The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the iPhone 4 jailbreak?  (Read 4739 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »

WAITing... jeepers is this one that much more difficult?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:11 AM »

As I recall, it was at least a couple of months after iPhone OS 3 came out before a JB was available, and even then it was a drawn out, difficult process.  Spirit and its one-click JB didn't arrive until many months later.  I'm sure that Apple did their best to make it impossible to JB iOS 4, and while I'm sure they won't succeed in preventing it, I imagine it will take some time for the hackers to find a way in.

I'm not likely to JB again, the process of getting everything restored and working again under iOS 4 was too painful and took an enormous amount of time.  And I didn't find that MiWi (or whatever, maybe I'm getting the name wrong) worked reliably enough to warrant it.  I tried to use it several times while traveling and only succeeded once.

But I know you had luck with it, and I can definitely appreciate the value it provides. 
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »

Sounds like it's imminent, they're waiting for the next iOS update:  http://www.cultofmac.com/breaking-iphone-4-unlocked/50708

This article mostly talks about unlocking, but it sounds like Spirit JBing is on its way too.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »

EFF Wins New Legal Protections for Video Artists, Cell Phone Jailbreakers, and Unlockers
Rulemaking Fixes Critical DMCA Wrongs

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2010/07/26

So, if it's legal to jailbreak an iphone now, will Apple resort to full-scale bricking as a defense of its walled garden?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »

nope. It would not be in apples interest to brick. They already have stuff in the agreement that means your voiding your warranty. So big deal. They can refuse giving you service or help if you broke it.

easy way around that. iphone insurance. Smiley

the ruling also does not mean they can't fight it or put protections in place, however, i think I remember there being precedent that they cannot willfully disable your equipment, if you are a paying customer or purchased the device outright. They can only take away the "extras" you have added.

This all starts to get really sticky once your out of contract also, which is probably the next fight to be had.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »

I'm thinking that the iphone is going to enter the 'uncorked' phase.  Something along the lines of the Cult of Mac post: "Now that jailbreaking is explicitly legal ó at least for individual consumers ó itís not unreasonable to think the jailbreaking scene may become a little less underground. It may even prompt a cottage industry of unofficial App Stores... ...legitimate software companies will publish jailbreaking software... ...a healthy market for unofficial and banned apps

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-official-response-to-dmca-jailbreak-exemption-it-voids-your-warranty/52463

Maybe I'm more cavalier about warranties than most iphone owners, but that threat wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »

nor will it stop most. It actually could work out better for apple. No more overhead of having to support the phones. lol

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »

and now that its "legal"

http://jailbreakme.com/

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

It's all over the blogs, but would love to hear from anyone that has the balls to be first  Praise  Applause

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »

I have read that the new jailbreak "breaks" MMS and FaceTime.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

They patched it last night.

I bit the bullet and am in the middle of it. The jailbreak was painless, but the servers for MyWi and My3G are painfully underwater, so it might be a while before I can get those apps running.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »

Mmm. Can't even load all of Cydia or download Rock ATM - they must be really slammed (the blogs concur)

More updates as I know them.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »

The jailbreak is an indicator of some nasty vulnerabilities. The way in is a bug in the way PDF files are parsed ... so if the iPhone Dev Team can do it that easily then you KNOW there are badder guys out there trying to do the same.

Watch yourselves maties...

http://9to5mac.com/node/20643

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »

OK it rocks.

The jailbreak was end to end as painless as they say.

Installing Cydia was a pain yesterday because the Cydia servers were just completely overworked. And the MyWi people couldn't even see straight.

Went straight at installing both MyWi and My3G today, came down quickly and cleanly. Both run fantastically well on my '4, and the presentation of WiFi out to my 'pad from the phone is much better and faster. Interesting new option, "transmission strength" is defaulted to 80% - obviously I could bump that up or down as I needed. This might assist with battery drain, if I use my 'pad within a couple feet of the phone all the time (MyWi is just a battery destroyer).

The only bummer is that the version of MyWi I had purchased at Rock is no longer available, so I'll need to purchase a new license without any upgrade - meaning that it's now $20 rather even than $10! These guys are getting pretty greedy. Other than that though, all looks great.

Have not tried to FaceTime or send a picture MMS today, will do later and make sure I'm all sorted out.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »

what? i gotta buy another "version" of mywi? fuck them. They got my $10, and its not like the new version does anything at all different, its just a fucking bridge. Time to go hunting in pirate land. I hate the black market.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript