The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 12:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer illiterate son wants to build a game server, great!  (Read 3159 times)
serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:20:30 AM »

Don't get me wrong illiterate as in almost started a js loop on an html page once, but explore the concept further. I was desperate!

When the game server request occurred, I figured out there was no better occasion learn to speak another language and have fun doing it!

He and his friend plan to provide a game server for a game called Dophus.

Off course I said cool, lets do it, thinking, no they can't be serious, let us wait and see if they keep pushing. Well they are serious.

Guess what: anyone willing top share similar experience or mission, for that matter, any link to a "built a game server for my kids 101" ?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »

in a previous life i set up a quake server at the college I was going to. machine wise, its generally just an install and meeting their system requirements.

most of the true difficulties come "outside the box". Network speeds and latencies are the biggest issues. for example, a crappy little netgear switch has the same socket speed of 1gb as a procurve, but the procurve has a WAY higher packets per second capability, as well as a much lower internal latency.

If its a twitch game like quake was or any fps for that matter, then the network matters. if its something else, like for example online chess, pffft who cares.

it shouldnt be hard, since the developer should have all the info needed on how to setup/run a server. unless its in chinese of course...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »

I setup and ran an Ultima Online server years and years ago and it wasn't too bad to get running.  Most of the time the server software will come with a nice FAQ and installation guide. 

The toughest part for your average gamer would be if it's an open source server and you have to compile it. Most of the time it's no tougher than installing an app and pointing it to your DB server for it to store it's data.

good luck!

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »

Maybe bone up on NAT forwarding is the only thing you should have to do

go into the game , select start server

google the ports you need Dofus needs access to ports 8080, 5555 and 443 perhaps

then youll have to forward those ports from your router to the server machine and
thats about it...  then in the game it will be able to register you as a server and
they use the ip of your isp to connect to the individual server...  whatismyip.com will
help you figure it out.

Its gonna be the last time you see your son.... hell be lost in awesomeness.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:54:31 AM »

Thank you all for taking the time

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »

As long as this server will not be exposed publicly, then this should be basically as simple as following most game server install guides for other games.  Yes, OS is important and although I'm a GNU/Linux fanboi, Windows 7 would make your world a lot easier.

Back a few lifetimes ago I watched the entire process of setting up a Doom server as the local guru hacked his way to success.  This was the original Doom, before old skool was spelled with a k.  It was at a company in Phoenix called Ridgewood Macs and Olsen, in case anyone remembers it Wink

Anyway, we were on ARCnet and running Windows 3.1 (later upgrading to 3.11).  This endeavor would have made even the most seasoned of network admins wet themselves and run screaming.  But this was no network admin, and he had enough dope in his system to kill a donkey.  But here's a post I found for you that assumes a Windoze system: 

First you will need a router.....your DSL company will have your mac address (hardware address of your network card) registered to the main computer you have online right now.
And most likely they will not allow you have two computers online at the same time. With the router DSL company will register the Mac address of the router and assume it's one computer.

I would also say one more stick of ram. and wipe the disk clean after the transfer files. Install a fresh copy of Windows 2000 SP 3 it seems to do much better as a server then Windows XP.
this my server
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe AMD 2700+@2,574 13X198 v1.9
Swiftech water cpu & gpu, ATI 9700 Pro, 1 gig XMS PC3200, 1 MAX 40g 133/ATA win2k sp3

I use a Linksys router actually two of them and hub.
For a battlefield 1942 desert combat server. I would agree that six players would be your very maximum at your speed.
my speed is 4100 to 4400 down and 274 to 320 up and I can barely maintained eight players.

Here is a detailed step-by-step page by page instructions on how to set up your router to use one of your systems as a game server.

Good luck:)
Okay this is a along one
First you want to right click on my network then click properties,
Then right click a local area connection, then properties,
Highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IP) then click the properties button.

It should say general
You want to have used the following IP address checked
The top IP address is whichever number you gave the computer (192.168.1.5)
Subnet mask is pretty much always default, 255.255.255.0
Default gateway will be IP address of your router 192.168.1.1 default Linksys

Then at the bottom use the following DNS server addresses
Preferred DNS server 0.0.0.0 will be what ever your Internet service provider has gave you
Alternate DNS server 0.0.0.0 when we get the router I'll explain where to find these numbers there should be three.

Then advanced button (towards the bottom)
on the very bottom interface metric No. 1

Then DNS tab
The DNS server addresses in order use:
should be your preferred DNS and your alternate.
Appended primary and connection specific DNS suffixes should be checked
Appended parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix should be checked
DNS suffix for this connection should be your ISP (mine oc.cox.net)
Register this connections address in DNS should be checked
Use this connections DNS suffix in DNS registration should be checked

Then WINS tap
Enable LMhosts look up should be checked
Enable netbios over TCP/IP should be checked

That should do it for the computer now onto the router

Remember to save (apply) on each page you change and if your computer that you use is sharing the same router you will have to set it up the same way to have access to the Internet.

Log onto the router should be 192.168.1. 1 password should be admin unless you have changed it.

First tab set up
host name your ISP
lan IP address 192.168.1.1 address of your router (needs to match the computer)
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 whichever you choose (needs to match the computer)

WAN IP address
obtained and IP address automatically should be checked.

Login depends on your ISP? Mine is set to disable

Okay Skip password tab goes to status tab
host name your ISP
LAN IP address subnet mask DHCP server should say disabled

WAN this is where you will find the IP address giving to you by your ISP, default gateway and
DNS numbers.

DHCP tab
DHCP server disabled should be checked

Skip to the advanced tab
first tab filters go down towards the bottom
SPI disabled
block WAN requests disabled
multicast pass-through enable
IPSec pass-through enable
PPTP pass-through enable
remote upgrade disabled
MTU enable mine is set to 2000 (one of the router tweaks) you may be able to set yours higher? Average high is 1500 (apply remember to hit that button every page)

Forwarding you will need to set this up for every computer using the same router
service port range depending on what you set the port to in your game most common 14567
the first box would say 14567 second box 14567 protocol UDP
(there is a both choice but for some reason it doesn't seem to work)
then the IP address of your computer
next box same thing but under protocol set TCP
you do not need to configure port triggering

Dynamic routing tab
I use the router but I have my working mode set to gateway

Static routing
you will need to set up a route entry for each computer
destination LAN IP computer IP address
subnet mask the same on all computers
default gateway router IP address
hop count I have mine set at 1
interface WAN

DMZ host
this is the IP address of this server hosting the game.

Should be all done hit apply start the game server and logon crossing your fingers couldn't hurt LOL

* Winblows.jpg (23.23 KB, 320x240 - viewed 211 times.)

* Doom.jpg (98.65 KB, 512x384 - viewed 203 times.)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »

Missed that earlier, Thanks Itto

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »

np Smiley

mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »

before old skool was spelled with a k. 

ITTO, I can destroy anyone at DOOM.  When I close my eyes i see fractals and DOOM maps.

But thats another story Wink

You think windows 3.1 vanilla was a bastard?

try

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+3.11+for+workgroups&aq=3&aqi=g5g-m1&aql=&oq=windows+3.11+for+&gs_rfai=CH4ykM71STIHlC5XcygTKj7DICgAAAKoEBU_QzbyW&fp=19d754eee0b4f223

windows 3.11 for workgroups...

it was actually pretty bad ass and it had spaces and eveything...

included was HOURS of non-forum , shasta cola, all rush mix tape based poking around to get it done.

There was no CACHE   
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »

Ugh. 3.1 workgroup. Don't remind me.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »

With all due respect mampy, if we played together you'd be better off not closing your eyes at all Wink  From Doom to Unreal Tournament to Quake Arena to BattlefieldXYZ, ITTO is better to have as a teammate than your enemy  Devilish

I've had people throw virtual tantrums during net gaming in Unreal Tournament as they continue to die hearing the ominous "Head Shot!" over and over.  In doom there's nothing better than getting a frag with the right mouse click chainsaw attack.  And remember the first time you found the double barrel shotgun?  That sound effect was insanely cool 

mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »

i will destroy you.  unreal tournament facing worlds low grav jump match name the time and ip.

lol

keep your friends close and your enemies.... on facebook.  So you can stalk them hahahahahahaha

DISCLAIMER: Mampy is three sheets to the wind.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1141985944/Vicky_Pollard_Rapping

Think about it.

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »

HAHAH dont make me bust out my alfonso riviera sponsored FOR BREAKERS ONLY mat so we can settle our differences through dance... or tittie twisting..... i dont judge.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript