The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome 3  (Read 2958 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »

Chrome 3 is the performance champion, hands down.  But Chrome in general is getting awfully close to prime time usability as well, though it still lacks support for certain UI comforts that people still want (history tree, for example).

JavaScript performance comparison, in milliseconds.  IE7 get a horrible score on this one:
  • Chrome 3         775
  • Safari 4         1,030
  • Firefox 3.5     1,772
  • Opera 10       6,402
  • IE 8              9,015
  • IE 7            47,119

As for RAM it sits in the middle.  Safari uses the most:
  • Opera 10    189
  • Firefox 3.5  192
  • Chrome 3    253
  • IE 8           291
  • Safari 4      388

But boosting support for HTML 5??   Applause  I think they're doing a really good job with it.  And with everything they're managing it's no wonder Bing slipped in the back door.

Full article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352973,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

Is anyone paranoid about Chrome still? I've not read the EULA to see if they have their fingers into my browsing habits or not...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »

Is anyone paranoid about Chrome still? I've not read the EULA to see if they have their fingers into my browsing habits or not...

Primarily for cloud development it's a great thing.  Say I program into 4 main clouds.  The "browsing habits" are painfully boring and not very useful but programming "into" clouds at 128-bit encryption maintains the security I need.  I'd consider Chrome as a SaaS/PaaS/cloud browser and FF for multi-purpose stuff as a reasonable duet Smiley  Haven't gone completely Chrome for development yet but I just upgraded to 3 tonight so I'll see how stable it is.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »

Chrome is just an extension of Google Analytics & Adsense & Gmail in my mind. All designed to track your behavior so that Google can sell more advertisements. Google started of good but have lost their way. Same as Apple & Microsoft. It's kinda sad when you start to think how willingly average user gives their information away. If they realized how valuable behavior info is and how easy it is to track on the webs.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »

Nothing like a good read with your morning coffee.  I read through the EULA and included the referenced link within the EULA that points to the exact privacy issues concerning Chrome.  They only have three main "master" EULAs that they use but the privacy section is split out since it varies greatly between offerings.

Chrome is just an extension of Google Analytics & Adsense & Gmail in my mind. All designed to track your behavior so that Google can sell more advertisements. Google started of good but have lost their way. Same as Apple & Microsoft. It's kinda sad when you start to think how willingly average user gives their information away. If they realized how valuable behavior info is and how easy it is to track on the webs.

Well I have to say I'm rather stunned.  Not because I'm now concerned but because of how the rumor mill can totally change an appearance of something.  While it's true that gmail has the privacy issues everyone screams about, Chrome is virtually identical with the practices of IE and Firefox.  Additionally, it's open source and GNU licensed so they legally can't even do as much to harm you as Microsoft or Safari.

Aside from a few optional features like phishing, updates, and URL suggestions when entering a URL - all of which can be disabled - nothing is sent to Google, especially anything on an https page.  Google "collects information" and stores it on your own hard drive.  They call these "cookies" Wink These can be deleted anytime and they also offer "stealth mode" to eliminate even this level of tracking.  No kidding - cookies  Roll Eyes  But in fairness to the rumor mill, it wasn't until today that I knew the truth and had to read it for myself.  Please do the same or know that Chrome is right alongside all other browsers when it comes to privacy.

They even need a specific "Stealth Mode" to pacify privacy concerns  ROFLMAO

It's all right here:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html

The EULA that points to the above link for the privacy issues.  It deals with all the other legal stuff like copy protection for them, their affiliates, etc.
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Well I have to say I'm rather stunned.  Not because I'm now concerned but because of how the rumor mill can totally change an appearance of something.  While it's true that gmail has the privacy issues everyone screams about, Chrome is virtually identical with the practices of IE and Firefox.  Additionally, it's open source and GNU licensed so they legally can't even do as much to harm you as Microsoft or Safari.

Aside from a few optional features like phishing, updates, and URL suggestions when entering a URL - all of which can be disabled - nothing is sent to Google, especially anything on an https page.  Google "collects information" and stores it on your own hard drive.  They call these "cookies" Wink These can be deleted anytime and they also offer "stealth mode" to eliminate even this level of tracking.  No kidding - cookies  Roll Eyes  But in fairness to the rumor mill, it wasn't until today that I knew the truth and had to read it for myself.  Please do the same or know that Chrome is right alongside all other browsers when it comes to privacy.

They even need a specific "Stealth Mode" to pacify privacy concerns  ROFLMAO

It's all right here:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html

The EULA that points to the above link for the privacy issues.  It deals with all the other legal stuff like copy protection for them, their affiliates, etc.
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html
Then what's this: http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php ?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »

That's Iron.  Wait, what the hell is Iron?? Wink  I'm using IE, FF and Safari as a comparison, not Iron.  Looks like Iron may be a good option for privacy concerns but I need to use browsers that the rest of the world uses since my software has to run well in IE, FF, Safari and probably Chrome soon.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:56 AM »

I compiled Chromium on my machine.

Not really paranoid, I have the source. It's available on Google Code, and you can compile it from source on w/e platform you want.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

That's Iron.  Wait, what the hell is Iron?? Wink  I'm using IE, FF and Safari as a comparison, not Iron.  Looks like Iron may be a good option for privacy concerns but I need to use browsers that the rest of the world uses since my software has to run well in IE, FF, Safari and probably Chrome soon.
That's not really the point. Iron exists to eliminate Chrome's privacy concerns. To me if there's a separate spin-off product that exists only because some people find original too intrusive is too much and I prefer to use other solutions. It could be that IE, FF & Safari all have same kind of privacy issues but at least they don't fuck you sideways like Google does.

lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »

I had a problem with chrome not displaying checkboxes... so I figured maybe there was something out there on it and I ran across this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0551a15ebb64a498&hl=en

Restart my computer? Open the page in IE or firefox, to fix an issue with chrome? hahahaha... those are the most retarded "work arounds" ever. If I have the page open in IE or firefox, why not just use fucking IE or Firefox. And restart my computer? Really? Funny thing is I actually tried both of these and neither of them work, I still have no checkboxes rendering with chrome. That is the day I said bye bye to chrome as a valid web browser, at least for the time being. I'll try again in a few years when they have all the bugs worked out, but to not have something as basic as checkboxes working right is retarded.

Quick Edit: Don't bother with, "Well that was a year ago dude, update the thing..."... The last comment on that page is from 9/16/09 from a guy running version 3 and he still reports the same issue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:46:27 AM by lamontagne » Logged

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:01:28 AM »

I compiled Chromium on my machine.

Not really paranoid, I have the source. It's available on Google Code, and you can compile it from source on w/e platform you want.
Yep.  In any case, trusting a product with closed source over Chrome and citing "privacy concerns" as the reason? ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO  Are you f.u.c.k.i.n.g kidding me??

Put down the and rethink your assertions

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript