The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:51:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10GBase-T vs. PCIe Switch  (Read 1783 times)
afar729
n00b

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »

I'm trying to wrap my head around whether and when 10GBase-T Ethernet and PCIe switches are substitutes or complements to one another. Ethernet and PCIe are both interconnects that can serve the same purpose for certain functions, correct? They can also go hand in hand for other functions. Please let me know if I'm on the right track here and please elaborate on what these products can do, where they compete, and where they are complementary.

Thanks!
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »

PCIe switching is ultimately faster than 10G, but more limited in scope and capability. Our Brocade fabric will integrate with PCIe switches and cards, but we've not chosen to go that way. It's (IMO) more proprietary and since we have to talk to devices that we can't put into a PCIe fabric, 10G with LAGs and multipathing are a better solution.

To me, PCIe is more in competition with InfiniBand. PCIe switching would be great for creating a computing cluster - a distributed super computer, rather than just traditional switching.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
afar729
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:58 AM »

Thanks, man.

Could you explain what functions PCIe and 10GE are performing in the diagram on page 27 in this PDF?

http://www.plxtech.com/files/pdf/PLX_Corporate_Overview_July2012.pdf

I'm a rookie so feel free to explain what may otherwise appear obvious.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript