The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Apple Close the e-Book on Kindle?  (Read 3169 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218853/will_apple_close_the_ebook_on_kindle.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

Analysis: Apple is modifying its licensing policy, raising doubts that e-books bought elsewhere will be readable on Apple devices. 

(Apple says that as long as e-readers support in-app purchases, they'll be able to retain access to digital books bought elsewhere -- even though this violates the App Store approval guidelines.)

Best case scenario, this all works out in a way that Apple, Amazon, and consumers can live with. Worst case scenario, Kindle e-books become the equivalent of music locked up with Microsoft's ill-fated PlaysForSure technology: They'll work on just about every gizmo out there . . . except the Apple devices that dominate the market.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »

Dude ... a hole 'nother thread for the same?  ROFLMAO

Note that his article is *completely* subjective opinion. I think it is ALWAYS viable to ask if companies are going to use their power to deny others to play. But I cannot imagine the uproar and dead-sparrow like sales curve if they were to start punishing other houses like that. I mean, even if they wanted to (which, arguably, they would - it'd make good financial sense) - the outcry would be even too loud for Steve's personal reality distortion field.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »

Dude ... a hole 'nother thread for the same?  ROFLMAO

I figured since daviator hasn't replied to any of the flame war that I'd secure a new safe place for any further reality wrestling  Grin

Since I foolishly believe that PC World is arguably at least as credible as the Cult-Of-Mac or the Apple Insider (Shocked), I'd forward along a current article discussing the same. 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »

Google,Amazon,M$ and their gang need better cult leaders spokes persons.
Amazon is always the quiet sneaky type. Making their cloud, doing all sorts of nasty, but meanwhile staying in the corner keeping quiet.
Kinda like that kid who would make the really stinky farts in school, but the other kid would get blamed.

M$ tried to copy Apple by getting Balmer. But massive amounts of cocaine or amphetamine, can not create the energy that a cult leader has.
Compare images Steve Jobs to Sarah Palin. Notice the glint of insanity that the cult leader has.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

I dunno. The black turtleneck is arguably hot, but Steveo just doesn't have the curb appeal that Sarah does.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »

Idea...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »

Eeek. ok so maybe he is hotter than her.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:05:40 PM by perkiset » Logged

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »

Isn't it the height of... something... to wear a button promoting yourself?  Really, that's just tacky.

I can't wait for her 15 minutes to be up.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

I don't think she can tell time. We may have to deal with her for a while yet.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »

I'm in favor of those proposed Palin blackout periods where NPR refuses to mention anything about her for set period of time, kind of like Spare the Air.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:00:37 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »

Ah, rolling blackouts. I like it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript