The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 02:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Andriod is taking over  (Read 6093 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »

Seems like every day I hear of another Android device: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354454,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »

Android seems like a great idea, but also seems scattered and a little bit All Things To Everyone to me... is it my imagination, or does it kind of lack a central vision and push?  Almost seems like the worst possible thing for a piece of technology: "It can do anything!"

And you're right IMO ... looks to me like everyone wants to get pole position on tablets before Apple releases theirs (if they do, nothing's been confirmed at all) - what's striking to me is the rehashed look of them ... not a lot of raw innovation coming out ATM. I actually wish M$ was more on the innovation bandwagon because they're one of the few houses with enough horsepower to throw down gobs of cash at pure research ATM.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »

>is it my imagination, or does it kind of lack a central vision and push?

That's the feeling I get, too.  But I think it's more deliberate. There is an underlying feeling that this opensource stuff is going to end up killing some of their cash cows.  Weak sister competitors will be first to push it because it'll be a last resort, competitively speaking.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »

Shocked ITTO will not be liking that sentiment  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »

In his heart, he knows I'm right.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »

In his heart, he knows I'm right.

Heart and brain Wink

Not sure why I wouldn't like the sentiment, unless you imagine I'm a Google head ROFLMAO 

The power of open source may be realized by Google and harnessed as effectively as possible, however, the true power lies in sharecropping and not in securing the future for the monolithic gorillas of old.

Kurdt may be right about Google and their impending demise.  I'm not convinced it's a foregone conclusion and in fact believe they'd reinvent themselves out of most lethal disasters.  But Google knows what M$ knows (as Gates presented in 2005): their mega margin days are done.  Dead.  Over.   

Even with could computing such as Azure, M$ has openly revealed that the margin picture of the future is challengingly lean.  Cheers to that!!  Roll your damn sleeves up and earn what you receive.  Not a hard concept for me to get my brain around

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Android seems like a great idea, but also seems scattered and a little bit All Things To Everyone to me... is it my imagination, or does it kind of lack a central vision and push?

Ditto and  Ditto to rc on @intentional. 

I think they are positioning themselves to be groomed in various ways by those who require functional specificity.  Designed correctly, as it appears is the case with Android, a platform will not be so brittle as to break when differently configured Nerd

Some exceptions apply of course but designing to shrink wrap as opposed to flexibility is an expensive allocation of tech and human resources.  Eventually a more modular approach will outperform the perfect-fit offerings, at least if history has anything to tell us about it.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »

Of course, there's always the possibility of an endplay.

"Google is working with a smartphone manufacturer to have a Google-branded phone available this year through retailers and not through telcos"

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10614007/1/exclusive-google-plans-its-own-android-phone.html

<added>
>weak sister

"Motorola's entire turnaround strategy is based on the Android operating system."

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:45:42 PM by rcjordan » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »

Not sure why I wouldn't like the sentiment, unless you imagine I'm a Google head ROFLMAO 

It was this:

There is an underlying feeling that this opensource stuff is going to end up killing some of their cash cows.  Weak sister competitors will be first to push it because it'll be a last resort, competitively speaking.

bad juju for OS notions...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »

I think they are positioning themselves to be groomed in various ways by those who require functional specificity.  Designed correctly, as it appears is the case with Android, a platform will not be so brittle as to break when differently configured Nerd

Totally. The challenge will be if lots of boneheads with little architectural experience will be able to leverage the platform. One of the best components of the Apple platform is the rather rigidly focused technology - it makes people that want to write (are are solely capable of writing) fart apps can do it. There's an old saying that art is not made by committee - and similarly, focusing developers without the (artificial, perhaps but very necessary) limitations of "Not Available Yet" and "You Can't Do That" is like herding cats. To my way of thinking, and from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense to say, "You can play with THESE TOYS all you want. Nothing else, and there may be more in the future (wink wink) but not right now."

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

It was this:

There is an underlying feeling that this opensource stuff is going to end up killing some of their cash cows.  Weak sister competitors will be first to push it because it'll be a last resort, competitively speaking.

bad juju for OS notions...

rc - can you clarify?  Are you suggesting that open source itself is in the process of killing some of their "own" cash cows??  From a free software perspective this makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Now if you were referring to Google and how open source is threatening to kill off some of Google's cash cows, then I had it right the first time and my comments remain the same as above.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »

>suggesting that open source itself is in the process of killing some of their "own" cash cows

No, my thought is that opensource tends to undermine the walled garden marketing of established companies.  For the telcos, particularly US telcos and their hardware du jour, this is a big deal. In the past, they've elevated captivity into an art form. So much so that we've had to have legislation to ensure portability.  And with now the current regulatory rumble about handset exclusivity deals they must be feeling they are down to their last ploy.  Hell, after that last hardware brick falls (add to that SIM cards), all that'll be left to compete on is *gasp* SERVICE and what sumbitch wants to compete on service?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »

>suggesting that open source itself is in the process of killing some of their "own" cash cows

No, my thought is that opensource tends to undermine the walled garden marketing of established companies.  For the telcos, particularly US telcos and their hardware du jour, this is a big deal. In the past, they've elevated captivity into an art form. So much so that we've had to have legislation to ensure portability.  And with now the current regulatory rumble about handset exclusivity deals they must be feeling they are down to their last ploy.  Hell, after that last hardware brick falls (add to that SIM cards), all that'll be left to compete on is *gasp* SERVICE and what sumbitch wants to compete on service?

Totally agree.  "Tends to undermine" is quite a safe thing to assert.

"Elevated captivity to an art form" Praise  Very well put rc.  That's a one-liner I'll go ahead and "steal" from you ROFLMAO

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »

Guys, Android is not taking over Smiley

If we look at the real numbers, Symbian has taken over long ago. It's funny that nobody ever mentions that Nokia still sells A LOT more phones every day than any other company in the planet. And look how far Symbian has taken the whole smart phone thing.

Now I'm not talking about phones themselves, I'm talking about Android the platform. There's only one way Android is every going to take off as platform and that's a big phone launch that focuses only in Android. That kinda happened when Android came out but nobody else noticed than the nerds. I don't understand why big companies and their marketing teams don't understand how to make great commercials like Apple does. It's so obvious - emphasize the easiness, demo wow stuff and for fuck sake, leave the tech specs home. I lately laughed my ass off to Samsung's ad. Headline said something like this: "OLED display, 3.2 camera and touch screen". Now I'm sure their target market is so thrilled to know that it has OLED, every other phone has camera too and isn't iPhone the best touch screen phone? Complete failure.

If Android doesn't soon get some sort of big international marketing boost with big wow factor, it's going to go straight to the hole where Symbian is already in.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »

I don't even think that a focus on Android will do it... so very much of the iPhone's hipness comes from There's An App For That... so unless they get a pretty big developer base and a whole bunch of cool stuff right quick it will be trouble. And I don't mean a few apps that the iPhone can't do ... I mean a critical mass of games, fart apps and stuff. It's lots of the simple things that make the iPhone seem like it's so far ahead.

And the truth is, it's about 80,000 apps ahead of Android ATM. That's a hard place to start from.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript