The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: bing - I have officially switched.  (Read 11407 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »

Its official.

I just changed my default search engine, and the little search box in FF to Bing.

its shortert to type also. lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 02:33:56 PM »

Hmm, more and more I start to hear talk about power users switching to Bing... I think there might be some sort of shift starting to happen. It's only matter of time anyway until somebody revolutionizes web again and I'm pretty sure that the next web point something is going to change Google big way.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »

I think their claim that it is a "decision engine" is interestingly accurate.

Google is still the crown prince of shear volume of results.
But as I think most of us here know, those results are mediocre at best. In particular for high value phrases.

But bing seems to have taken some old search engine ideas, like the NorthernLight "related items" of long ago, but seemingly a little "smarter" or at the very lest, more "right" for what you are probably actually interested in.

It seems to be more based on returning results that are more in line with the personality of what you searched for, instead of just being technically related to what you searched for.

For a long time now, I think a lot of us in the search engine game have felt that google is getting a little to over confident, and their results have been sucking more and more. It was only a matter of time until MS came out swinging, and actually applied their skill to it as a software solution.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »

It's funny but I've tried switching to Bing many times over the past few months but I just can't seem to pry myself away from my preferred iGoogle homepage Smiley  And although the search results seem to be "better", I've become so accustomed to wrapping search phrases with quotes and using the + sign that I still get what I want from Google.

I'm embarking on a search engine marketing project and all the buzz and focus is on Bing.  But Bing just seems to provide more random "I figured you might be interested in this result" results than Yahoo and Google IMO.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

How many search engines has MS attempted to make ?
Hmmm I think it must be close to 3-4 ?
Like every POS MS makes it takes them like 4 times before they get it half assed right and bring in users.
MS just get ahead because of shear determination  ROFLMAO
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »

Caution. Timewarp engaged...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum1/167.htm
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »

I don't think in the next 10 years Giggle will be outranked !

what's up?
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »

Never say never.  I'm sure I could find more than a few posts that would say

"I don't think in the next 10 years AV will be outranked !"

We're a fickle lot.  Why do you think G is so intent on engaging us via gmail, calendars, and the cloud?  They remember how easy it was to unseat AV ...all it took was some whitespace.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »

Yeah.. I think people can't grasp how big Google is and in what kind of market they are playing. Google is actually in trouble in many ways. Because they are now the leading horse they have to play catch up with all the startups. Web is a weird place when it comes to new stuff. Google came from nowhere (kinda) and took down Yahoo. Facebook came from nowhere and took down MySpace. Both MySpace & Yahoo seemed quite unshakable at the time. Like I said, Google as company is not going anything, too many smart people work there, but Google is going to change.

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:25:31 AM »

The goliath wakes Smiley Was only a matter of time before either M$ got their act together or thought that the web was mature enough to update its offering.

As people who deal with web technology on a daily basis its very easy for us to criticise M$ for being behind the times and anti-best practice, but ultimately for your average user these things don't matter - it could be argued that M$ has spent more time following consumer trends than technology trends.

M$ is a scary machine once it starts moving - yesterday I logged in to Live Messenger to be invited to an online quiz run through it here in the UK - each question has a Bing search box below it to help research the answer. Considering the demographics using Messenger this is an incredibly smart move.

I don't think Google are out of the game yet, but I do think they need to "pull their socks up".

DM
Bertje
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:29:21 AM »

I don't think in the next 10 years Giggle will be outranked !

That's what they said about AltaVista before 1999...

No links in signatures please
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

>MS

I think they have been/are focusing on the Xbox & Windows Mobile, and rightly so.  Gaining marketshare of internet users was just a battle campaign --a big and bloody campaign, to be sure-- but it wasn't the war. The war is for total dominance of the "online lifestyle." People used to say that it was a war for the living room, but media centers are just one front. Browsers are another. Smartphones yet another.  We're getting close to the point of ultimate convergence in this market. The Iphone, the cloud ...these are just waypoints. A whiff. A taste.  The Netflix-Xbox deal is another.

All this syncing we're doing is a massive PITA. One day in the not-to-distant future, I'm going to be able to walk into my media room and the network is going to ask me if I'd like to continue my mobile video chat and browser session on the 60" flatscreen since no one is watching a movie at the moment. If I say 'yes' of make the appropriate gesture shortcut, it'll proceed to hot swap all activities I have in process. When I leave the room, it will reverse the process. If I'm still working, my designated workstations --wherever they might be located-- will do the same process, except its primary focus will be work-related instead of entertainment.

>Bing

MS screwed up a great opportunity in search when the didn't prioritize their Search Champs meetings.  They had some great, real-world-savvy talent present, willing, and able to help with the refocusing of MS search.  IMO, they didn't (A) ask enough of the right questions and (B) implement what they learned. Or maybe they were just incredibly slow and Bing IS the outcome.

<added>

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/the-color-rings-is-wireless-est-way-in-cellphone-communication/

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20090902/174867/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:25:06 AM by rcjordan » Logged
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »

One day in the not-to-distant future, I'm going to be able to walk into my media room and the network is going to ask me if I'd like to continue my mobile video chat and browser session on the 60" flatscreen since no one is watching a movie at the moment. If I say 'yes' of make the appropriate gesture shortcut, it'll proceed to hot swap all activities I have in process. When I leave the room, it will reverse the process. If I'm still working, my designated workstations --wherever they might be located-- will do the same process, except its primary focus will be work-related instead of entertainment.
All this is done already. There's so much bigger things that will happen in the next 10 years that will change your life so much that this scenario you presented will feel like you feel now about the days when the telephones were the only network.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »

Like all great empires, MS followed the same path.

I think that MS is now in position to embrace youth and guide it with experience, corporately speaking.

I think MS is on the brink of winning the war for the living room.
Take the netflix on 360, rumblings of hulu on 360, ability to play videos from USB/ETH and throw in project natal, and you have your "i want to walk into the living room and have my TV ask if I want to pick of the movie where I left off".

I think we are right on the brink in the livingroom.

I also think that SEs are changing. They are changing from being run by nerds and marketing tards, to being guided by need.
I DO NOT NEED 50million results on how to change an air filter in my miata. I need 1 correct one, or at least a handlful of correct ones.
google is about volume. And that was great for the longest time, because that was a metric we all could understand easily. More is better!
BUT, people are starting to learn, just like in anything else, bigger is not always better. I would never want a dick with a 5 inch diameter for example, it limits your target audience to hookers and freaks.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

>a handlful of correct ones

Those here know this to be true. Others like to howl at the moon in forums and blogs, but the simple truth is that serps have been good enough for a long time now.  Hell, that was true even back in AV's heyday. From the 'consumer' standpoint, there was no discernible difference in the output of serps between AV, G, Raging, even Dogpile ...well, ok, maybe not Dogpile, hhh! (But a lot of people USED Dogpile.)

The difference was in the fringe stuff. Speed, UI, simplicity, ADS.  For the casual search consumer, that's still the case.

excellent related article: http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-09/ff_goodenough

That's not to say that the search engines didn't need to progress. Mostly, they had to build their defensive mechanisms because people figured out how to manipulate them. And they had to add new types of file formats.  For the past decade, it's been a marketing war, not a technology war.

>Xbox

I'm new to the Xbox. Only bought it to use as part of a media server setup. That Netflix on the dashboard is killer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript