The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 10:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 Mbps down 10mbps up?  (Read 4077 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »

Setting up Comcast here in San Jose, my gf called to get info on fast Internet options.  I was convinced there was a misunderstanding and they must have said "fifteen" but she insisted that they offered "fifty" mbps.  We're going with the 12-15mbps down and 2mbps up for now, since we had 12 down with 512-1mbps up at Time Warner and it rocked. 

Extreme 50

Downloads up to 50Mbps, uploads up to 10Mbps with PowerBoost®.
          o The fastest download speeds around–incredible speeds for households with several computers, hard-core gamers, downloading HD movies and more.
          o Comprehensive security tools.
          o SmartZone® Communications Center.
          o Access to Comcast.net.
          o 7 e-mail accounts, each with 10GB of storage.

This starting price is for customers that currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice service.

Minimum System Requirements

Terms and Conditions

Learn More

$99.95 per month

I'm rethinking the low-end ISP business. Wireless for the masses anyone?  Grin

http://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/productsexisting.cspx?SourcePage=Internet&

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »

It's a mad race towards $0 man. Right on - I'da swung for the 50/10 @ $99 in a heartbeat.
Oh, but wait that's probably the "starting at" rate... what's the vig on a wide open connection?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »

my guess is that although you are going to be provided with a pipe that is capable of that, you will never sustain it, and rarely even see it.

We have 10m, but we pretty much never get more than 2-3m

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »

And I'll betcha that a full T, at only 1.5 BiDi would still beat the crap out of that connection.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »

And I'll betcha that a full T, at only 1.5 BiDi would still beat the crap out of that connection.

Undecided  Don't know about that.  Perhaps in consistency but the bursting and fluctuating bandwidth would probably pull/push more actual data over any 24-hr period.

my guess is that although you are going to be provided with a pipe that is capable of that, you will never sustain it, and rarely even see it.

Always and of course.  But the new 50mbps target should let you get something under it comparable to what you get under 12.

@nuts - bet you a left-hook in November that you're not properly provisioned with your cable company.  Oh yeah, they'll tell you everything is setup correct but run bandwidth tests and demand the 12mbps you're paying for.  At least 3 times I had to force my way through to a tech person who re-provisioned my cable at another location to allow for the 12 I was paying for.

If it's consistently under 3 that's a huge red flag, since 3 is a provisioning point.  If, however, it should be 12 and you're getting 8-10.5 then it's different.  In any case you have the right to get what you're paying for and they'll credit you (or at least they have for me) when you aren't getting what you bought.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

That's good stuff ITTO. Particularly the left-hook reference, for which, since Jag. and Golds. are technically illegal to put on planes (due to their explosive nature) I'll have to provide said liquids. But do we want a room full of BHs seeing vapor trails?

KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »

whoa, i thought ITTO was going to deliver a Rocky Balboa style left hook but perks makes it sound much more fun.  do tell!

im not toing to lie though i was hoping for some ultra-violence (nothing personal nuts)

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:34:28 AM »

whoa, i thought ITTO was going to deliver a Rocky Balboa style left hook but perks makes it sound much more fun.  do tell!
Left Hooks (renamed from the original, which cannot be told over the wire here for any reason AT ALL. However, it may be repeated in person, along with stories that will make you puke with laughter) are the evil 50/50 mixing of frozen Jagermeister and Goldschlager. Done as a shot, they are the social flux of the neoilluminatti. Some have called them, "The Red Pill." Wink

im not toing to lie though i was hoping for some ultra-violence (nothing personal nuts)
Personally I'm more a fan of the old in-out-in-out while enjoying some Ludwig Van. But whatever floats your boat, me drugie.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »

Depending on your toxic tolerance or current level of inebriation, it can feel like self-inflicted ultra-violence Vomit

KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »

sounds awful.  can't wait to hear stories and maybe try one while im there.

Smiley

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »

sounds awful.  can't wait to hear stories and maybe try one while im there.

Pussy. You'll not escape the wrath of the Left Hook.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »

two of the worste liquids ever devised, and you mix them??? That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »

You'll be delightfully surprised. It's kind of like how Nitrogen and Glycerin are, by themselves, not that dangerous. The two manage to cancel out the harshness of each other when on their own to provide a smooth goodness that is both delightful and destructive.

There'll be no driving by ANYONE after a couple of them.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »

two of the worste liquids ever devised, and you mix them??? That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard.

Hence the wager.  Time to man-up nuts  Mobster

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »

Hmm.. I have 110Mbit down and 5Mbit up. It costs about 50 euros per month. And this works great, I get 12 megs per secs always from usenet so I believe ITTO might have found a good working deal over there Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript