The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 01:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxee, Hulu, WTF?  (Read 7904 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »

OK, so I'm a complete streaming video moron.

I've been toying with Boxee, because it looks like its cool and I can put it on my AppleTV to increase the capabilities of it. But I just don't get it. How do I add feeds? People talk about the BBC ... PBS ... Hulu ... I just don't get how to add/make use of it.

Any help greatly appreciated, you may giggle if I'm just being stoopid.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »

I know nothing at all, but doesnt it work with the online site?
http://www.boxee.tv/

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »

Yeah .... I'm playing around a lot with it, thus far it's hard to tell if I'm impressed. Streaming, even with a pretty big pipe, seems to be sketchy. Got a bit of it to work, and just now managed to view some movies from my personal stash... but I'm still wondering what the big hoohaa is all about.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:34 PM »

I stream all that crap to the xbox. Got no more cable sub because streaming hulu + netflix on demand is more content than we'll probably ever be able to watch, and shows come out the day after they air anymore.

It's a bit of a drain on bandwidth but really nothing unbearable.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »

I have Apple TV but it's so useless right now for me. I only use it to watch Youtube on my Kuro but even that usage is now declining because they don't offer Youtube HD for Apple TV (which is more than idiotic btw).

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:56:46 AM »

i stream to my xbox 360 from a pc with ushare. hulu doesn't work outside the us. Sad

isn't boxee a fork of xbmc? i think you'd have to hack your apple tv to get that to work.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:30:02 AM »

@ Boxee: There's a straight ahead hack to get it to work - @TV is just an OSX box that requires a special installer. Here, in fact, is the link to exactly how to do it:

http://gizmodo.com/5082130/how-to-max-out-apple-tvs-potential-with-boxee

I find the @TV to be awesome - I've scraped all of my movies and music to iTunes and have all of our pictures there as well. We've been on about a 2 year "dump the media" jag, trying to just get in touch with the content and how to use it, and it's starting to work well now. I think I'm going to try the Boxee hack just to see how well it works, since the un-hack is pretty straight forward as well.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »

that's actually pretty cool.

boxee (and xbmc) i think is built on mplayer so it will play anything.

i'm thinking when i have some free time i will build my own htpc. xbox 360 is nice, but doesn't support subtitles, no hulu or any online video except netflix which is xbox membership + netflix cost, and limited file support. plus i like to get my hands dirty - i'll spend more time building it than using it. Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »

I've ... um, heard, that a NetFlix account, combined with Handbrake and MacTheRipper (or the like) is an excellent way to augment your library.

I've just heard this of course.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »

i see.  Nerd
i've also heard rumors of this thing called called bittorent. i've heard in some countries with more restrictive laws people even combine this with someting called a 'vpn'.
but of course these are just rumors.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »

There are even hushed whisperings of something called "Dark Nets" where people apparently share all kinds of contraband.

A weird place, this iWorld, eh?

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »

that one sounds scary.

damn these kids and their science!
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

Grin

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 11:02:24 AM »

netflix + handbreak + xbox360 = happy 2 year old girl...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »

my son-in-law is deep into this streaming stuff for a couple of years now, maintaining a server at home to serve personal and work-related files and stream videos/tv for his entertainment while he travels (heavy-duty IT work).  he's been through several setups, but it now seems that the xbox has emerged as the cheapest and most mainstream way to get the job done. i told him to duplicate his set-up for me.  other than the xbox, he says we'll need to ramp up the wifi and use a fairly powerful laptop running Tversity for fast transcoding.

>I'm a complete streaming video moron

me too, i'm just repeating what he's said we're doing in case anyone reading along at home might find something useful. other than pointing a checkbook at the problem, i don't want to know too much about it either.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript