The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Woot my iphone should be arriving next week  (Read 4619 times)
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:25 PM »

Have done the deed and decided to do myself a mischief by getting an iphone.

Any cool stuff you guys can suggest to try and break it in the first week that I have it?

After the initial whack of "ooh how cool is this interface", being the scatterbrained idiot
that I am, I know Ill probably get bored with it after a day or so.

What kind of cool shit can I expect from this to keep me occupied?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »

pfft. iPhone is so last year.

actually, you nailed it. you will get over the interface. But if you are anything like perk and me, you will use it for everything. I read my RSS on the shitter, email in front of the tube, listen to pandora while working out, oh yea and I make a call or two.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:13:30 AM »

Thats pretty much why I decided to get it.
I can see myself using it quite a bit, Id love to be able to ssh into my server from it.

Is there an app that does that yet?

Deploying a boatload of sites from my box while Im at the pub sounds just lovely.

Also just curious. Is it possible to when at home switch how the iphone uses its
gprs or wap, to use my home wifi instead?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »

only manually able to switch. and since you cant run background apps, that pretty much kills it ever happening.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »

NBs is absolutely correct about the interface... you'll get over the novelty of it, but it will also become quite a part of you. I find myself trying to "swipe" the nav system in the car, for example  D'oh! it has also replaced my alarm clock, and a variety of other things, since it's with me all the time and just quite brilliant. PinkHat is known to prefer Solitaire or Scrabble even over John Stewart before bed  Shocked And personally, I'm more likely to play Labyrinth while on the can than do email ... helps me maintain focus  ROFLMAO

I don't understand your question about WAP vs your home wifi... are you asking if while you're out you'll use 2/3G and then at home use WIFI? Of course... this is automatic. As soon as it "knows" about your networks, it will remember them and log on automatically all the time.

@ SSH - finally read what's up with that yesterday. Mocha (the company that did the VNC client first) has one all ready to go, but there is an exportation of encryption legality issue that has surfaced and is holding up release. I have no idea how/when that will get sorted, but I am really looking forward to that as well. I am hoping, that with the new things they are producing in the API (the "cooperative funneled notifications") you will be able to keep a connection alive via SSH, even if you are on the phone. There's hope in that direction, although nothing firm yet. But there is enough outcry from the developer community to make it happen I think.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »

they do have a telnet release out, so at least there is that.
im sure the SSH will get sorted out as well.

i must have misunderstood the wifi question. so yea, what perk said.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »

Several telnets now in fact... it's funny to me how many comments people put out there about telnet being stupid and they just want an SSH ... I understand needing ssh as I do as well, but that so clearly puts them outside of oldschool thinking, because a telnet application is still a must have in the tool box, whether your access points are running telnetd or not. Since imap, pop, smtp, http etc all are textual interfaces, you can do all kinds of ... erm ... testing and quality assurance things with a telnet connection Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »

I don't understand your question about WAP vs your home wifi... are you asking if while you're out you'll use 2/3G and then at home use WIFI? Of course... this is automatic. As soon as it "knows" about your networks, it will remember them and log on automatically all the time.
Yup, exactly what I meant.
While at home at least that would save on me going over my data usage with the plan that I will be on.

cheers for the comments guys exactly the type of feedback I was after.

Geez the next few days are going to go by slowly waiting for it to arrive. LOL
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

I have not only SSH, but a fully functional BASH shell, complete with highlighting for VIM, LS, etc.

You need to jailbreak it. The apps store is still piss poor. I actually switched mine from the BSD subsystem to Debian so I could make use of apt-get. There are some nice apps out there.

Then again, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what a FOSS Nazi I am Smiley

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

VS is your phone on the 2.1 firmware and broken? And can you do both ie., can you upload unauth apps as well as jailbroken ones? And did your jailbreaking mess with visual voice mail and the other AT&T specific features?

vader222
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »

Then again, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what a FOSS Nazi I am Smiley

will you not be chargin and will you be releasing the source for your immortal promoter then?

No links in signatures please
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »

hahahahahaha

VADER FTW

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

Ditto No lie, pretty damn funny Vader.

"Snap!"

ROFLMAO

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »

Oh, it's already been released. Some assembly is required, but that's what you pay me for, no?  Angel

Perks: I'm still on 1.15, jailbroken, and no to any and all questions re: losing functionality. Works like it did out of the box, except I can hit a keystroke (have all my server logins aliased in .bashrc and have my SSH keys generated and uploaded for auto-auth) and be SSHed into any of my servers, do some quick editing of code in a pinch, whatever.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript