The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD's new cheap, 6-core chips  (Read 3625 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/042710-amd-battles-intel-on-price.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-04-27

6-core for $199 at 2.8GHz?  Hmmm.  Looks like a 64-bit Win7 gaming monster is closer than I thought 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »

I wonder how much more memory you'll need because of 64-bit Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »

"Need" or want?  Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

There are actually single-die 12 cores coming out ... AMD just announced a bit ago and Intel is on the way out. They'll be in the mainstream before the end of the year, most likely.

@ Kurdt & memory: Just can't get enough. ITTO is right: it's not need, it's want. Since you're now past the 3.4G barrier, it's all for you baby. I have 12 in my Mac, thinking of going 36. Unrestrained 64b apps are hungry Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »

Unrestrained 64b apps are hungry Wink
Hehe.. I'm just shocked because until last week I had no idea that same thing in 64-bit takes more memory than in 32-bit. Yeah of course benefits are way way awesome for 64-bit when it comes to desktop but when it comes to dealing with some cheap ass VPS server, I think 32-bit still might be my choice.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »

It's true, if 32 works for you, then no need to move. 64 works for me well and there's benefit there.
Soon enough it'll all be there, but no need today if you've no clear business reason.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »

It's true, if 32 works for you, then no need to move. 64 works for me well and there's benefit there.
Yeah, this is mainly an issue when you play with memory databases like memcached or redis.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »

Games bitches.  Cost effective game boxes.  $1000 for the whole burrito ($199+ the rest) is way more tempting than $999 for just the damn CPU.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »

Gaming rigs still need about 4GB RAM tops, and that's not just to run games we're talking multitasking. I only have 4GB in all my gaming machines and I'm always running one game or two, ventrilo, skype, 2+ web browsers, and listening to music. They never stutter.

Only really need anything more if you have a hog of an OS, are working with large spreadsheets, use a lot of VMs, etc.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

The GPU is the main factor for the games I play.  I've never even needed to have more than one per, though SLI with three cards has always seemed tempting, for no really good reason.  But a good beefy game box plus a powerful multitasker is the sweet spot 

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

My newish laptop has a Geforce GTS360m in it with 1GB VRAM. It's more than adequate. Core i7 too.

I think SLI is lazy and more of a marketing ploy than a true performance solution. It just really irks me as a software engineer that the best solution was not to divide and conquer programming tasks, creating another bridge to a peripheral like the physics card, but to simply tack on more of the hardware that was never designed in the beginning to do anything except RENDER GRAPHICS. Not calculate vectors, not shade texels, RENDER GRAPHICS.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

>I think SLI is lazy and more of a marketing ploy than a true performance solution.

If some is good more must be better  Roll Eyes 

Power consumption goes through the roof, heat problems compromise the integrity of the rest of your system unless you liquid cool it requiring even more juice just to power up, and performance doesn't double at all.  Very lazy.  The performance hit with each additional GPU reveals they're inefficiently throwing horsepower at a problem.

But in the spirit of potential on this issue, I'm hoping that eventually AMD/ATI will have a more efficient blend in their processors that leapfrog Intel and Nvidia.  Nvidia acquiring then homogenizing PhysX into GeForce really blows.  Well, I suppose there's a niche for a one-size-fits-all card, like your laptop, but for desktop gaming this was purely a profit play.

Go AMD.  And go OpenCL!  (See perk, I don't always say bad things about Apple  ROFLMAO)

Popcorn

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

I was wondering how you were going to work Apple into that... well played Wink

Did you see the billiards app thread I left you?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »

Did you see the billiards app thread I left you?

Nope.  Searched on billiards and found nothing but this post...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »

http://www.perkiset.org/forum/callback_routines/heres_one_for_itto-t2742.0.html

... are you pressing "Show all unread posts" to see what's new? It should have shown up for you...

and gotcha, no mention of "billiards" in the post...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript