The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T offers app to help identify how crappy they are  (Read 1783 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »

Although who knows what they'll do with it, this is an interesting way for them to gather more data on dissatisfaction with their network:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/07/mark_the_spot_iphone_app_aims_to_find_att_trouble_areas.html

I applaud their willingness to take that kind of heat. I'd REALLY like to hope that it's in an effort to improve and not placate.

//goes off to iTunes to acquire app//

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »

Undecided 

I'm thinking this is something that should have been done in the beginning and they should have been listening to their customers from day one.  Timing mistake.

This validates Verizon since they're addressing an issue that from a marketing perspective, should be positioned as a non-issue.  Now AT&T appears to be on their heels in defense mode, validating this elephant in their backyard that Verizon leverages to gain market share.

But I agree completely that if it's not just lip service, it's the right thing to do and has the potential to improve their service.  It just seems a little "lunch room suggestion box" to me considering timing.  AT&T has a gigantic uphill battle if they seriously plan to convince the public that they even care to listen to us.  Another good move in this direction, imho, would be to openly embrace their exclusivity with Apple.  By keeping silent on this and ignoring Apple in the press, I think AT&T is subtly suggesting that they ignore their customers in general.  Whatever the slice of their business belongs to Apple, they should honor it rather than ignore it IMO.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »

This validates Verizon since they're addressing an issue that from a marketing perspective, should be positioned as a non-issue.  Now AT&T appears to be on their heels in defense mode, validating this elephant in their backyard that Verizon leverages to gain market share.
... and leaves room open for other players like TMob to get a stronger foothold...

By keeping silent on this and ignoring Apple in the press, I think AT&T is subtly suggesting that they ignore their customers in general.  Whatever the slice of their business belongs to Apple, they should honor it rather than ignore it IMO.
The rumor boards seem to think that AT&T's silence here is endemic of their impending loss of exclusivity. Sounds logical, although utterly devoid of proof. Smith Barney (or equiv) thinks TMob is the chosen heir, we'll have to see.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:23 PM »

Smith Barney (or equiv) thinks TMob is the chosen heir, we'll have to see.

T-Mobile is my warden of choice ROFLMAO  Honestly I hope the "chosen heir" is everyone.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »

The challenge is not so much "exclusivity" as network connection - Apple just doesn't have the chipset to connect to Verizon (for example) because their CDMA network is old and crappy. The reason their thinking TMob is the next, is that the connection to their 3G is the smallest change in chipset. Of course, if the 3Gness doesn't bother you, and it's just about voice net and WiFi then I think it will be a more open ball game.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript