The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Woz comments on Apple's secrets and leaks  (Read 5102 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194973/wozniak_on_apple_secrets_and_leaks.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

Gizmodo's John Herman has an interesting interpretation of Wozniak's story, arguing that, in Apple's view, there was a significant difference between showing the iPad to Wozniak and losing an iPhone in a bar. A.J., Herman contends, was fired because he deliberately showed the device to someone who was not authorized to see it. Powell, on the other hand, made an honest mistake when he lost his iPhone prototype, so he was allowed to keep his job. Herman ends his analysis by comparing Apple's closed and secretive society to the Corleone family in The Godfather, and accuses Apple of not having a culture of innovation, but one of fear.

Original article: http://gizmodo.com/5523673/steve-wozniak-on-apple-security-employee-termination-and-gray-powell

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:16:08 PM »

innovation = collaboration = openness

pretty much the antithesis of the company in question...

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »

ROFLMAO

That touches on the essence of a deeply rooted fallacy: by locking things down, innovators will feel safe to innovate and people will collaborate in the most beneficial ways for humanity.  But Science knows better.  Eventually this deranged period of idea-fascism will be revealed for what it truly is and the fear-selfish-power motivators driving it will be about as acceptable to embrace as discrimination in the workplace 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »

Eventually this deranged period of idea-fascism will be revealed for what it truly is and the fear-selfish-power motivators driving it will be about as acceptable to embrace as discrimination in the workplace 
Right after they finish warp drive and the Holodeck.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »

Right after they finish warp drive and the Holodeck.

Awesome  Sad 

So we will probably master intergalactic space travel before innovating becomes primarily an open, cooperative process.  I think I incarnated in the wrong galaxy  Need Help

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

I think I incarnated in the wrong galaxy  Need Help
There's an app for that. Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »

iPhoneHome  ROFLMAO  Terrible ITTO... just terrible Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »

innovation = collaboration = openness
You have to view Apple as artist who stays in his room and violently defends his work until he is ready to show it to the world. It's just that this artist has many arms and legs to do the work but it's still one artist who doesn't want to show their work.

There's no one way set in stone how you must do your creative process or business. If Apple wanted to collaborate, they would. If they wanted to be open, they would.

One smart fellow once said: Distrust all claims for "one true way".

If you think you could achieve better results with different way, do it instead of of try to get other people to change their ways. I think Apple wouldn't produce products they do today if they tried to force the change.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »

One smart fellow once said: Distrust all claims for "one true way".
Follow those that search for truth.

Distrust those that claim they've found it.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »

And if you fail at your search, fail noisily and as soon as possible Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »

Distrust those that claim they've found it.

ROFLMAO  My mom sent me that quote the other day.  Reminds me of the 1976 book: "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!"  I think you should follow no one, period.  I also don't distrust anyone offhand if they claim knowledge of something but demand evidence for all claims.  Truth for me is an eternally evolving, yet eternally subjective perspective - the quest for which I have profoundly deep respect for.

>You have to view Apple as artist who stays in his room and violently defends his work until he is ready to show it to the world

I just can't do that kurdt.  Apple is a company, not a human being.  I have far greater respect for human life than a publicly traded money mission.  I'd defend an artist's right to stay in the closet for as long as they wanted before revealing their creations.  I'd even guard the door for them.  But Apple is no artist.  Apple consumes artists.

If you think you could achieve better results with different way, do it instead of of try to get other people to change their ways.

If the end justified the means I'm sure we could squeeze out all kinds of odd explosions of human creativity.  Shit just look at the pyramids.

If Apple wanted to collaborate, they would. If they wanted to be open, they would.

They want nothing but money and power, as I'm hoping you already realize  Undecided

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »

I just can't do that kurdt.  Apple is a company, not a human being.  I have far greater respect for human life than a publicly traded money mission.  I'd defend an artist's right to stay in the closet for as long as they wanted before revealing their creations.  I'd even guard the door for them.  But Apple is no artist.  Apple consumes artists.

They want nothing but money and power, as I'm hoping you already realize  Undecided

You/we are actually talking about two different things here. I'm talking about products and their right to choose how they create their products and you are mixing in the fact that their decisions are also guided by money. I'm actually not arguing with you a bit. How my project deals with this issue is probably even more extreme than you can even hope right now but I'm still not saying that my way is the absolute truth even if I act by it.

It's just that when you deny Apple's way of doing things, you basically deny individual freedom. People choose to work in Apple even after they have seen what it can be like. They are not forced to work there. They agree to the rules of Apple with free will. Nobody is forcing them into something. This is something I don't understand in our current culture. Why is everybody blaming corporations of exploiting workers when workers have free will to leave anytime they want? I just don't understand how it's fair to expect corporations to act as charity if they don't want to.

It's a bit hard to explain what I think without telling you what's possible. If you want, I can tell you (in private of course) how my company around this big mystery project is going to work. I firmly believe that it's going to change the way many people see the future of work.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »

Few corporations want anything else. That's why they exist. But you miss a very important point.

It's possible to be in business to make money, to offer services that are truly a benefit to the niche they exist within, and even produce what would be considered "art" in the business world. Apple does all 3. Apple, lead by Jobs and Woz for a while, created the first really personal computer. Brought us the GUI that almost everything is a derivative of today. Pretty much formulated and pushed the notion of desktop publishing. Redefined the way we consume music with the iPod, set the bar for smart phones with the iPhone and is now, yet again, changing how we'll interact with our machines by essentially bringing us usable touch interfaces and hand helds.

Regardless of your bias, these facts are rather uncontrovertible. You'll try, I am sure. But the point is that they've endeavored to make money by making good things, making a difference. I can get behind that. Honestly, that's exactly what i like to do. If i can make money while providing a real service and real benefit, i sleep well at night. I doubt it's any different for you at all.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »

Sure kurdt - send a pm.  I'd love to hear about it.

>Why is everybody blaming corporations of exploiting workers when workers have free will to leave anytime they want?

I think part of the disconnect is the country you live in.  I can feel the same way listening to unmotivated, lazy, entitlement mongers who feel the world owes them a free handout.  Then you have the painfully too common situation where a town in America had generations of people living in relative harmony running their small stores for a living and employing others in the town.  Wallmart moves in and forget about Firefox in the rack next door: there really goes the neighborhood.

The intricacies of the macro/micro economics that effect the world are stunningly complex and beyond argument since as you've pointed out before, in America money is the politics.

@perk's point

Well put.  The greatest good of business, imo, was nicely stated in your last post.

Here's something to consider that has nothing to do with Apple but everything to do with our inability to distinguish between one and many.  The rights of the individual trump the will of the masses.  Gameplan: convergence.  We just need to tie up a few loose ends and a corporation actually will be a human, at least in terms of personal rights and freedoms.  Already we see bright and thoughtful intellectuals blurring the lines between corporate entities and people, with good intentions.  Though I hate this metaphor it's perfect for this picture: it's a slippery slope 

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

It's really our corrupt and antiquated understanding of "intellectual property" that is the problem. Certain laws are only slightly bad, like Copyright Law as it stands. But then there are REALLY borked areas of law that stifle innovation. I'm talking about our patent system. Our patent system has devolved into something wielded like a cudgel by those with the means to do so against those without said means. Nothing more. It doesn't protect anyone who actually needs the protection, and when you can patent something as absurdly "DUH" as "the ability to touch a screen in more than one place!" or "columnar layout in spreadsheets", you know something is horribly broken.

hai
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript