The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T sues Verizon over TV ads  (Read 1450 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »

Love it! http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/110309-att-sues-verizon-over-tv.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2009-11-04

Hope they work things out in a decade or so after redistributing their wealth to sleazy lawyers  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

"The World's Fastest 3G Network*"

AT&T is miserable out here and probably the single thing I dislike about my iPhone. I am very hopeful that exclusivity will go away next year, as some predict. And using EDGE is almost as bad as not being connection. Almost. I guess, if you can't actually produce the network you're marketing, then sue someone to try to raise enough cash to feel better.

* if you can actually connect.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »

"The World's Fastest 3G Network*"

* if you can actually connect.

ROFLMAO  I'm not very fond of Verizon or AT&T.  I got locked into a Verizon contract with an XV6700.  It had everything I wanted with a slide-out qwerty keyboard, touch screen, "games", "high-speed" Internet "browsing", and nice bluetooth for my handsfree.  I even had a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse for airport-style emailing, and it even played videos!  The wifi was really nice with my 802.11N at home and was fantastic with the office 802.11g as well.  Damn thing was unstoppable in every way.  Well actually the bills were unstoppable, but not in a positive way Sad  Is $480 on the high side for just one month?  In any case they criminally misrepresented the estimated monthly bills I could reasonably expect to pay.

But come to think of it there was actually just one clearly stoppable element to their service.  Unlike Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile that had decent reception at the location where I worked, well let's just say Verizon wasn't answering when I screamed "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW FKR???  YOU PEOPLE ARE BASTARD PEOPLE!!!!"  This was in a specific east area in South St. Paul Minnesota, where I later realized that although they constantly flooded you with "always clear signal" marketing, the dirty little secret was that Verizon was effectively a DEAD OPTION for the specific location I had just moved to.

And the nightcap.  After gathering as much information as possible from locals with the same stories, blogs and reviews backing up my claim, my fresh 3-YEAR contract was in absolute stone.  Buyers remorse clause to the lions.  And every miserable iteration I endured hooking up special antennas that I paid for - that did squat, along with antenna boosters costing more out-of-pocket money, turned me into some rabid anti-cellphone contract vigilante. 

So I'd be perfectly happy to see Verizon receive the same treatment from AT&T Don't make me...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »

I have many clients that want the iPhone, but they live in/around the local foothills and the AT&T reception is just horrible. Well, in fairness, I've had TMob and Sprint and there are just as many dropouts in different places (haven't had Verizion). So AT&T comes out with something that effectively replaces their need to put up new antennas ... the femtocell.

So for $150 to start, another $20/month, and a bandwidth limitation/minute charge you can solve AT&T's problem - they don't need to strengthen their cell network in your area, you give them more profit and your voice is carried on someone else's broadband connection.

Perfect.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »

>the femtocell

In all honesty I would have jumped at the friggin chance.  Not that it's anything desirable but there's just nothing like getting chained to a contract with absolutely nothing to resolve the situation.  I was able to get spotty reception on my drives to and from work and both at home and the office I had other phones to use. 

Where I'd strongly support a regulatory move in this arena is to make sure AT&T is up front about the need for a femtocell in these areas.  In general wireless companies should not get away with leveraging your desire to maintain your credit score while gouging you with mandatory monthly payments - for years, especially when they are not providing the service you committed to in the first place 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript