The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: chinese make minature black hole  (Read 2271 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/chinese-scientists-create-artificial-miniature-black-hole/1670/
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »

Nice.  But I thought the whole planet would get consumed by a tiny black hole Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »

Marketing hooie, it would seem.

Kind of like adding "Java" to web scripting to make it "JavaScript" because "Java" was hot at the time, but really they have nothing to do with each other.

It seems to contain and stop the elimination of light, but except for the fact that it's created, maintained, built on different energy and doesn't do the same things as a black hole, it's exactly the same  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »

@perks, you are right.
I think it is possible that the origional article was not translated properly.
Or possibly it was simplified to make it easier for normal humans like us to understand.
The correct term should be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body , which is amazing enuff since they should not exist Smiley
But then again how many know what a black body is lol Smiley

Reading the thesis which the article refers (granted I do not understand 90% of it) is very interesting.
Mathematically before they made the material, for 10 years before they made a mathematical formula which would forcast what the properties of such a material should be.
Then using a circuit board technique they built up such material. They call it metamaterial.

The implications of it are huge.
Especially from a military perspective.
An aircraft coated with such a material would be invisible from radar, since it absorbs 100% of electromagnetic radiation from microwave wave length.
Also it would render the US patriot missle system and US star wars program useless how can u track a missle if u can not see it.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »

technically it is a "form of black hole", in that something disappears into it.
A black body, i am pretty sure is a physical thing that is measurable.
Whereas a black hole is not. Its there, but yet not physical, and as such, not directly measurable.

This is a  magnetic hole, that bends microwaves. The thing that annoys me about this, is that they are using basically a wall of shit in a circle.
Hey guess what, I am no physicist, but im guessing if I make a hollow cylinder out of lead, no microwaves are getting in there either. So WTF is the big deal? Obviously I am too stupid to get it... lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:55:39 PM »

Obviously I am too stupid to get it... lol

Yes, yes you are nuts.  And so am I Wink  It's black hole "light," where the event horizon can be traversed with the appropriate allocation of cash  ROFLMAO

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 01:32:32 AM »

Juicy headline.   Praise

With all due respect...

The article says it's artificial, (not real).

As nop was pointing out in another thread, the human mind sees things (patterns) where none exist.

In this case, the human mind sees "Oh, they are claiming to have created a real black hole!".

All the comments below the article are saying "but, it's not a REAL black hole".

No one made that claim.

Cheesy

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »

With all due respect...
The article says it's artificial, (not real).
As nop was pointing out in another thread, the human mind sees things (patterns) where none exist.
In this case, the human mind sees "Oh, they are claiming to have created a real black hole!".
All the comments below the article are saying "but, it's not a REAL black hole".
No one made that claim.
Cheesy

I appreciate your comment Bompa and upon further inspection did notice some comments that seemed to suggest the obvious - that it's not actually a black hole.  But the title and the text of the article follows, and unless I'm mistaken they fail to come clean with the same level of honesty.

Chinese scientists create artificial miniature black hole
By Andrew Nusca | Oct 16, 2009 | 12 Comments

Chinese physicists have created an artificial black hole that measures just 8.5 inches across.

The device, which can suck up microwaves of light and convert them into heat, uses “metamaterials,” specially engineered materials that can bend light. They’re used to manufacture super-clear lenses, among other things.

The black hole bends light not by relying on gravity, but instead by using a series of metallic resonators arranged in 60 concentric circles.

The resonators alter the electric and magnetic fields of a passing light wave, causing it to steer toward the center of the hole, spiraling closer to the center of the black hole until it reaches the 20 innermost layers, where another set of resonators convert the light into heat.

In other words, the light is completely absorbed, and never exits the hole.

In defense of my earlier caviler comments, as my bold text suggests the article does attempt to produce maximum shock value through misleading statements.  Comments below the article clarify things but the article itself seems perfectly content to mislead.  Nop_90's other comments about possible use of this technology are totally interesting but the article itself deserves a little "boo" IMO for its deceit-factor

Frankly my heart skipped a beat when I first read the title and when the dust settled I felt a little stoopid for my momentary lapse of reason Wink

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 04:01:25 AM »

Article sucks shit  ROFLMAO
Probably what happens when journalists do not have the slightest idea what they are writing about  ROFLMAO

scientific american seems to do a much better job describing it Smiley

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=electromagnetic-black-hole
Researchers Create an Electromagnetic "Black Hole" the Size of a Salad Plate
A collection of metamaterial rings efficiently absorbs microwave radiation the way black holes gobble up matter and light, and an optical-light analogue may not be far behind

Note proper headline, with a problem by line underneath it.
Anyway very interesting.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »

I think it's fascinating dilemma that would man-made blackhole start to expand and thus swallow everything in the nearest galaxy.

But the more I think about it, that would be the ultimate legacy I can imagine this race called humans will leave behind. We have already wrecked one planet so let's go with a bang and take few other million planets with us.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »

Researchers Create an Electromagnetic "Black Hole" the Size of a Salad Plate

Yep - never would have commented if black hole was in quotes.

so let's go with a bang and take few other million planets with us.

ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript