The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 - The year of cloud computing?  (Read 1803 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »

Nice reasoned article about the maturation process of cloud computing: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10422528-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

An article referenced inside has a few Larry Ellison comments on the subject.  Apparently he's as lost as others regarding cloud computing, or perhaps is he banking on its failure??

Speaking at Oracle OpenWorld, Larry Ellison said that the computer industry is more fashion-driven than women's fashion and cloud computing is simply the latest fashion. The Wall Street Journal  quoted the Oracle CEO's remarks:

"The interesting thing about cloud computing is that we've redefined cloud computing to include everything that we already do. I can't think of anything that isn't cloud computing with all of these announcements. The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women's fashion. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have no idea what anyone is talking about. What is it? It's complete gibberish. It's insane. When is this idiocy going to stop?  We'll make cloud computing announcements. I'm not going to fight this thing. But I don't understand what we would do differently in the light of cloud.
"

Nothing Larry.  That's the point.  Maintaining your fortune depends upon mass adoption, retention and maintenance of technologies that are reducing in number and relocating to cloud data centers.  Microsoft isn't even dreaming of being the cloud server software of choice, since up-time, cost and stability far outweigh management simplicity.  That's why they're moving into the clouds.  Cisco?  Totally going cloud, but no worries since we'll all still need connectivity to them.  IBM?  Their entire push is all cloud these days.

I can't wait to see Oracle squeezed down to size by the formerly imprisoned masses who should never have had to become amateur data center experts in the first place 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:32:32 AM »

I can't wait to see Oracle squeezed down to size by the formerly imprisoned masses who should never have had to become amateur data center experts in the first place 

lol.

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:39 AM »

So is cloud computing cool or not? Cheesy

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »

When the cloud gains the ability to be our transparent, omnipresent sync mechanism (and starts to supplant the desktop environment) it'll become a disruptive technology in its own right.

This article is worth a read but it focuses on mobile. I think that's too narrow a perspective.

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/If-mobiletocloud-sync-is-big-in-2010-its-game-over-for-Microsoft/1262053023
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

I've moved about 30% of my data into the cloud (rookie mode, me.com, but it works really nicely for keeping my sync'd up everywhere) - and almost everywhere I work I have access to it (Conveniently, MobileMe keeps my files sync'd up so that if I'm offline I still have access as well).

The cloud notion will both empower a new way of working and replace a great deal of current technology. It will not replace everything, but it will change the current tech world. Although Larry has a really big boat and a lot of people working for him, in this case he's simply stupid. To equate that cloud with SOA or EDI is equivalent to Billy saying that the internet will never take off, or Ballmer that the iPhone will never gain any real traction.

Breathtakingly short sighted, really.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript