The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon ec2, thoughts?  (Read 2735 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »

So i just played around with EC2 for a few minutes. set up an instance, logged in etc.

not an easy thing, but not too bad for a tickerer like me.

my thoughts are that it could be a great "mothership" for distributed apps, like the evil turds some of us deploy onto the tubes. But I also wondered about starting a hosting company...

since basically it is like having an infinitely big computer, you would never need to deal with upgrading or infrastructure, like you would with a typical dedicated server.

anyone else have thoughts? ideas, etc.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »

ok i actually just played a bit more, and realized something. this is no better as a "mothership" than a ded.

however, for offloading high intensity and power hungry functions, like log analysis or massive scraping this might work.

the thing is, that they are misrepresenting what they are. All the literature makes it sound like you will scale as you need to, but you basically buying an imaginary VPS, but only in 1 hour chunks. good for rapid increase in needs, but not any different really than the standard methodology.

Mosso on the otherhand, is $100 bucks a month, for up to X requests/processes/mem/drive/etc.

What I want is to be charged per single unit of everything. Like charged per seconds of SQL query, and processing cycles used. None of this "install as many instances as you need, as you need them" shit.

so... Nevermind... EC2 is yet another thing that got my hopes up but really is no different from all the other crap out there.

or am i missing the point?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »

I think you pretty well nailed it, NB's.

Furthermore, if what I think happens with alexa data is true, then I want as little to do with Amazon data scraping as I do with the same from Google. 

I wouldn't use G for storing anything that could be connected to me or any of my operations.  Same goes for most all of the bigs.

I haven't logged in to any of my Gmail accounts for over two years now.   Bet they are near the storage limit by now.  ROFLMAO

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript