The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:47:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 New Technologies That Will "Change Everything"  (Read 1875 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »

For the moment I'm just excited about USB 3.0.  With performance like it promises, an even greater emphasis will be placed on externals. 

The 3.0 revision of USB, dubbed SuperSpeed by the folks who control testing and licensing at the USB Implementors Forum (USB-IF), is on track to deliver more than 3.2 gigabits per second (gbps) of actual throughput. That transfer rate will make USB 3.0 five to ten times faster than other standard desktop peripheral standards, except some flavors of DisplayPort and the increasingly out-of-favor eSATA.

In addition, USB 3.0 can shoot full-speed data in both directions at the same time, an upgrade from 2.0's "half duplex" (one direction at a time) rates. USB 3.0 jacks will accept 1.0 and 2.0 plug ends for backward compatibility, but 3.0 cables will work only with 3.0 jacks.

and

USB 3.0 is fast enough to allow uncompressed 1080p video (currently our highest-definition video format) at 60 frames per second, says Jeff Ravencraft, president and chair of the USB-IF. That would enable a camcorder to forgo video compression hardware and patent licensing fees for MPEG-4

Time to rethink external drives kurdt Wink

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173778/5_new_technologies_that_will_change_everything.html?tk=nl_wbx_h_topstory

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »

lol wut?

eSATA falling out of favor...except with everyone I know, I guess!

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »

Yeah I wasn't sure where that comment was coming from.  But if the specs of USB 3.0 are correct then it probably will become the dominant transport IMO.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »

Yea i saw that and blinked a couple times. But truth be told, I would not have gone eSata if i had USB3 as an option.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »

Yea i saw that and blinked a couple times. But truth be told, I would not have gone eSata if i had USB3 as an option.

I'm sure most will go with built-in, plug-n-play ease at 3+ mbps.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »

Time to rethink external drives kurdt Wink
Heh yeah well 802.11n was suppose to be 300Mbps but look how well that worked Cheesy I'll believe when I see it Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript