the catch: it actually, really, and completely needs to be good beyond any bait-and-switch lock-in licensing scheme.  So if your offer's good, welcome to profits for days.  If it stinks?  Go ride on that sinking ship of IP extremism to swindle a few extra bucks from the foolish willing.
Even better! So if it's not protected, you'll actually sell more of it? That's spectacular!

Good lord I had no idea. I thought that places like PirateBay actually existed, specifically for the purpose of swapping this stuff. Imagine my relief!

And it's great to know that kids, who don't have enough money, will simply honor the fact that they cannot afford said game and not try to grab it by force - and maintain the need for their parents to buy it for them for their birthday. What a happy day. WHAT a happy day.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0zDiHGtKA&feature=player_embedded

WOW is that good to know. So kids that like games will not behave the same way they do with music, eh? That is GREAT news.

Bad news but there's not much difference.  For the most part, the things kids cannot buy or the things kids cannot get their parents to buy for them are things that will not be purchased by them - ever.  Kids who have no means to buy a game will either not be able to play ever, or will play something free and perhaps scaled down from the for pay version.  This is the fallacy that the lemmings of IP believe: that anything that was pirated would otherwise have been paid for.  This is a complete fallacy.  For the most part, people incapable of paying for something with IP value will never pay for that thing, because they simply can't.  They may, however, be capable of having every asset they've ever managed to save for their children to have a better life than they do forcefully ripped from their lives as they are thrown in prison.  Proceeds go to the hard working folks in support of DRM, of course.  (BTW - these are the people who I feel for most, and are the reason I have such a strong opinion on this.)

However, explode something through the world in a free-mode with a "pay for the premium-mode" business approach, and those who actually can pay.... wait for it... actually will pay.

So you recommend forever preventing impoverished children from experiencing games as kids in the US are privileged enough to enjoy?  Talk about tough love Wink  Happy Saturday Smiley

Good lord I had no idea. I thought that places like PirateBay actually existed

Nope it was all just a bad dream.  Well that's an unfair comparison, since a bad dream is far more damaging - in every way.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »

For the most part, the things kids cannot buy or the things kids cannot get their parents to buy for them are things that will not be purchased by them - ever.  Kids who have no means to buy a game will either not be able to play ever, or will play something free and perhaps scaled down from the for pay version.  This is the fallacy that the lemmings of IP believe: that anything that was pirated would otherwise have been paid for.  This is a complete fallacy.  For the most part, people incapable of paying for something with IP value will never pay for that thing, because they simply can't.
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Pure rationalization. "Well, if we can't beat them, let them have it all for free then." Now it may well be true, that the people that are willing to use things that they did not pay for may never have paid for them - but there's also plenty people that absolutely would have paid to have it, had it not come for free. Your argument absolutely defies reality. "Here's something you'd really like. You can pay for it, or you can have it for free." so you honestly think that all honest people say No and all people that say yes are pirates that would never have paid for it anyway? If so you are deluded.

They may, however, be capable of having every asset they've ever managed to save for their children to have a better life than they do forcefully ripped from their lives as they are thrown in prison.  Proceeds go to the hard working folks in support of DRM, of course.  (BTW - these are the people who I feel for most, and are the reason I have such a strong opinion on this.)
Hyperbolic, extremist FUD. Let's put a different spin on things: if I can't afford something, I don't get it. Whether it's Monopoly or Pac-Man, it's the same thing. If I want to borrow your shovel, and you say no unless I give you a dollar. Do I have a right to use it anyway? It doesn't damage you to let me borrow it, it really doesn't cost you anything at all, why shouldn't I be able to? And if you put a ARM package on your shovel (Analogue Rights Management ie., a lock on the garage) is it wrong? Is it an affront to people all over the world? Have I increased poverty by decreasing access to my shovel? Am I in the wrong for protecting what is mine? A shovel certainly could be helpful for those poor impoverished kids to dig a well. So while you're not watching, I take the shovel. while I have it, I let the other neighbors around the block use it. All the while knowing full well that you didn't want me to have it. Have I done anything "wrong?"

And to the whole "all their assets forceably ripped from them" horsepoop: Although you're way over the top and your example is silly, let's just imagine for a moment what happens if I steal a whole bunch from someone else. Hmmm. I might go to jail and have my assets forcibly removed from me. Imagine that. You rationalize that it's not really theft. Is it, if I take a book that I purchased, copy it and distribute it? Am I doing something wrong? Is it even possible to you that some people I might give the book to might have purchased it had I not given it for free? Or is it your "right" as the book purchaser to copy and redistribute it all you want to?

However, explode something through the world in a free-mode with a "pay for the premium-mode" business approach, and those who actually can pay.... wait for it... actually will pay.

So you recommend forever preventing impoverished children from experiencing games as kids in the US are privileged enough to enjoy?  Talk about tough love Wink  Happy Saturday Smiley
Dood, if you really want to argue that PacMan or XBox games are part of the vital information continuum that promotes peace and nourishment you're so far over the top it's not even funny. Let's be clear: there's plenty things in this ol' world that I cannot afford. Bummer. I do not deserve them, I don't need them, I have no right to them. The notion that people have some kind of fundamental right to PacMan is beyond ridiculous.

I LOVE it when people make games for free. Music for free. Art for free. Give it away, it's awesome. But that is the right of the author/creator - not the prerogative of the person that wants it. The problem to me, is that people have confused the profound gift of open source and not-for-pay software with whatever it is THEY want, irrespective of the desires of the author. This game is free, great. This game is not, WGAF? I can break it and have it anyway. Pay for a premium mode? Excellent. I think that's a great model. Hook with free, upsell the next version. But what happens when (that) version is broken and distributed for free also? Has anything "wrong" transpired or is it within the rights of all people to strip that bastard piece of ware and give it away on terms that I (the cracker) decide, as opposed to the author? The author that created a great business model and was following your excellent suggestion? Have I done nothing to him?

Really?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:08 AM »

You're hopeless.  But balls to you for throwing so many red herrings in such a short amount of text.  Love your response to other less fortunate people being unable to experience digital life as we know it: not one, not two, not three, but four ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO  How funny can their loss really be?  No they don't have an intrinsic right to just have anything they want.  That's obvious.  But by the same token, do you have an intrinsic right to righteously deny billions of struggling people any form of access to the very things that give you a boost in your ability to earn an income?  Yep, by insisting that "ya want it ya gotta pay" and applying that to this curious, wicked and unnatural beast called Intellectual Property, you are in fact mind-starving the world of have nots and arrogantly claiming authority to the throne of this legally protected knowledge.  It's one step away from causing this disparity directly.  But you're safely hiding behind one degree of separation that guarantees your right to claim ignorance about this fact.  Arizona doesn't help open any of these mental channels up either btw.

Real tragedies endured by real people, be it forced bankruptcy or prison time.  Your response: Hyperbolic, extremist FUD.

>If I want to borrow your shovel

This may very well be a concept that's impossible for you to grasp, yet it seems so exceptionally simple to me I just can't understand why you can't get it.  When your shovel is borrowed (or stolen) from you, you no longer have it.  Wow man I've tried simple math like 2 - 1 = 1, a penny in the pond is no longer in your Dockers, 1lb of lard sold and distributed to KFC = 1lb of lard now missing from the warehouse, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.  But this must be a generational thing or something because it's just not sinking in.  A shovel increments an inventory when added and decrements an inventory when it leaves.  Try reading "Who Moved My Cheese" for an in depth study on this baffling, cause and effect based phenomenon.  Well actually this book doesn't relate to this topic in any way but the title says it all.  The cheese is gone sir, you go hungry.  Not so with digital IP.  It's arguably the reverse, though you won't/can't see this.  You may hate these "pirates" who for some hidden reason truly infuriate you.  But you have it all wrong.  Even though there are people in this world who see things as you do and still choose to copy things as if they were actually stealing something from someone, yet could care less, it doesn't change a thing about the rest of those living completely in integrity and yet doing things that you despise as if they were robbing your very home.

It's a gap in your understanding, not some desperate attempt by others to justify getting free handouts.  Those who just want free handouts simply go get them.  I assume they could give a rats ass about all this stuff as long as they get theirs for free.  They are not me.  They are not those who march passionately in the defense of those on the business end of the digital divide.  Minimizing all of this important work to some selfish, sneaky attempt to get something for free. like a thief would do, is what you continue to suggest with your words - over and over and over. 

>And to the whole "all their assets forceably ripped from them" horsepoop:

Horsepoop indeedRoll Eyes

>Let's be clear: there's plenty things in this ol' world that I cannot afford. Bummer. I do not deserve them, I don't need them, I have no right to them.

Most financially secure people feel the same way.  I could too, but I choose to see sides to issues beyond my BBQ.  Don't worry though, you'll get the majority of support for the way you see things and I'll be considered a communist/anarchist as usual.

>Hook with free, upsell the next version. But what happens when (that) version is broken and distributed for free also? Has anything "wrong" transpired

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Nothing outside of your own mind that has transpired could possibly be considered "wrong."

I'll never give up on you perks Smiley  Obi Wan has hope for you.  For an additional $50.95 he will resume sending you his Good ThoughtsTM.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »

>if I can't afford something, I don't get it.

Libertarian Democrat  Grin

Healthcare, public safety, military protection, the freedom of speech, and the right to a fair trial.  Wait, the last two can be grandfathered in to perks' new world order  ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 07:28:47 AM »

Funny ... I'm hopeless and you'll not give up on me.
Right backatcha mate.

There is no "gap in my understanding" except how you cannot see the value of people's time to develop something, then become suddenly without ability to compensate them because *you've* decided that the author's ability to protect himself is somehow evil. The real gap is how you can only see value in something that is physical and can be taken from you - not the time you may have spent to create something then being taken from you without compensation.

Just because something (software) is amorphous and cerebral, not physical like a shovel, you see taking and using it without paying the author as OK. Again ITTO: If a company chooses to release their software for free or unprotected I am ALL FOR IT. It's great. It's the best. It's the wave of the future. But if a company chooses not to, regardless of your opinion, that is also valid and it is their right to say no, if you want to use it, you must pay.

For you to unilaterally decide that they do not have rights against their creations, or that their rights are "evil" is just amazing to me.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »

whether or not you go to jail all depends on how much you steal. on the 3 strikes you out law, stealing a slice of pizza can get you life in prison. while if you steal billions ussually not much happens. I am not sure where perks gets this silly idea your assets get siezed. and if you make your billions by supporting evil regimes and selling war materials to these regimes, why who knows. you might even become president.

amazing the power of self delusion.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »

3 strikes only applies to felonies. Stealing even a whole pizza wouldnt be a felony unless it was covered in gold leaf.

If found guily, assets do get seized. Happens all the time. Its just the catch-22 of being rich and being prosecuted. You have an enormous amount of money to defend yourself and manufacture evidence. Martha stewart didnt fight, only to reduce her sentence and prove no criminal intent, and she only got fined removing all profit and a pretty hefty penalty. Enron on the otherhand has almost an entire prison to themselves... And they are now almost all completely stripped of all assets because they DID have criminal intent. Same with the recent ponzi scheme guys.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »

There is no "gap in my understanding" except how you cannot see the value of people's time to develop something, then become suddenly without ability to compensate them because *you've* decided that the author's ability to protect himself is somehow evil

So to recap, the only gap in your understanding pertains to how I, ITTO, cannot "see" the value of people's time to develop something.  Then I become suddenly incapable of compensating them because I, ITTO, have decided that an individual's ability to protect himself is evil.

First, what I said: "It's a gap in your understanding, not some desperate attempt by others to justify getting free handouts."

Now remember there essentially is no individual.  What we have is bloated and thieving corporations seeking stupid huge profits, unconscionable margins, and lazy ways to gouge us to further fatten their decades long gluttony parade of which you are a marching boy supporting them. 

And if you ever wanted to ask directly about this I'd answer honestly, but you wont.  So the answer is - you're god damn right I could give 1/2 a shit about these mega corporations and their profits.  Yes it's true, in the economy of free they are perfectly aligned to receive it in the puter.  They have everything to lose, well at least the most to lose.  They work your jaw by making you believe that you are supporting artists, not them.  So I completely honor your position to defend artists yet I see completely through this illusion we're supposed to buy into.  This illusion that I'm afraid you have bought into.

Same good intentions here, just disagree on the approach.  Unless of course you continue on with your ITTO is a pirate thief nonsense in which case we're back to square one and I'll taunt you once again!!

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »

Amazing the powers of self delusion.
3 strikes pizza theft does hold up. 3 strikes applies if crime is "violent". In the pizza case, i go into pizza hut, I shove u and take ur pizza, that is a violent crime.

Brex Scandal sums it up best. I guess the only one who knew about the fraud was the geologist who just happened to fall out of a helicopter. Ofcourse the other former executives who reside in places like Cayman island just like hanging out there because of the weather.

I guess it is not considered to be "crime" when it is "legal".

Run a bank poorly, take outrageous risks, be negligent.
Then when bank goes under, what happens ?
Get a large handout from gov't.

Again this only happens to certain banks if you have the right political connections. Ussually this would be called corruption if some petty 3rd world dictator was doing it.
Then amazingly enuff, u do not have to show how this money is being used.
Well we can see how it is being used, most of the CEOs etc gave them selves huge bonuses for getting a huge handout.

It is almost comical.
When Google is working to preserve freedom and democracy by working with CIA,FBI, RIAA.
But when China wants the same deal, google refuses. And then everyone saids how great google is.

Meanwhile people are talking about crap like this. It is comical, it is like nero fiddling while rome burned.
Bottom line is USA is in deep shit. Massive gov't bailouts with $$$$ it does not have. A huge trade deficit. To make matters worse, over 50% of the debt is held by nations which would not be considered friendly to USA.

Fuking US dollar is falling like a rock. Right now China could tell USA do this, or we will do what you threated to do to britain during the suez crisis.

Not good at all. As crappy as USA is, probably better they are running things instead of china.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

Bingo!  It's why we need to have a continual war.  We've got plenty of extra people without work and plenty of extra equipment that's completely useless unless we use it or sell it.  Watch any country that demands their money back.  They will magically become a "failed state" and a "rogue nation" that we must invade to save the helpless people within.

Bottom line - if money was really what it came down to then Russia wouldn't even be on the map anymore.  Living conditions there are not ideal but they literally ran out of cash and continued to maintain their world relevance through overt and covert military operations.  Hell they even have an irremovable dictator and we still consider them to be a friendly and valid nation.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

Bottom line is USA is in deep shit. Massive gov't bailouts with $$$$ it does not have. A huge trade deficit. To make matters worse, over 50% of the debt is held by nations which would not be considered friendly to USA.
Heh, you actually still believe in something called deficit? It's funny that people say that we took this and this much new national debt last year. Who cares? That money doesn't exist anyway. It's just a way to keep numbers in check so government knows how much money they have created this year. The real money is only paper and goverment has plenty of tricks like taxation that prevents citizen from having too much money. Nation can adjust how much money they have in circulation by lowering or increasing taxes, inventing new ones, creating new rules that costs money to industries that have too much money and so on. Important fact is that nobody can't have more money than the government or power balance isn't the way it should be in the eyes of mobst.. sorry, I mean government officials. Now how does government then get money when it needs it? They "borrow" from other nations which is a fancy financial term of saying "we create money out of thin air and give make meaningless agreement with other country" and then use this money in order to come up with a plan how to spend it so government can offer the basic functions people need. You really think that when take more national debt they actually ship out few trillion dollar bills from China? It's just press of a button and money factory prints out small sum of actual paper money and the rest is just ones and zeros. Everything is carefully planned out so that there's no change that average Joe could get wealthy by working as employee, there's just not enough real money for that. You can get wealthy by making business but you can't get government wealthy. And by accident billions disappear in investments government made, just like billions disappeared when Irak war caused US to order weapons from company Bush had stake in.

Yeah, unless you didn't realize, that was my Michael Moore imitation. US situation is even worse than european countries because US was created as a free country but it was soon hijacked by capitalists who understood how nation could be controlled with money. Now US situation is beyond hopeless and I have very little hope that you will ever be the same US your founders created. The same freedom that once made US great was used to hijack it and because US was suppose to be perfect, nobody bothered to learn from history and take precautions. Now US is basically controlled by corporations and there's really nothing Obama or any government official can do about it. It's just the way US has been wired to work in the past 50 years by lobbying corporations that makes it next to impossible to ever change it back or to even adjust to be better for the citizens. I see US as a country controlled by corporate greed without any power to change it. Only people could make this change by radical actions but guess if that's going to happen. Everybody is just too addicted to their taught ideal lifestyle. And sad thing is that even when people say they want to "be free", they really don't want to be free. They want to be free to live comfortably which has nothing to do with being really free. It saddens me that people have so much power but they sell it with bottom price to corporations just to buy 8 hours free time a day.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

I actually heard a bonehead talking at a restaurant the other day with this little lovely:

"So f&^%king what if we owe the Chinese all that money? We bombed them in hero-sheema during WWII, we can do it again." It's particularly funny to me because I heard that exact same argument something like 10-15 years ago, except the teller had accurately attributed Japan in the argument. I guess the aggregate level of edjookashun has dropped off a bit since then.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript