The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chart of cell phone costs over life  (Read 4562 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »

I find it interesting how close they all are. obviously the price point is $3000 over 2 years. Yes, the nexus1 column shows $2500, but thats only if you buy the phone without contract, which costs $500 bucks, bringing you back up to $3k. (the guy making the chart did a bit of crazy lafthand/righthand math on that column.

or $2k for limited data.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:13:51 AM »

It seems that the push towards minimum margin is clear in that model - all the providers are probably sitting as tightly as they can and making a little. That'll change over the next year or two of course, but you're right that's an interesting comparison.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »

ROFLMAO

Get one of these...  And a deeper explanation. 

"Based on this analysis, we can conclude that the Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go plan is the superior solution in all cases."

So if you rethink your "cell" approach and imagine doing most of your talking over wifi or even networked at home, on voip, then having a prepaid service for when you're not online, you save a huge amount of money.  I pay $2.99 per month for Skype and have unlimited crystal clear calls US/Canada.  I just boosted my prepay cell 2 months ago for $45.  I now have 375 minutes and 191 service days left.  True, I'm able to take advantage of being near a wifi when at home and at work, and the airport, the hotel, the library, the friggin coffee shop, etc., etc., but even still, I'd stick with a prepaid phone just for the sense of comfort I get when I realize I don't have to run up a bill or pay any minimums if cash flow is tight at any point in time.

Saving for a vacation?  Voip.  I'll call you right back - then talk forever with far better call quality than any cell service, period  Mobster

[oh yeah, no contractual fishhooks either]

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »

Like with anything, you can jump through hoops and save money. Sometimes a lot. Like biodesiel for example. You can drive a diesel car and buy gas at the station, or you can drive around with a pump truck, buy used oil from restaurants and filter it.

But why would you? If things are that desperate, one maybe should reconsider their needs...

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

Biodiesel -  ROFLMAO  Oh shit hun, running on empty, the restaurant's closed and there's nasty looking hitchhikers everywhere! 

As for hoops, well I jump through just as many "hoops" as one does when they have a land line and a cellphone, which was still the norm last time I checked.  The difference is I can talk on my "land" line when I'm near a wifi and have my laptop.  But I don't need to and simply use my cellphone whenever I'm roaming around.  Totally and completely a no-brainer and simple enough for a caveman to handle.  Then saving all that money, avoiding the hooks of contracts, the expense of insurance and co-pays when you drop/lose your expensive investment all make the choice an easy one, at least for me 

If I needed all that functionality in a handheld or a more portable device than my laptop I'd probably buy a pad.  But even with a pad I'd totally prefer to have crystal clear voice and would hope for a bluetooth or even a USB connector (Shocked) to talk hands free over voip on a wifi, headset on and able to use my hands while I talk.  Hell who doesn't want to browse when you're talking to someone that's totally boring?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »

Ok the numbers are in. I spend $71.76 every two years for unlimited Skype phone use and I average about $45 every four months for cell usage on my prepaid.  That's $360 for two years.  Total: $431.76 for 24 months of combined service  Grin

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »

Not knocking it at all. Just a function of priorities. I used to need to save every penny I could, and it had great value to me to do so. Now the effort of saving that money is often outwayed by the money I could instead earn in the time I had to spend saving.

Example is outsourcing work. I can only work 14-16 hours a day, but I get to keep all my money. Outsource and I get to keep a portion only, but it's a much bigger pile.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »

I definitely agree with the time versus saving pennies approach. In fact I'm far better at spending in the name of time savings than saving in general.

But I'm not sure where the time savings comes in. It's just as fast to grab a headset or grab a prepaid cell as it is to grab an iPhone or a land line. There's really no time or effort savings at all. In fact, there's an increased effort involved with configuring and managing an iPhone if anything, imo.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:44:28 PM »

Prepaid saves you money in most cases.
I had contract here for a long time. You have X minutes for a month but you do not get to carry them over.
Meanwhile if u go over the alloted minutes then they charge you like 2x the normal rate.
So either way you are fuked.

You can either get load cards here, and just keep a spare one.
Or somehow you can hook ur cell up to ur bank account. So everytime it runs out of load, u just text a certain code and it reloads from ur bank account.

Again it depends what u use ur cell for. Most of the time i just text which costs u fuk all.
But if u are a salesman or something then maybe a plan is a better option.

PhaŽton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:01:36 AM »

I just think its amazing how much money people pay for the loss
of their own personal freedom.

Think about how tough it is to just 'go hunting' for the weekend
and just not be around your voicemail till you get back sunday night.

Its taken the vacation away from everyone.. circa 1985 you could
change your outgoing voicemail message to say "Im out of town for
the weekend and Ill be returning late sunday night" Then you
have until monday am to check your voicemail.. Now you pay so
much money for the ball and chain.

I mean before the cell phone you could at least say you were stuck
in traffic and buy a few hours to sober up from happy hour and come
home...   what chains technology are locking us up with. And we pay
for it.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
PhaŽton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »

Another thought:

Does being so connected get any more done?

My stats are :  3 weeks talking to employer, one week coding.

It wasn't until i 'broke' my phone that i was able to get anything done.

If you think about it skype out is all you need.  Voicemail is extremely
wasteful.  You were busy, so you let it go to voicemail.  You spent the time
already they were trying to take by calling you.  Now later you spend more
time listening to the voicemail (x2) and then you call them back and
hear the same thing they said in the voicemail.(x3) Thats if there is only one
voicemail and we all know that they dont leave one voicemail. With skypeout
only you can interrupt them, not them interrupt you.  Cause anyone calling
you wants something from you so with skypeout only you guarantee they
cant get anything from you on THEIR schedule. Voicemail mortgages the only
real asset you have in the future: YOUR TIME.  Why give someone the power
to make you accountable to their messages?  What chains!

I find that by not answering my phone, ever and autodeleting voicemails I win the game.

I guess somehow these cunthellokittywads think that by autodialing my number
they are helping me to code... As soon as I get all the info from a client,
i shut my phone off/"break it" and make it clear that i cant be reached by phone..

...and stuff gets done.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:31:10 AM by PhaŽton » Logged

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »

Nice.  It is a little different, however, when someone is paying you expressly for the ability to talk with you.  As a manager of engineers and an engineer myself, I need and want to be responsive to them since this can make or break successes along the way.  Same with consultants supporting clients who pay to listen to their cyclical, nonsensical whining.

But true, on a personal level and outside of a business context it is amazing how we just assume that this is everyone's responsibility to devote as much time as others dictate we should through conversation and responding to voicemails. Some people even think you should spend $2,400 per year to have the best and most responsible of communication options such as an iPhone  ROFLMAO

PhaŽton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

I heaR YA and if i was making salary they could talk me to death like
my wife does .... but im a contractor ... making WAY less money
competing with dudes in INDIA who will do it faster, cant talk very good
and will do it for way less.

If I was employed then my time would be bought and they can control how
the game is played... I think thats why they call so much as a freelancer
i dont have to play their game.  I have to do what makes me money for the
time I spend on it.   But give me an office and an hourly wage and ill wear
a bluetooth earpiece and talk to you all day.. shit thats easier than coding but
once i understand what is to be programmed, how does it help progress on the coding
to stop three times a day and answer that your not done and the reason your not
done is because everytime you get focused, the phone rings.

PhaŽton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:56:04 AM »

Oh and this isnt some guy like you that can light a match on his own and what not.

No brainer here like some non-coder jackass who finds a new way to ask:

"Are you done yet?"  Three times a day.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »

>"Are you done yet?"  Three times a day.

ROFLMAO  That sucks.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript