The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 10:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding why Apple is so very appealing... to some.  (Read 3856 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

I love industrial design, love the art of the Mac. This is a cool snippet showing Jonathon Ive geeking out on ID and the making of the MBPs.

http://www.cultofmac.com/video-watch-apples-jonny-ive-geek-out-over-reductive-design/19953

6 minutes, a great watch for those so inclined.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »

Yeah, that guy is pretty much next to God in my mind when it comes to designing commercial products. I don't know if he does any architectural stuff but that would be interesting too.

He explained my idea/feeling about the indicator LED we fought over like a month ago. "When it should indicate something, it should be there. When it shouldn't indicate anything, it shouldn't be there."
With normal Windows PC/laptop they want to indicate everything all the time even you don't benefit anything from that information except lose small fraction of your attention. I have always admired iPhone's silent switch. It's so obvious solution to so common problem. Now I don't even have to take the phone out of my pocket if I want to switch it to silent.

And I believe that many companies are really struggling when it comes to competing with simplicity. Technology companies are usually formed & led by some sort of engineer or technological person. It seems if you look at the product field in the laptops and mobile phones that they don't understand simplicity and why it works. They agree that iPhone looks and feels awesome but they can't transform that feeling into their own products. I believe that's fundamental issue that can't be solved in any other way than bringing fresh talent to the house.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »

IMO, he said it best when he mentioned that the best designs just feel "inevitable" like, of course it should be that way.

I work *really* hard in my software development to have the same and there is a downside - people then assume, because it looks simple, that it is. They never get a feel for how much effort went into "easy."

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
herbacious
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »

the ungrateful bar stewards
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

That was awesome - thx perk.  Love watching masters geek out on things. 

He explained my idea/feeling about the indicator LED we fought over like a month ago. "When it should indicate something, it should be there. When it shouldn't indicate anything, it shouldn't be there."

Having indicators "disappear" is totally hot and not exactly an easy thing to accomplish when building your own stuff.  But when we discussed this a while ago I thought you were suggesting that having no indicators at all was the best thing.  If you were really trying to explain the benefits of having optionally apparent indicators when they become relevant then I missed your point back then.

I'm so used to indicators they make me really happy.  When a car doesn't have an RPM gauge, especially when I want to push it around corners, I just don't like it as much 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »

I don't think this is a problem - a Tach while you're driving is both appropriate and a powerful tool. I think the essence of it might be that you don't need to see a Tach when you're not driving. I think you're talking the same things now. Smiley

The ancient and epic battle between you two wasn't quite so cut-and-dry if I remember correctly. And was a lot more subjective I think.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

I think the essence of it might be that you don't need to see a Tach when you're not driving. I think you're talking the same things now. Smiley

I personally like to see it when the car is off, idling, seeing it dip slightly when I turn on climate control, revving a powerful engine, and of course during driving.  The reason I bring up a tachometer is that the only time I don't want to see it is when I'm not in my car.  I may be a mutant but I'd much prefer to see a soft blue flicker representing HD access than nothing at all.  But I can completely see how someone who doesn't even know what a hard drive is would be annoyed if forced to become aware of what was happening under the hood.

The ancient and epic battle between you two

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

It was fun Smiley

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »

Say no to LEDs! Shocked Cheesy

I still stand behind what I said earlier. Which was that computer shouldn't have any indicators, at all UNLESS it's a server and those lights have some meaning. I know some of you pervs here like to watch leds flashing but that's a fetish like watching cockroaches getting stomped. I still don't see any point at seeing led flashing when my harddrive is working in desktop/laptop, or when my wifi is on or constant led burning when my computer is on.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »

Well, in certain cases, LED's can be used to show whats not visible... for example when trying to discover the presence of vaporized tetra hydro cannibalsnoids in a glass dome a diode emitted light source will indicate what is seemingly NOT THERE... now if i could just get one hooked up to my computer somehow.....  Wink

So you like the design theory of the cylons then, one flashy red light that just says 'im alive' cause remember when they would die the light would stop where ever it was at when they died..... hahaha I always wondered why it didnt just go out.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »

I love good design.

But I still need my core temperature readouts, fanspeed, current FSB...I'm a junkie.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »

... and I think all of this is valid, and why there are so many different designs. Different aesthetic, different desires, awesome.

The one thing I'll say about PC design vs. Apple design is that you rarely hear of such detailed design thought going into a box... it strikes me more that it's about cost savings than design (personal development like you ITTO and VS do, not withstanding) for Dell et al ... and I think people naturally "get" when something is just constructed rather than designed.

Although this may not be the choice of many, the design and construction of Apple is one of the components of "value" to me. That's why it is worth more (and lives up to it) for me, and wouldn't for others.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »

re: the lights, cpu temp readouts, real time data, etc..

ive always just wanted to be in one of those wonder
room mainframe computer rooms like i giant techno
lite brite ... even if they didnt do anything but just
blink and make me look nerdier...hahhaha  of course
that robotic lady voice would have to announce critcial
temperature changes to 'the core' and stuff like that.

I actually worked in a pretty sweet tech room that had
LOTS of blinking lights and ganglias of wires and racks
and arrays of hubs fastened to the wall like industrial
art almost... wonder woman computer room... and natch
FACT: the building itself was owned by linda carter's (wonder
woman actress) father...  oh the stories i could tell about
discovering the back number to the elevator emergency phone:

me: standing waiting for slow ass elevator

phone voice, after emergency mode auto answer straight to speaker : "Hello, can i sppeak to the man or woman of the house, this is MCI calling to talk about your long distance service"

me:  OH GREAT i was just getting ready to call you... please switch me to premium right away.... (fake info given) gently at end of emergency elevator phone signup: i have a few lines here which one did we just sign up , for my records, can you read me the number off your autodialer screen?

phone voice: Sure, its 555-1212 ...or whatever.....

me: scrambling to sketch down the number ... muahahaha

so i had *LOTS* of fun with that one... being able to listen in to any conversation any one on the elevator had  Wink

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »

Ah yes ... I believe I remember that data room ... I believe we even programmed in a bunch of extra lights just for effect on the Web/CRS linkage piece just to impress ourselves...

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 01:46:38 AM »

Apple has top notch shit.
But in any market u have 2 choices.
Either produce for the masses or produce an elite item.

An item is not elite unless only a few of them are made Smiley
A VW looked  like shit, but it was a rugged car which was cheap. You did not buy a VW for comfort or to look good Smiley

A jaguar looks great, and it comes with a hefty price tag.
But part of the jaguar's appeal is that only a few can afford it.

Personally i think apple should stick to the "jaguar" end of products Smiley.
If you try and go down the middle of the road u fail.

The iphone, MacBook Pro line etc are prime examples of this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript