The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CiviCRM  (Read 2190 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »

http://www.fsf.org/news/nonprofit-fundraising-civicrm

CiviCRM is being offered as a non-predatory license/lock-in free alternative to other CRM & SaaS CRM solutions.  SaaS CRM... hmmmm OMG that's Salesforce.com they're potentially impacting the profits of!  I'm canceling my FSF membership and truly believe Richard Stallman, or shall I just call him "Dick," majorly sucks himself.  It's all fun and games until Salesforce gets hurt.   Wink

Nonprofits have historically relied heavily on proprietary or web-hosted "software as a service" fundraising software such as Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge or eTapestry. The nonprofit organizations using them are locked in, have little control over the functionality of the software, and are dependent on the whims of a single company. Nonprofits also face costly migration if they wish to switch to a different proprietary system, never achieving independence. These factors mean that tools intended to enhance organizations' effectiveness have actually ended up restricting their ability to accomplish their social missions.

CiviCRM, however, shares its software code so all organizations can see how it works, have the option of commissioning anyone to make customizations to it, and can host it on their own trusted servers. Since the code and the data format are freely available, using the system does not mean being locked into it. Because it runs on the free GNU/Linux operating system, it eliminates the need for another frequent nonprofit proprietary software dependency — Microsoft Windows.

Being able to work on CiviCRM gives a lot of non-direct benefits, like the very warm and fuzzy feelings of great satisfaction and fulfillment: knowing that one’s code was used to help the Katrina hurricane victims, that it helps organizations like Amnesty International or Front Line fight for human rights defenders, or that it helps organizations like the Wikimedia Foundation better organize their great work on Wikipedia and all their other projects."

Hurricane Katrina "victims" Huh?  Salesforce.com haters!

"I look forward to encouraging other nonprofit organizations to escape their current proprietary or 'software as a service' systems and give CiviCRM a try. As a nonprofit, the FSF manages over 40,000 contacts and 15,000 donation transactions per year, a book publishing operation, online store, and several advocacy campaign websites with associated mailing lists — all with free software. A general purpose donor and contact management system will be the final piece of the puzzle for charitable organizations looking to operate using only free software. We plan to publish a guide offering our experiences as a resource for other nonprofits concerned with the social implications of their technology."

Non-profits concerned with "Social implications" Huh? Force.com foes! 

Sarcasm

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »

If you say Perk is Apple fanboi, then ITTO is SalesForce fanboi Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

If you say Perk is Apple fanboi, then ITTO is SalesForce fanboi Wink

Precisely!!!!!  I am a Salesforce fanboi!  Yet perks is only an alleged Apple fanboi since he vehemently denies the accusation.  Now then, why don't we put those pesky open source/free software platitudes to the test?  Will ITTO betray his passion for tech freedom in exchange for his SaaS seductress?  Tune in tomorrow... Same bat time, same bat channel  Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »

Yet perks is only an alleged Apple fanboi since he vehemently denies the accusation.
Come on, we all know that Perk is Apple to the bone. By now he is old enough to understand that resistance is futile and he just has to submit under Steve's will Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »

But ITTO I am very confused. How can you be excited about a company that wants YOU to write open source attachments to their closed source, proprietary system? I mean, when was the last time you had the opportunity to go over all the code for the salesforce engine?

I just wouldn't want to be involved with a company like that.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »

Come on, we all know that Perk is Apple to the bone. By now he is old enough to understand that resistance is futile and he just has to submit under Steve's will Wink
lol I am totally misunderstood. I have become all Apple because of how good their shit is. They've earned my respect and cash. But they are neither the only tool, or often the best tool for a job. But for most of MY jobs, they are hands down the best.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:38:15 PM »

lol I am totally misunderstood. I have become all Apple because of how good their shit is. They've earned my respect and cash. But they are neither the only tool, or often the best tool for a job.

There you have it.  He's certainly no Apple fanboi!

How can you be excited about a company that wants YOU to write open source attachments to their closed source, proprietary system?

It's a cerebral stretch I know.  But imagine signing a license agreement for, say, Windows 7 Ultimate, and then getting your rocks off playing a game that's optimized for this OS - when you are a member of the open source resistance??  Hard to reconcile but this might help.  I have always loved technology.  The Salesforce SaaS/PaaS cloud is worthy of the tech hall of fame, if it existed.  I respect and admire their achievements and welcome their passionate embrace of the open source community.  But yes, they have not simply opened up all of their source and as such, why in the hell would ITTO even mention them? 

They have my cloud respect as pioneers of the SaaS craft.  But between open and cool there is no contest.  Let freedom prevail Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »

Alrighty. But breathtakingly hypocritical, just so were on the same page here. As we go forward and you slam Apple for the very things that a company you love and admire does, I'll recall this post. Cheesy

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »

>But breathtakingly hypocritical

Precisely as hypocritical as when I commend Apple for their great achievements as well as commending Microsoft for theirs.  Not only is nuance impossible to understand, but the expression of such will reward you with the title of hypocrite   Shocked

And since you clearly missed all of the Wink Wink Wink Wink - which should help understand my true meanings, sarcasm or serious, I'll spell it out plainly now:

I posted about CiviCRM to support a free software alternative to Salesforce.com and others like them.  Having a deep respect for what Salesforce has accomplished and yet still posting about a freedom alternative Huh? 

Hmmm, I wonder why this would cause such strong reactions from others (that last sentence was sarcasm)  ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript