The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: yep its faster... LOL  (Read 6477 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »

The keyboard can keep up with me...
FINALLY.

I also forgot that the new phones dont come with docking cradle. dammit. now I gotta go back at some point. pfft.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »

you're writting from a phone ?  Huh?

what's up?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »

no not here, though I could.

but frankly the new version of this phone spanks the ever loving shit out of my old one (v1) speed wise.

An app that took about 1 minute to load on the old phone, now takes about 10 seconds.
a few are almost instant now.

aside from all the gimmicky shit though, COPY PASTE... THANK GOD... entering WEP keys for WIFI connections is now a copy-paste instead of typing in 32 characters.

I miss the metal already though...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »

bah i just tried. Perks special iPhone skin is not letting me post.

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

i hate iphones ... they're so sensitive  Shocked

what's up?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »

You think iPhones are sensitive, you should tell Perks that you hate them.

ROFLMAO

hai
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »

ROFLMAO

what's up?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »

lol

Its funny. the iPhone has such an image as a toy that people find it hard to believe its business capable, and even excels at it.

I was standing in line at the ATT store (shorter line), and got talking to the people in front.
out of the 20 or so people in my local packet of people, 18 currently used the iPhone for businesses they own. (i live in a town where the probability is very high that you own a business if you live here)
1 guy used it for biz, but was an employee.
1 guy was trying to decide to drop his crackberry. (we all converted him with a show and tell).

1 chick (way smokin hot. I had to do everything in my power to not look at her boobs. Why do you wear shirts like that, when I know you punch me for looking???), owned a company that does large machine installations, like printing presses and CNC machines, etc (actually had heard of them because of work I used to do for a printshop). They had 40 lines, all iPhones, running a custom app that they use for status updates, routing, scheduling, communications, etc. She showed it, very cool.

At this point, anyone who says the crackberry is required, is an idiot (except if they REALLY need the hard keyboard)

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

nutballs - you're people are very smart regarding mine

from 100 persons which have iPhone, 99 purchased it because it's a gadget and has funny and cool applications !

Even if they have $0.02 credit on their card they still have an iphone .... because .... hey it's the new trend

what's up?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

i agree completely.

and thats why i was surprised with the line of people.
Its probably the nature of my area more than anything.

All my friends have iPhones, and have no business reason, which is the norm.
and yes they are all broke... lol

I just meant that people "assume" its a toy, only. not capable of biz. but obviously not true, since after all, the military now uses it...

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »

since after all, the military now uses it...

really ? i didn't know !  Sarcasm

what's up?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

Hey all, sorry for being late to the party. Got mine at 0700 this morning (on the list, walked right by the line, in and out in 10 minutes).

Quick review:
NBs is 100% correct: this phone just makes my original iPhone cry like a little girl. And since I'm new to 3G I was unprepared for the vast difference in network speed. I was able to stream high-end FM in stereo brilliantly today, with almost 0 dropouts. KROQ and KLOS from LA, NPR from DC, AM1090 from Seattle, BBC1 and several other BBC FM stations (even world!)  I had myself a blast today.

The radio app "let go" and I was able to receive calls while streaming. Nice touch: after the call, the phone went back to radio as it should, rather than back to home where it used to. Nice combo here of radio app update, faster hardware and 3.0 software.

I find that it is a little "stickier" on networks: it doesn't want to let go my WiFi when I'm pulling out of the garage as quickly - if you change from Edge to 3G manually it takes a little bit for it to let go of one and be happy with the other. No problems here, just observations.

Voice control worked well. I was surprised at the negative reviews, I liked it.

The GPS flowing over Google Maps was superb and spot on. Drove all over today and watched - it was right with me. The compass is a nifty trick. Nice to toggle between g-maps and the compass. I am really looking forward, however, to the turn-by-turn GPS programs set to come out in the next couple months. That'll tell the tale.

Video camera is excellent for what it is. Kind of like PinkHat's Flip, but less storage. Not that you're going to cut a movie on it, but hey - it's video. Camera is clearly better than my old phone.

The olephobic coating IS THE BOMB. I tried really hard to grease the phone up today. It didn't get many finger prints at all, but when I did manage to get some to stick, a single wipe on the pant leg and it was PRISTINE. I mean it, this feature even impressed PinkHat which is WICKED hard to do. She detests the fingerprints and facegrease that smudge up the iPhone - she was not going to upgrade, but upon showing her mine we are setting her up immediately. Now the big test: how long with the ungrease last? Is it something that will wear down? Man I hope not, because it was almost a game changer. Side note: with the coating, the screen feels just slightly slipperier. I like it.

Load time is fantastic, as is snappiness during typing and between apps. Switching between apps feels more like that, and less like starting and stopping apps.

Find My iPhone with mobile me is really cool. Being able to tell your phone to play a sound for 2 minutes is really cool.

All in all a very solid upgrade. I am going to back up where I'm at and try the tethering hack here later tonight.

ROFLMAO
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO How well you know me, old friend. But interestingly, I don't have any problems with people hating them. Much like you, if you have valid reasons for hating them, then cool. I really don't like folks that hate it simply because it's Apple. That kind of bigotry is just stupid and stuck, IMO. Hate it for solid reasons, right on. Hate it as sour grapes - like the folks that said Farrah Fawcet was a dog when she first came out on Charlies Angels - and you're just silly.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:05:10 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »

video camera. who cares about storage. Shoot video, upload to flickr, delete video, all over 3g.

camera in general. waaaaay better. now I can shoot snapshots with my phone. Not just crapshots like the v1.

coating. my finger grease must be extra special, cause I have to rub pretty hard to get it off.

mobile me. they need to do a "lite" version for just the phone location and security features. I have ZERO need for the rest of that crap, nor do most biz users i think.

battery. um wtf? did i get a bad phone? we shall see tomorrow on a full night of charge...

voice dialing. i called about 5 people, all got it first shot, even wierd names. voice playing, not so much. couldnt start my audiobook.
Did not do well in the miata at 70mph with the top down though, which is when I would need it most... LOL

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »

I upgraded from my original 2G iPhone and am equally enthused about the 3Gs.  Though I love all the whiz-bang new features of the 3.0 OS, and the 3G network speed, compass, better camera, cut/copy/paste, etc., the thing that I actually like the best (and I'm not the first to mention it here) is that the keyboard now keeps up with me.  As a result, my on-screen typing is MUCH more accurate... I realize now that the typing lag was actually responsible for many of the typos I used to experience with the old iPhone.  I always blamed the touch screen; turns out it was the slow CPU.

I bought the Moshi case (http://www.amazon.com/moshi-99MO019001-iGlaze-iPhone-Graphite/dp/B001QKC2CW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1245474909&sr=8-3) which adds some minimal drop/scratch protection while remaining unobtrusive and still allowing the phone to be easily carried in a pocket.  It came with a film screen protector.

I used a similar screen protector with my original iPhone, and it did its job and protected the screen.  But it's so hard to get those things on without a speck of dust or an air bubble ruining the whole thing.  I'm wondering if the screen protection is really necessary?  Am I likely to scratch the screen carrying the phone in my pocket if I don't protect it?

The irony is that with the screen protector, I lose the advantage of the oleophobic coating.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »

Goddamn! I just convinced myself to wait longer to see if those 3GS unlock things really work but now.. you people stop talking how great it's compared to 2G Sad

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript