The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 01:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Best choice for 'ac' powerless on the go computing....  (Read 11761 times)
mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »

roughly same price, what is the best choice for ac powerless on the go computing.

with a 10500mah battery from japan special order the asus eee can
go 10+ hours on full 'battery drain' tester app with wi fi and multimedia
going full blast.  What kind of time are yall peoplez getting on iphone/ipod touch.

I assume i could install lamp on the Xandros Linux asus eee pc... it was made
by asus the makers of the macbook as well...

what kind of battery life are you folks getting on those iphones?

being able to plug the asus eee pc into a regular monitor and that full size
keyboard make it alluring to me as opposed to iphone/ipod touch..... can apache
also be installed on the ipod/iphone for full *amp?

Thoughts/opinions?

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/index.html

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:23:05 AM by mampy » Logged
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »

I've begun buying all my notebooks from asus. They make a mean machine for cheap. Very high build quality.

Not really anything to do with your question sorry, but I've not done the research.

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

Indications are that apache has been set up on hacked iphones (but may no longer work).
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-iphone-ipod-touch-app-launches/2665-apache-iphone-how-cool-4.html

I know some guys running ssh clients on the iphone to get to their servers...
http://comments.deasil.com/2008/08/18/iphone-ssh-review-issh-v-pterm-v-touchterm/

>asus

I bought the eee when it first came out (the small screen one w/ linux). Love it, it's my coffee-table browser.  Since I just wanted it for browsing and it does that well (cold boot to web in 45 seconds), I've never even updated the OS.  Battery time is about 3 hours on that one.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »

IMO the iPhone is best as a cool also, not a primary network box. SSH is really problematic on such a small screen and until they come up with a keyboard that I can attach without breaking the phone it's pretty much a curiosity and nothing else. You can break the phone and then run a full LAMP stack, however it's really low on RAM by comparison and a wimpy processor. Seems, again, like a cool hobby project and not something you'd actually use.

I'm in MX at the moment and having trouble with the network, so my responses will be sporadic. Tis gorgeous down here though... I've got my notebook, one extra 20" monitor sitting on my huge balcony with the ocean behind it. It doesn't get much better.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

ya this is perks "travel rig"

Nerd

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »

A terrible forgery. I never use windows.  Nerd

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »

If everything's setup right, you shouldn't need much processing power at all on your "mobile" platform. I like to have a desktop replacement laptop myself, nice and powerful. But for the stuff that needs to happen constantly, no matter what, I leave it at home on even more powerful boxes (actually, a MUCH more powerful cluster of much less powerful boxes if you want to be technical).

hai
ekibastos
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »

the asus ultra slim pc s101 boasts 8 hours battery life out of the box and a keyboard that's 85 percent the size of a normal keyboard.

I have been using mocha vnc and palm ssh on my treo for quite some time now with the palm cell phone modem, a bit slow but so am I. lol. I was looking into the eee as well because I'm so sick of this  tiny screen...

@RC:  can you sudo into root tty and apt-get, etcetera? Is it a debian system?

Idea...

<quote nutballs>
Apple is that hot chick that gives you lots of sex but is a total bitch with a horrible abusive temper.
</quote>
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

>@RC:  can you sudo into root tty

I can't do crap with it, as I don't know jack about linux.

I'm also on the first eee asus offered, and newer units may have a different flavor of linux by now.

Here's what I have:
OS is an ASUS-customized variant of Xandros Linux (based on Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 [”etch”], kernel 2.6.22)
runs the K Desktop Environment (KDE)

somebody did a howto for Ubuntu:
http://www.sampletheweb.com/2007/12/09/ubuntu-on-the-asus-eee-pc-part-1-or-how-to-run-a-functional-ubuntu-install-off-a-usb-drive/

a Fedora 8 knockup:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:eeedora

ssd/ram on my eee
4GB SSD, 512MB RAM: Internal storage is divided into four partitions, the first two of which are combined via UnionFS: / (root) partition (2353MB, ext2), /home partition (1338MB, ext2), a FAT32 partition (8MB), and an EFI partition (8MB). (No swap partition is configured by default.) Note that of the 4GB total capacity, only about 1.3GB (35%) is available to the user
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

this actually made me think of something I have been wanting for a while.
It would be awesome to have a device that had a small little screen, keyboard and mouse, and plugged into the USB port of a computer. It could then be used to control a machine that has no screen/keyboard/mouse. I guess it would probably need to plug into the vid port as well.

I always find myself needing to hook up physically to a machine that doesn't normally have anything attached to it except power and network cable. but network is not cooperating.

a boy can dream...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »

I have the same issue - lots of headless boxes that I sometimes want to jack into. So I have a roll-up USB keyboard with an extension cord that I connect a USB bluetooth mouse to. I tried for a bit to get 600x800 monitor goggles to work, but it wasn't quite sufficient. But that's my plan - I want to find some goggles that look OK with the a mouse and keyboard that crunches up to almost nothing in my briefcase. Besides being small and easy, I figure there's no end to the geekcred (or complete humiliation) that I'll garner with that rig  Nerd

I'll bet I get want I want this year... seems like momentum is going in the right direction. There are more goggles on the market and I'm going to try the 'table light keyboard' I think - the one that projects a keyboard onto a table and then you just touch the table in the right place. My goal is not an all-in-one device, but 3 little pieces I can combine as necessary.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »

or......

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/30/large-form-ipod-touch-to-launch-in-fall-09/

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »

That just might do it. Not as cool as horribly geeky glasses hanging off my nose, but hey, I'll get over it.

Am I the only one perpetually amazed that it's New Year's Eve and we're remotely celebrating and vEnjoying each other at the same time? The tubes rock man. (Could be my spectacular Margis as well...)

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »

i agrees. the tubes are the bestest thing evar!

but people need to stop celebrating and get back to buy stuff through my affiliate links dammit.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »

Ah, let them celebrate. I'll give them another 2, even 3 hours.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript