The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 01:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest android tablet?  (Read 5958 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »

Realizing that there are going to be clients who use android, I probably need to get at least a little up to speed on the ins and outs.

Anyone have a suggestion of the cheapest POS out there?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »

For one that's somewhat usable for more than a doorstop, probably the Archos 101.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

I wouldn't even consider an Android tablet anytime soon.  Greenbacks are more useful as kindling until the sheep-shoppers beta test everything more thoroughly.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

I guess I'm curious as to why.

Since the UI seems to be different between different Android deployments (based on vendor desires) then "getting up to speed" with a real cheapy is not at all what your clients will want to do. You'll want to recommend a go-fast - and even then, which one? And why *that one*?

Confusing.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »

HTC will be releasing a tablet soon. Latest rumor is march. They have had a beta for the last 3-6 months, but are working out the bugs.
From android phones HTC is the best. Samsung etc. released thiers too soon, and Samsung is under powered.
I think even the HTC Desire was late in release. But they made up for it in sales, since it is a good reliable product.
If apple faces any competition it is from HTC.

I am not sure how HTC compares to other android phones. The biggie it has that iphone does not have is "widgets".
It also has 8 "main screens" and then a place kinda like a start menu where all installed apps are located.
The "widgets" can be useful. So there is like a weather widget that shows basic information when the device is turned on.
Same thing with phone listings etc, you can make a favorites widget.
You can also slide these around to different screens. So it is not as "simple" as the iphone, but you can configure it more.
Honestly I do not use my iphone that much anymore.

Anyway if the HTC phones are any indication, wait for HTC tablet.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:42:49 AM »

>UI seems to be different between different Android deployments (based on vendor desires)

I agree. But for $300, NB would have a tax-deductible prop to show clients. He could even give it to his now technically proficient toddler to review.

>Samsung is under powered

We're not finding any problems with the Galaxy i500 smartphone. Louise likes it a lot ...so much so that I'll probably get the Galaxy tablet when they go to android 3.  But nop's HTC will be the other one to consider based on reviews of the Desire.

<added>
Android 3.0 Platform Preview and Updated SDK Tools
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/01/android-30-platform-preview-and-updated.html

New User Features
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.0-highlights.html#UserFeatures
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:49:15 AM by rcjordan » Logged
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »

I agree with RC on tax deduct etc. In our business you have to invest money to see what people are doing etc.
One day I will probably buy an ipad just to check it out.

Samsung has the Galaxy tab, I will check it out today. (I live in rural area so it take a while for latest gadgets to arrive).

The galaxy i500 was just what I heard from a guy who had one. Again it depends what you using it for.
I was under the assumption that it was like the N97 (nokia) where they just made a smart phone as quick as they could just to say they have a compeditor to iphone. When I examined that one, it was a POS.

Appeal of iphone/ipad/ipod is that it is "idiot proof". It is a different market segment.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »

>galaxy i500
>it depends what you using it for.

Exactly.  Given that my wife's real estate firm had moved to google's cloud years ago and that this phone sync'd to that cloud natively, it was a no-brainer.  We are tied to US Cellular because they have the best coverage of our rural area so we ended up with the i500 simply because it was the best smartphone they had available back in December. That, and during my reading around I had seen consistently good reviews of the galaxy tab, except for its price. I was willing to bet that the phone would be pretty good as well.  That bet has paid off.

Keep in mind that I have no direct hands-on experience with iphone or android.  But I read extensively and absorb a lot of peripheral data. (That's been my job for 40 years now. I'm sort of a "Professional Quick-Study" or jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none.)  Even without having used a smartphone I was able to suggest apps or native capabilities that has allowed Louise to whip the android into something more computer-like.  Suspecting that it would be underpowered if allowed to let apps run in background, the first thing to do was to find something like task manager and start killing stuff.  Yep, there is a task manager of sorts, so move it to the home screen. Louise now nukes anything she's not using and -BINGO- speed is tolerable and battery life almost doubled.

I just had her load a file manager app yesterday, now I can see where this thing is using disk space.  Give me a few more weeks and I'll have it looking like XP, hhh!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:56:04 AM by rcjordan » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »

Give me a few more weeks and I'll have it looking like XP, hhh!

... And how proud you should be  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »

>XP
>And how proud you should be

Funny thing about XP... it still seems to be the favorite Win OS for techs I know who like to manage their whole computer versus consumers just using programs.  I'm sure that's mostly due to familiarity but even those tech friends with a good daily working knowledge of W7 are commenting that they still miss XP.

Re android vs ipad:
We had our first ipad hands-on last weekend and came away generally disappointed. It surfed ok, but nothing blew us away. I was going to buy one of the new ver2 models but now I'll probably hold off for some android 3 tablet.  Louise was even more disappointed due to the poor experience with touch-typing on the virtual keyboards. Androids have a sort of pseudo-stenographic gesture-typing called 'swype' that really speeds text entry and she's crazy about it. No way she's moving to a device without it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:47:07 AM by rcjordan » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »

Actually I'm right with you. Given the option, we most often will use XP vs any of the newer OSs - particularly thin clients - because it's a little more malleable and less "Just click here and I'll screw it up fix it for you."

What about the iPad didn't blow you away, thinking that an Android would be better? I'm curious if you think anything 'droid would actually BE better. There's noise out there, but nothing I see points to a superior experience in any way - either lower cost, but lower features / quality or higher price and STILL nothing fundamentally better. I wonder if it's the pad experience in general that disappoints.

BTW - spending time with the Android store vs. Apple makes it clear who's in the lead as well. Although there are a couple things that Apple doesn't have and you need to jailbreak for, the vast majority look to be spam or useless. Given the recent threads talking about how nervous developers are about god stuff getting drowned out by fart ringtone apps, I don't know if you're in for a better experience or not.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »

I was pretty disappointed with email on the iPad, especially when I realized new emails would not flow in unless the email client was the top window.  Since I had so much to sync I had to keep the pad on without using it for anything else for a long time (overnight). 

But it's the navigation and touch-screen that really slows me down so I'd probably not be happy with an Android tablet either  Undecided

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »

>Samsung
"Samsung topped 80 million quarterly shipments for the first time, buoyed in part by its hugely successful Galaxy S line. Samsung is having success in emerging markets as well as mature ones. By comparison, iPhone sold particularly well in mature markets, such as Europe and North America."

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Samsung-and-ZTE-shift-the-spotlight-from-Apple-in-Q4-mobile-phone-shipments/1296233337

Louise has shown the Galaxy to two early-adopter/heavy user Iphone owners (not together, different sessions). I quietly watched their reaction without any sort of steering.  Both are techies, one very much so. Both were impressed with the Galaxy UI and 'feel' as compared to iphone. Both fairly quickly honed in on the "Hey, this isn't far from being a laptop" idea.  They were outright jealous of the swype text capability.

>it's the navigation and touch-screen that really slows me down so I'd probably not be happy with an Android tablet either

Same for me.  The only reason I'd buy a pad of any flavor would be for faster boot-to-browsing speed just for more convenient casual reading.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

Yea the galaxy has looked like the right direction for an ipad alternative. More the size of an ebook reader, which i think a lot of people would want. Looks to be similar build quality to ipad.
if i had money to burn atm i would just go grab one of those.

i will be interested in HTC. They always seem to turn a solid product.

$350 for the archos. meh a little more than i hoped. I will just go with an emulator and check some stuff out i guess.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

<slight hijack>
ITTO - I don't believe you are correct re. email inflow. There is a timing section in the setup that allows it to check on whatever interval you want. I have mine set to 30 minutes, but if I go to email faster than that, it checks when I bring it up. It is pretty much always up to date when I come to it.
</slighthijack>

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript