The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlocking the Old iPhone  (Read 2011 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »

So, now that the phone is over 2 years old,
AND, my contract is up,
AND, i am upgrading...

Shouldn't I be able to call ATT and have them unlock the old phone so I can either ebay it or hand it down to parents?
I am finding no info about it.
legal, endorsed unlocking. Not hacking.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »

AT&T will not help you.

Consider: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=638525

It can be done, and it's not bad at all. Apps can do you in the pooter - we have a friend that jailbroke, then downloaded some apps probably written by friends of JasonD and his phone was unusable until I used up a favor at the Apple store to have them take care of it. So long as you behave with an iRubber I think you'd be fine.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

thats completely fucking retarded.

I now OWN this phone. I have fulfilled my contract, and I want to use it to talk to aliens.

oh wait... I know...

My mom can get it unlocked probably. She can claim that she is going to europe for a few months. They have done it with her previous phones, and I assume iPhone is no different?

I think there is going to be a flood of complaints in a few days as people try to hand down their old iPhone to friends and family on other nets. It would be in apples interest to allow it, since those people could still buy apps. Maybe Im too simple to understand it...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:31 AM »

Don't need it unlocked to travel internationally.

There is no legal way to do it, read Apple/ATT's contract.

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:16 AM »

Apps can do you in the pooter - we have a friend that jailbroke, then downloaded some apps probably written by friends of JasonD and his phone was unusable until I used up a favor at the Apple store to have them take care of it. So long as you behave with an iRubber I think you'd be fine.

That's very strange. Not going to call BS, but you have a button combo that physically takes your phone back to square 1. If you hold in both buttons forever, it will take your phone into UDMA mode and you can then format it on your computer and the minimum wage dweebs at the "Genius Bar" (can you tell I've had to deal with them too many times?) won't give you any crap about doing "illegal" things with your phone.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »

Yes, I know this. He gave us the phone to try and work it before I asked Apple for help. Tried the UDMA/format route and nothing worked. At all. This is actually one of PinkHat's friends that had given up and asked her to ask me to give it a try.

When the phone came on, almost instantaneously a cartoonish Russian beard wearing Steve Jobs image was on the front laughing (static image). I tried every known key combo to pull it out / start it clean, nothing worked. I popped the SIM and replaced it with an old one of mine. It was very confused, but then I hooked it up to my box and did a factory reload on it. Replaced the SIM. That all went well, but it was then not connected to AT&T and there were other troubles (he had jailbroken it, as I had described). He took it from there and somehow got it back to TMobile.

I've not seen anything like it before or since. My Apple rep has not either. I don't know where he was playing around or what he was doing, but it was the best lockup I've seen.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript