The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 07:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Droid arrives Nov. 6  (Read 2336 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »

I'm not into cell contracts and a 2-year contract is disgusting IMO.  However, if I were into them I'd snap this baby up in a second:  http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/46825?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-10-28

Who knows, maybe after enough time playing with the droid emulator I'll get excited enough to lower my standards and get suckered into a 2-year nightmare.  Then again, maybe I'll refrain and let the rest of the tech addicts flesh out the beta testing first Wink

No contracts, no captivity, no evil Police

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:25 AM »

No contracts, no captivity, no evil Police
"Do no evil... except when it comes to money" -Google

yeah I do realize that this has next to nothing to do with Google and their bullshit double faced crappy policies.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

You're going to wake up screaming tonight in a cold sweat screaming GOOGLE NOOOOO GOOGLE!!!!!  ROFLMAO

Just relax and watch 1984 Wink  It's all doubleplusgood.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

You're going to wake up screaming tonight in a cold sweat screaming GOOGLE NOOOOO GOOGLE!!!!!  ROFLMAO
Naah... I used to do that.. then I realized what I had to do... the great Adam Savage got it correct: I reject your reality & substitute my own.

You'll see

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »

the great Adam Savage got it correct

Who you callin Savage?? Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »

Excellent pre-public-release review roundup for the new Droid:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/05/review_roundup_motorola_droid_verizons_first_android_handset.html

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »

LOL - this one is my favorite: "I can recommend the Droid to Verizon loyalists who have lusted for a better smart phone, but don't want to switch networks."  Talk about settling.  Not that the Droid is good or bad.  But who the hell is a Verizon loyalist that's been sitting around "lusting" for a better smart phone?  What kind of loyalist lusts for another and is finally pacified by something satisfactory?

Who knows.  Maybe they're locked into some contract or something Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »

but don't want to switch networks

... or perhaps, like we've mentioned, it's really a service signal thang ... I am fortunate here that all the carriers work reasonably well (some better than others) so it's not much of an issue. But I have a friend that *really* wants an iPhone but there is literally no AT&T at all in her area (an hour outside of Durango). She *has* to stay with Verizon, it's the only tower that reaches her.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:27:22 AM »

Verizon doesn't have loyalists, neither does AT&T. They just have contractees. Even if all of us cancelled our contracts, they'd probably still be fine just from their corporate customers. I know for a fact that Oracle equips its guys with the latest iPhone model and pays out the yin yang for unlimited AT&T plans.

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »

Well yeah if you live in flyover country your options are more limited. Those of us who live where people actually *want* to live have several providers amongst whom to choose. Not that we really have any options either. My friend lives a few streets down from us and either because of the age of his house or something, he gets 0 bars inside with AT&T. I usually have 5 bars inside my house, and it's really old (gotta be at least 200 years old).

hai
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »

they'd probably still be fine just from their corporate customers.
Probably they would be better off, regular customers are a fuking pain in the ass.

For the connectivity problem get a dual sim phone.
Possibly it could even save u money.
Here for networks it is cheaper if u call within the network. Also with prepaid u can text all u want for ~$0.40 a day within the network.

I am not sure how the bluetooth works on iphone.
I know for shits and giggles I managed to connect my nokia to laptop with cable (but u should be able to do same thing with bluetooth).
Then was able to connect to the phone and send SMS with it etc.

But like 2 shit phones with bluetooth. Then maybe u can get iphone to dial out thru it etc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript