The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 22, 2019, 02:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Characteristics of good program/script  (Read 8979 times)
patch
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

This usually leads to a database structure that then gets several refactorings, and then into classes/functions/stored procedures that would be useful in handling all the top-level jobs ie., the actual goals of the project. My projects have a tendency to have "no face" for a long time as I program the fundamentals, then start to come together really quickly as I use the tools like tinker toys to accomplish the ultimate objectives. This is contrary thinking to many of the so-called RAD programming devices, where you can see results really quickly - but does not necessarily mean that the underpinnings are well designed and structured as components.

I couldn't agree more with this kind of approach. It's all very well talking about agile this or ruby that or ci the other - they're simply tools to take advantage of a situation. Tools that almost encourage coders to 'dive' right in' without too much though of data structure, entities & elements.

Back in my corporate days when I used a CASE tool (remember those?) I was taught 'data & structures, entities, elements & attributes and the relationships between them' - get that right and everything else just flows from there.

Presentation of those data is just a layer, a way of presenting data to the user. Maybe I've missed something and the online world is 'different' but I've lost count of the number of times (both off line and, more recently online) I've seen applications wrestle with their data, almost trying to strangle it into submission to make it do what the coder wants when in reality the data structure isn't what the app requires ... it hasn't been given enough thought ...

What that generally means is 'tricksy' coding solutions to what are data problems ... and eventually, regardless of what tools you're using, unless you're very fortunate you're could get unsupportable spaghetti

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »

Ditto patch.  Nicely put.

When you can "see" an architecture without the help of a UI it changes many things.  I used to think notations like Booch and UML were a waste of paper but these days I think RAD developers that haven't had much experience outside of those environments would benefit from it.  RAD languages can actually make it easier to code yourself into a cul-de-sac, especially in terms of data and scalability.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:31 PM »

oh but see, you miss the whole point.

coding myself into a corner, guarantees that the client will need more work done!  ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »

coding myself into a corner, guarantees that the client will need more work done!

lol - do you have a business card? Wink  In your case I'd favor a virtual cul-de-sac and long hours of online gaming during your virtual rewrite Smiley

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »

WOW used to be how I spent a lot of my soft Dev hours... Poor poor silly clients.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:52 PM »

CoH was my fave since I could roll the hottest bikini-clad toons to follow around all day.  I even got a promotion after spending the vast majority of my time managing my team while playing Smiley 

I think this was the turning point in my career that brought me back to actually doing work as a software architect.  Management is way too easy  ROFLMAO

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript