The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:43:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser fingerprinting eats super cookies for breakfast  (Read 1111 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/192648/browser_fingerprints_a_big_privacy_threat.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

The method pulls together innocuous data about your browser, such as plug-ins, system fonts, and your operating system. Alone, they don't identify you. Together, they're a digital fingerprint.

Shocked

More Than a Rumor

Peter Eckersley, a staff technologist with the EFF, says he and his colleagues de­­cided to create the site when he heard rumors about this kind of tracking. He wanted to see how accurate it might be.  Well, it's pretty accurate. And as it turns out, its use is more than a rumor.  Browser fingerprinting was developed for banks to employ to prevent fraud. But now one company, Scout Analytics, offers it as a service to Web sites, and it collects not just browser data but also data about how you type--things like your typing speed and typing patterns.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »

hehehe I been doing this for 5 years LOL.
Or at least was until I stopped caring.

I had so many repeat visitors in short timeframes, that I needed to deal with the fact that they were giving away my sites to google by requesting the same ad units over an over. So i fingerprinted them and tracked in a central DB.

This really only worked for short durations though. Tracking over days didnt work so well because there are not an infinite number of fingerprints within some popular IPs, like AOL for example. But all the pieces together DO tend to be unique, because you run a slightly different plugin than another guy. Companies with we executed patch and software management running through something like ISA server was a problem, and should still be i think?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »

>Or at least was until I stopped caring.

In business, who needs to worry about tracking and locating people when you have more than enough fish in your cloud barrel to support, up-sell, secure recurring revenue from and finally shoot?  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript