The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...by 2011 the cloud computing market will reach $160 billion??  (Read 1365 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »

Let's assume the numbers need tweaking.  How about a major overhaul?  It doesn't change the jaw-dropping picture.  The massively disruptive cloud computing transformation is an awe inspiring transition to behold  Nerd

Samples:
The use of cloud computing in general has been spreading rapidly over the past few years, as companies look for ways to increase operating efficiency and data security. The cloud industry, which is in its infancy, will generate $3.4 billion in sales this year, according to Gartner Research.

However, Merrill Lynch analysts estimate that by 2011 the cloud computing market will reach $160 billion, including $95 billion in business and productivity applications. That makes the cloud industry one of the fastest growing markets in the world, as well as one of the most competitive.

Shocked

Toole pointed to business analytics as a top priority. To that end, IBM earlier this month launched the world’s largest private cloud-computing platform. Dubbed “Blue Insight,” IBM’s Smart Analytics Cloud combines the resources of more than 100 separate systems to create one large, centralized repository of business analytics. It hosts more than a petabyte – equivalent of 100 times the content of the Library of Congress – of Business Intelligence (BI) data.

And while it was initially designed to increase efficiency within the company, the bounty of information within the cloud has been made available to roughly 200,000 clients.   Applause

IBM says on its Web site that “cloud computing represents a paradigm shift in the consumption and delivery of IT services,” and CIO Tool called it “critical” to the company’s business.

Full article: http://www.moneymorning.com/2009/11/25/ibm-oracle/

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »

I just have to repeat this quote, since it brings out the uber nerd in me:

"It hosts more than a petabyte – equivalent of 100 times the content of the Library of Congress – of Business Intelligence (BI) data."   Praise

Wow the "data mining" possibilities are kind of endless Wink  Size matters.  Cloud size and cloud performance transforms our longstanding ideas of what IT is even capable of.  Just add increasing layers of business intelligence - side by side and one on top of the other.  All off a sudden the magnitude of possibilities might just explode your mind a wee bit  Grin

Data mining is fast becoming a misnomer.  How terribly limited is this concept?  "Mining??"  Ha!  How about explosive multi-directional data transformations driving dynamically evolving functionality providing unimaginably intelligent services - completely abstracted at all physical levels.  Mobster

to cloud computing!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript