The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 07:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does Apple seem content during this season of new 'droid phones?  (Read 1850 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

ITTO just posted about a new Droid phone in another thread, got me thinking. Apple is not pushing back hard, nor getting ready with new things about its phone at all. There are no threads or rumors or even discussions about the phone ... its like it's all done. Much like the iPod was, just before the iPhone was released.

You know what it's starting to look like ... lots and lots of phones with similar features to the iPhone, trying to dilute it's uniqueness. The hardest part there will be the breadth of the app store, but that's not my point: I wonder if Apple is totally happy with this since they've already established a pretty damn solid position in the iPhone market - make all other vendors focus over THERE while they get ready with the tablet. "Be where they ain't" and all. It's similar to how they released the iPhone right as others (like the Zune) were just really starting to blossom. Here are some of the most interesting points from various threads I've been reading:
  • Apple's intends to spend over 1.9BB in capital next year (unannounced targets) according to their discussions with federal regulators and their public filings
  • In December, they have a lot of trips scheduled for the high end teams through China with unannounced purpose
  • Leaked reports of Apple purchasing huge amounts of 10" touch screens
  • Leaked discussions with several of the big media houses and powerhouses about digitalizing their format, from Wall street all the way down to Australia
  • The literally-before-our-eyes crumbling of the print market
  • Recent push for digital book readers and publishing
  • Amazon has really stepped up acquisition of publishing houses
  • Apple's board said they don't find the publishing market "attractive" because of licensing issues. This is almost a mirror of their pre-iPod discussions and pre-iPhone announcements. Perhaps their sleight of hand is not so faint anymore...

... everyone is looking the other way. Even discussion of netbooks seems to have died. Shiller said that there'll be no new product from Apple through the end of the year. It almost feels to me like the calm before the storm. The perceptible draw-back of the ocean before the tsunami.

I dunno, maybe I'm way off base. But it feels awfully similar to me.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:27 AM »

Steve Jobs saved a sinking ship in the late 90s by rearranging the deck chairs. We'll see if his strategy continues to work.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »

"Rearranging deck chairs."

Starting with something as simple as throwing their processors and operating system out the window, focusing on a business niche that they knew nothing about at the time and constructing new (both for them and the world) hardware are some pretty big chairs meng.

Regardless of your feelings towards Apple, it would be difficult for anyone to categorize their efforts and reinvention as moved deck chairs.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »

I'm not talking about the stuff that it took them 5 years to do after they were dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, I mean the stuff Stevey did in the late 90s to save the company. All that fluff has come since. When Jobs took over, Apple was still on OS 7. He ended that right quick, because OS 7 was licensed to run on anyone's hardware.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »

Your facts and timing are incorrect, and between deck chairs and fluff it's kind of obvious where you stand.

But it really doesn't matter. Have a great day VS. Smiley

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

Well I haven't checked my facts, that's just VS's recollection of what happened from living through that period of time.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript