The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 07:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ada Lovelace - the world's first programmer  (Read 1035 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »

I was watching a fantastic special on PBS tonight about women in the digital divide and I learned something really cool.  The first programmer in the world was a woman named Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace (1815–1852).  She was more commonly known as Ada Lovelace and the programming language Ada was named after her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace.

She was programming a machine that had not even been built yet and saw potential stretching beyond mere calculation while others had focused on that potential alone.

She is mainly known for having written a description of Charles Babbage's early mechanical general-purpose computer, the analytical engine. She is today appreciated as the "first programmer" since she was writing programs—that is, encoding an algorithm in a form to be processed by a machine—for a machine that Babbage had not yet built. She also foresaw the capability of computers to go beyond mere calculating or number-crunching while others, including Babbage himself, focused only on these capabilities.[1]

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript