The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 02:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon cloud computing service unveils eBay auction-style pricing  (Read 1890 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/121409-amazon-cloud-ebay.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-12-14

Granted this would make budgeting up front more complicated.  But I can't help but see this as the cloud pricing model of the future, or at least for Infrastructure as a Service.  For those who believe in a pure market driven economy, not that I'm one of them, this approach should provide the maximum elasticity and most supply/demand based pricing.

Amazon does it again!  Truly a trendsetter from day one, and still doing it.   Applause

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

and still more expensive than google on the storage cloud front.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:10:49 PM »

You are forgetting that with Google you pay also with all the personal data, all the files and everything else to them for analyzing. The price you pay when using Google can't be measured.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

The price you pay when using Google can't be measured.

True.  But I'm curious nb, what is the rough dollar/percentage difference ignoring the anonymity factor?  I thought Amazon was pretty reasonably priced last time I did some comparisons.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

You are forgetting that with Google you pay also with all the personal data, all the files and everything else to them for analyzing. The price you pay when using Google can't be measured.
you can always encrypt or even just encode. They would never waste the resources on it.

@itto
https://www.google.com/accounts/PurchaseStorage
vs
http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html

Yes, you need a freakin calculator to figure out s3 pricing... lol

simple compare though,
20gb on google: $5 per year or 42 cents a month
20gb on amazon: $3.30 a month or $39.6

and that doesnt even start to cover the transfer costs that amazon hits you with. PLUS the request costs.

I tried S3 for my spamnet and that was a HORRIBLE idea. I burned about $200 in 3 days with all my lookups and transferring. Plus I ran out of "buckets" lol.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

And it just get harder to estimate with the forthcoming eBay approach.  However, as tough as this may be it seems to be the way of the future.  Sure paying for data transferred in, data transferred out, etc., is a pain.  But once this pricing model is tuned right I think it will become the only fair way to properly charge for cloud services.

I will say that Google's prices are quite tempting though.  Factor in the hardware depreciation you won't be experiencing - ever again - and the numbers begin to look awfully sweet.  Tax write offs aside Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript