The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2019, 06:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud computing how does google app engine stack up against other options ?  (Read 1427 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »

I have been experimenting with google app engine (GAE)
Biggest pros for GAE

- uses python, and you can load zipped python libs into the code (if GAE does not have the lib u need)
- you can use django
- the google database model (how things are stored on GAE) is virtually identical to the django model (infact if u use GAE u just drop it in place).
- very easy to set up, no head aches
- very simple pricing policy. First so many million requests are free, then they charge per 1M request etc. So you are paying as u use.
- no need to worry about scaling it is build in.

Cons
-it uses google.
- the you are locked into google platform is a myth, since if u use django (or ur own custom python framework) u could move ur app very easy.

Anyway just wondering if anyone knows stuff that stacks up against GAE.
Salesforce seems to use thier own proprietory language, has wierd obtuse API etc.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »

Salesforce seems to use thier own proprietory language, has wierd obtuse API etc.

You probably know I'm a Force.com programmer from the Cache section on the subject.  I've been so deeply involved with it for the past year and incredibly happy with their place in the clouds that my advice would probably seem/be biased.  I can say that many big fish have tried and thus far failed to do what Salesforce has been so successful at for a number of reasons.  Microsoft Azure - yawn.  Amazon, Google and even Facebook have done a very nice job exposing their services for mash-ups and direct use. 

But Apex/Visualforce cloud computing has always been free to use and is becoming a very mature environment.  I'm finishing up a large mass email marketing force.com integration project right now in fact.  Integrating multiple cloud systems (after getting the hang of it) feels like tech nirvana sometimes  Grin

My Force.com programming forum at the Cache has all you need to get started, should you brave the journey of the obtuse Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »

Force.com threads on the Cache:

http://www.perkiset.org/forum/obscurites_curiosities_arcanity/forcecom_programming-t1491.0.html
http://www.perkiset.org/forum/obscurites_curiosities_arcanity/testdriven_development_basics-t1489.0.html
http://www.perkiset.org/forum/obscurites_curiosities_arcanity/recommended_reading-t1490.0.html
http://www.perkiset.org/forum/obscurites_curiosities_arcanity/how_can_i_make_money_with_this-t1488.0.html

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

@isthisthingon
Biaed view or not it provides information Smiley
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »

Hope so Smiley 

My biased view is that somehow in some very unusual twist of fate (not unlike Google itself) a small CRM player called Salesforce produced the Force.com platform - the very first of its kind in the world.  The programmable web (2.0) in full action, as everyone knew it would be when bandwidth cost came just down far enough to begin justifying paying more for the data transport and less on an in-house IT department.

In order to deliver a robust multi-tenant solution that actually worked the languages Apex and Visualforce were born.  These languages allowed Salesforce to guarantee that no matter what someone else did, you would not be impacted.  And this is my long winded point, and why I believe the Google App Engine is still immature while Microsoft for all their might, purchased brains and mission statements of cloud domination don't even have a solution yet.  The only way to succeed in multi-tenancy (cloud) is to understand your scaling beyond simply bandwidth and storage.  You simply can't unleash the world into a multi-tenant cloud, especially your very own competitors who will bring it down quick, and get by without a comprehensive governor limit strategy.

Apex and Visualforce were born in the clouds and made specifically to exist there.  Other old fashioned web languages just aren't a good fit for cloud computing.  They belong in the web 1.0 model: I have a store, you find my URL cuz I'm running the SEO rat race, once inside you live in my world that I control.  Attempting to unleash Java/Perl/Python in a truly web 2.0 environment is like developing a website in Basic.  You're trying to build a car with a steam engine.  Google and others can certainly do it but they're spending way too much energy trying with the wrong tools for the job.  These tools absolutely depend on the predictability of the environment (hardware/network/location/etc.) and were built to maximize the use of massive, enterprise-wide solutions.  It's the very nature of their strengths that cause them to be such bad choices in the clouds. 

There's nothing quite as sweet as designing a large, successful enterprise-wide solution on tiers-for-days with scalability on tap.  Believe me I know.  Ironically it's taking way too long for these architects to realize their having the right discussions in the wrong languages.

Now there's a good chunk of bias for ya Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript