The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTIA Wireless 2009: Fall's Hottest Handsets  (Read 1220 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »

While Android phones are starting to enter carriers' lineups, most of the new phones launched at the recent CTIA wireless telecommunications trade show ran Windows Mobile 6.5.

Yikes what a saturated, frighteningly competitive market.  I'll bet a big part of the mobile/wireless market churn is due to the volatility of these devices.  Sure some are more durable than others but the lifespan will never match protected hardware that lives indoors with climate control 

Oh yeah, it's been a while but doesn't Win Mobile totally suck?  Managing an exchange-based corporate environment with Win Mob was a scream.

http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2009/101309-ctia-wireless.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2009-10-14

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't get excited about handsets anymore? I think after iPhone it's kinda like "ok, cool, I wonder why I don't care". Funny question is that what needs to happen that I change away from iPhone Cheesy It simply everything I want right now, weird feeling.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »

WinMo does suck, and suck out loud at that. Android will rock faces compared to it. It should just die a peaceful, you immediate death.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

7 is getting good press.

Again, i think MS could DESTROY the other players, and at least knock back apple, IF and ONLY IF, they make it lightweight, with a boatload of hooks and APIs, create interface standards, and have a good/solid IDE.
They can do all those things, as long as they throw all the suits in the shark tank.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't get excited about handsets anymore?

Nope.  Other than general IT intrigue, I don't even like them.  Annoying re-channeling of your brain from moment to moment IMO.  I'm an LG Net-10 for basic calls and Skype for everything else guy these days.  I've never been happier with my cellphone life - no bills, no contracts, no evil Grin

It's shockingly low-tech I know.  But I spend so much time on high-powered technology that during the few hours I'm away from it, all I really want is a cellphone.  $2.99 a month unlimited US/Canada on Skype and about $30 bucks a month for my cellphone life-tether Smiley

WinMo does suck, and suck out loud at that. Android will rock faces compared to it. It should just die a peaceful, you immediate death.

Leave it to the corporations to keep bad business/technologies afloat through massive purchasing agreements.  The iPhone has done amazingly well considering its AT&T lock-in and comparably slow corporate adoption.  Blackberry sucked for so many years and dominated the market largely due to the support of businesses.  Their devices are ok now (better than WinMob IMO) but still very breakable compared to iPhones.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript