The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:51:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 34.5% of China uses IE 6???  (Read 3042 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »

http://ie6countdown.com/

This makes no sense to me.  Vietnam is at 10% and South Africa is at 8.4%, FFS, and the US is at 2.9%.  I'm wondering if perhaps nop or any others have a guess on this one.  All we seem to hear about China is how technologically advanced and productive they are.  Who the hell can be productive using IE6 these days? 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

What's wrong with IE6?

That's what I have installed here. I only use it to double check the pages
that I dev with Firefox.

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

>What's wrong with IE6?

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Conditional comments anyone?

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

All we seem to hear about China is how technologically advanced and productive they are.
Economics.
Americanos can fall into the "techy" trap when they come to asia.
Almost all the construction of highways and roads in the Philippines is done by hand.
So you end up with "weird" paradoxes like this. In the business district in Makati, they need to lay a fiber optic cable.
They have to break the cement, dig a trench, then fill it back up again.
Why makes more sense ? Hire 3 guys with a jack hammer, then 1 backhoe operator and then a cement truck ?

Or get 20 guys with hammers and cold chisels, break the cement by hand. Dig the hole by hand, mix the cement by hand ?
In USA the first option makes sense. Asia second option. Cost per day for workers is $100 per day.
Capital expenditure for hammers, cold chisels and shovels, maybe $200. Plus hammer and cold chisel will never break Smiley
Jack hammer and backhoe might break, cost of repairs relatively expensive. Cost of a backhoe is $30K, jack hammer $10K, you will never get your investment back.

For the same reason you see trucks etc. That look like their are left over from the American and Jap occupation. Even if you have to hire 1 guy who sole purpose in life is to fix that 1 truck. You are better off economically then buying a new truck.

Computers same story. A lot of machines a revery old here. It will not run the lastest windoze. Also most of the software on these machines is pirated.
If the operator takes 4 times as long to do the job, who cares. In a lot of the offices, billing etc is done by hand. (as the younger generation is taking over changing slowly). In some cases the computer is just there for "show". It is operational, but all the paper work is done by hand. Many companies are still run by an some old guy. They are very "traditional" and do not trust new fangled technology.

Again you can end up with paradoxes. A hospital might have the latest MRI machines, etc. Meanwhile it's billing office looks like something that came out of victorian england. "Traditional Offices" keep small armies of "messengers". 1/2 of the time they are literally sitting around doing nothing. I think to some degree it is a "prestige" thing. Most places still have uniforms, and maybe having a ton of messengers makes you look more important.

I digress, but having a lot of people accompanying you, is a sign of importance. So you have a driver to operate vehicle. Then you have a "body guard". If you are like an important politico, you might have another vehicle which is full of support staff. If you are super important, you might have a small convoy. Then when you go to a meeting. These people all go hang out with all the other guy's people and gossip.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »

Way off topic now but ....
In companies, "patronage" is very important.
Most of the grunt work comes from the "provinces". Again a paradox, company where they work might be super modern, province is very backward.
Provinces are very regionalized, and often speak different dialects etc.
Never hire all your grunt work from one region/province.
Usually it works like this. You hire 1 person from a certain region. Then as you need more people, he recomends his cousin etc.
Biggest danger is that since they are related, they may conspire against you.
So solution is divide and conquer.
On the other side of the coin, since the people are all related somehow, there is more of a "team spirit".
So one guy is goofing off. You talk to his oldest relative. The oldest relative then calls back to the province, and tells mommy and daddy their son is goofing off. Mommy and Daddy are now worried that son will not be able to send $$$ back to them. So they then call son and give him a good tongue lashing.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »

>It will not run the lastest windoze.

Perhaps this is why they stick with IE6.  I'm not sure but I think the latest Firefox works just fine in most versions of Windows though.  Unless their PCs are not even in use and just decorations of the office, I'm thinking a tech-savvy individual would at least download the latest, superior and free browser available 

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »

>It will not run the lastest windoze.

Perhaps this is why they stick with IE6.  I'm not sure but I think the latest Firefox works just fine in most versions of Windows though.  Unless their PCs are not even in use and just decorations of the office, I'm thinking a tech-savvy individual would at least download the latest, superior and free browser available 

You are probably right, but, isn't Windows 7 required in order to upgrade from IE6?

Also, in China, one probably needs govt approval to upgrade OS.  LOL Yah never know with them.

Compared to Vietnam and Africa, China probably has more machines running XP.
Vietnam maybe has only 10,000 pcs in the whole country. Maybe 9,000 of those
were recently purchased and are in govt offices.  LOL 

Also, consider a Chinese guy working in a warehouse. He is viewing invoices with
state of the art, Chinese-developed, invoice software and he is very quick at sending
the correct invoice to the correct department for filling orders.

Nothing to do with a browser.

Sitting next to him is a cute Chinese chick printing shipping labels with some super-duper
in house developed shipping-label software with a brand new ultra high speed, turbo-charged,
nuclear-powered, $100,000 printer. Wink

Nothing to do with a browser.

During lunch break, they surf for a few minutes with IE6  Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:53:56 PM by Bompa » Logged

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

I run ie6, ie7 and ie8 on XP Bomps, but I couldn't tell you what all I needed to upgrade to get there.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »

Also, in China, one probably needs govt approval to upgrade OS.  LOL Yah never know with them.
I am sure there are all sorts of rules in China. As usual no one follows them  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
The Philippines has the strictest pollution controls in the world. Every vehicle has to pass a "test".
So all of those jeepney passed the pollution control test.  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
In China the gov't has problems even controlling businesses and collecting proper taxes.
Owners of factories have problems controlling their own factory.
WTF do you think "fashion over runs" come from ? Factory has a contract to make GAP pants. Then workers run a secret shift, and make GAP pants for their own use Smiley

Sitting next to him is a cute Chinese chick printing shipping labels with some super-duper
in house developed shipping-label software with a brand new ultra high speed, turbo-charged,
nuclear-powered, $100,000 printer. Wink
Meanwhile the building this printer is in, was built back in 1893. And the owner has done zero improvements or repairs.
You ask to use the toilet, the owner points you out the back door, and you just piss outside, trying not to step into the other puddles of piss and shit.
Owner wants the outside of the building to look like shit, because then someone might find out his business and tax him.
Also wasting money on things like repairs etc .....

During lunch break, they surf for a few minutes with IE6  Cheesy
Well probably all day long. Owner attempts to lock down puter.
Then moment owner disappears, employees are all goofing around Wink

Labor disputes in Asia are down right insane.
Sacked Indian workers burn factory boss in his car
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/04/sacked-indian-workers-executive-death
Brings a whole new perspective to firing employees.
Boss : your fired !!!!
Workers : wrong boss, your fired  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript