The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T is right. Holy wow, Batman...  (Read 2415 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/185649/atandt_tells_fcc_its_time_to_cut_the_cord.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

In response to a Notice of Inquiry released by the FCC to explore how to transition to a purely IP-based communications network, AT&T has declared that it's time to cut the cord. AT&T told the FCC that the death of landlines is a matter of when  , not if, and asked that a firm deadline be set for pulling the plug.

I suppose when the image of a corp with gigantic pockets is swirling deep in some toilette, even speaking the truth is on the table.  Wait, is using toilette and table in the same sentence a mixed metaphor?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »

I think the telcos are realizing that they are going to be stuck with a huge infrastructure to maintain with only, say, 10% of the population sticking with landlines.  Better to have the gov 'force' the final diehards to make a switch.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »

yea its not a "common sense" decision on their part. Its purely a financial one. all those POTS punchdowns are absurd now, and dealing with them is getting more and more expensive. Considering most call traffic jumps into IP anyway at some point, it makes it even dumber.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

>all those POTS punchdowns

My hometown was Sprint, then Embarq, and -recently- CenturyLink.  I know a few of the longtime commercial installation techs and they're a pretty depressed group. About all they have going for them now is DSL, maintenance of the panels and wiring along the highway right-of-ways, and a few small business multi-line installations.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »

adapt or die. unfortunate but reality.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »

I did an abbreviated apprenticeship with a telco when we were buying and selling 800 numbers in the early 90s. The amount of copper laid our for POTS lines is literally stupid.

Funny, however, that a company that is buns-up-kneeling from "those damn iPhone users" wants to even TALK about going wireless for everything. Perhaps they should tidy up their own house before whispering a word.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

You would have to study US Telco law.
I am guessing it is a similar situation to USA/Canada with passenger trains.
From day one the big $$$ is in shipping frieght, train companies never wanted to move passengers.
But in order to get the right of ways, huge gov't subsidies etc, the agreement was they had to move passengers.
By the 1970s, train companies intentionally started to make passenger travel so difficult on trains, that people stopped taking them. Then by the 1980s they could use the excuse "No one is taking the train", so they then lobbied the gov't to change the law, so that they no longer had to offer passenger service.
So it is possible that when AT&T got the right of ways 90+ years ago part of the agreement is they have to offer home service.

The phone system was designed as an analog system. AT&T has know since probably 1960 that thier landline system is obsolete. But they have not upgraded it. Just offer basic landline, squeezing as much $$$ out of it until .......
As perks said the amount of copper they have laid is insane. If i remember correctly, it was telus, in one part of their system they replaced it with fiber optic, but it did not cost them a cent. It was all funded by the recovered copper. From a tax perspective they actually made $$$$ Smiley. They dig up all the copper, which had an artificially high $$$ value as a "system", so now they can write it all off tax. Then they lay fiber, which they can depreciate over XXX years.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but AT&T is not going to die soon. Ages ago I read a book on the history of AT&T. Basically they united all the independant telcos in USA under their umbrella. The methods they used where down right brutal. For each telco (each major city/town had their own phone company) they would offer to buy them out. If they would refuse, often they had "accidents", mysterious fires etc. By the 1920s they had a monopoly and where able to offer long distance where they big $$$ where. The only potential competition was western union. Using massive amounts of lobbying, AT&T was able to get congress to legislate that WU would not be allowed to enter the long distance buisness with voice. In fairness if there would not have been an AT&T, USA would not have as good of phone system as they do. It would be like a zillion small mom and pop telcos.

The big value of AT&T is their right of ways. Both in radio and on land. Ideally AT&T would like to shut down all customer service Smiley. Then just rent out the right of way to other providers Smiley. Again the right of ways back 90+ years ago they got for free.

Don't believe me lol
The big $$$ is in the under sea cables they have.
AT&Tís Undersea Cable Capacity Grows With Asia America Gateway Submarine Cable Network
http://www.corp.att.com/emea/insights/pr/eng/undersea_031209.html

AT&T & NTT join trans-Pacific undersea cable consortium
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9902706-7.html

AT&T begins construction on two new cable ships.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-7039615.html

The undersea cables is one place where no one else can compete. Literally because they do not know how.
20 years ago AT&T had the only ship able to lay deep undersea cable.
They now have that largest (possibly only fleet) of cable ships (5) and 80+ years of experience which no one else has. Also a very expensive buisness to get into mainly because if the cable breaks while you are laying it, there is a possibility that the entire cable that has been laid will be lost. Kinda difficult to send a lineman down 2km to go do a quick patch job.

Sea is very tricky but profitable Smiley
Hueghs made a bundle when he was the only one able to recover the sunken russian nuclear submarine. Not counting the rumors that he only gave back some of the russian sub to the CIA, keeping some of the tech for himself.

Even when the Kursk sunk, the norwegian divers where the only ones with the tech able to attempt a rescue mission. Again not a buisness you can easily break into, unless u plan to lose a lot of divers Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript