The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud Computing "Deep Dive" white paper  (Read 2122 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »

Nice and current high-level cloud computing white paper.  There's now 11 X as a Service definitions Shocked 

@nuts - thought you might find this useful considering what you've been doing lately.

* infoworld_cloudcomputing_premium.pdf (1084.73 KB - downloaded 221 times.)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

Wow that just because excessively complicated really fast. lol

myth#4 is interesting. Im sure EMC started yelling at the article the minute they saw that.

Im wondering why they don't even touch upon MediaTemple or Rackspace clouds? Technically, by their definitions, they would be cloud consolidators. Database, storage, web all in one single cloud.

Otherwise, good article.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Not sure I understand why EMC would be yelling at a cautionary approach to on-site/cloud blended architectures.  I'd think they would be cheering it on since it discourages a gradual approach to moving services into the clouds, which would equal more sales for them.

But my main issue with this article, even though I think it's really good in most respects, is the overly used X as a Service.  Platform as a Service should always be PaaS.  But Process as a Service too  Huh?

PaaS should not be ambiguous IMO.  If you can't get it done in 26 unique acronyms including ZaaS (for Zactly as a Service), you should consolidate similar services until you can 

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

lol. true about Paas

EMC wise, I meant that EMC is rolling out a (theoretically) fully secured transferable/shareable cloud. Your stuff runs on someone elses equipement, without them knowing what you are running. in theory.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:23:35 PM »

EMC wise, I meant that EMC is rolling out a (theoretically) fully secured transferable/shareable cloud. Your stuff runs on someone elses equipement, without them knowing what you are running. in theory.

Shocked  I'll be VERY interested to see that pulled off successfully.  The scaling challenges between the various dimensions of performance concerns would be considerable.  Completely automating data scaling as opposed to CPU/RAM without throwing a ridiculous amount of overkill hardware at the problem will be a fun challenge.  In a PaaS environment such as Force.com the data scaling is measurable and controlled by tiered upgrades to your virtual organization.  So you buy a footprint, which could be massive or small, and can't cripple anyone else's org as a result.  Upgrades are totally easy and form a predictive planning point for their scaling.  There's also ways to have automatic upgrades so you simply pay more with increased data storage.

But all this is tracked and predictable, partially since data can only go in and out at a certain rate.  Seriously good performance for SaaS usage but kept in check for massive uploads.

Damn I love cloud computing Smiley

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »

I'll do my own cloud.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »

Yeah me too, but it's fun doing someone else's cloud from time to time.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript