The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 11:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tossing my laptop.  (Read 7895 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »

It's official. I'm gonna toss my laptop. I'm going to get an airport express and be done with it. The thing is about 2 decks of cards, built in power plug so no wall art to deal with, and it can act in bridge mode to let your device be directly on the network without nat.

Yeay. My bag just got 8 pounds lighter...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »

I have a few of them ... They're fine little things. The bridge mode works perfectly, running that both here, Pima and Rose. (extremes though ... They are N ... Are the expresses still G?)

What will you do for a simple shell if you don't have access to our cloud?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:36:19 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »

Nope they are N

Whatchu mean? If I am unable to access the cloud, I can't do anything anyway.
I have all the assorted apps needed for connectivity and testing from the iPhone.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

Well, I was thinking down this path since you posted. What do I need a shell for? Ping? Traceroute? Nslookup? There are loads of apps that do all of that quite well ... So if you did have an exprress in bridge mode, it'd literally be like you were wired, and the tools could give you all the analysis you'd need.

Hmmmm. I think you're on to something.

BTW try FTPWrite. Simple editor loads/saves to FTP. No code hlighting but it's a start. I'll betchas text wrangler or bbedit is not far behind. then were really talking.   

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00:55 AM »

The more i think about it, the more i think you're right. Typing is now reasonably quick and accurate, bridging takes care of network connectivity issues, apps take care of what I'd normally do from a prompt ... Don't have an option for serial connections, but that's incredibly rare ... So long as there's a machine handy to pimp a shell or desktop from, you're pretty golden. I may try it with you. And it certainly would be good for us to get our arms around this sort of mobility for future sales missions ... 

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:02:08 AM »

"iPad may cannibalize notebook share"

Seems to be the case here in the test-tube.

if/then?

"affect AAPL price..."
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:53:52 AM »

You could alway add a keyboard. I am sure that there around about to be a boatload of folding or rollup keyboards that ar big when open but small and strong when packed up.

I really cannot think of why I need my lappy any more???

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

@RC - well, it doesn't seem to be so ATM anyway ... It would appear that the analysts and public in general like the prospect of Apple selling software in a walled garden, as well as the iAd connection, even better than the lappy sales.

I think it will eat in to notebook sales, but there will always be those that just don't like the form factor, think they need more etc. different stokes and all that. We'll have to see. And although I'm going to try this with nuts, i am not prepared to get rid of the notebook because there still is a mission for that machine. Going forward though, i don't know.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:25:11 AM by perkiset » Logged

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »

Anyone here write software Huh?  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »

Totally get your point, just like VSs ... If your notebook IS your 'puter then this is not a great choice. But if you develop on something else, and just want the communication mechanism, its a great choice.

I've actually started to separate the jobs. Where i have virtual desktops with different notions on them (to help me get into a certain state of mind quickly) now I'm doing my communications all from the pad and developing /working on the desktop. I've not posted or emailed anything from my desktop since I got this a week ago. Yesterday, in fact, i was working on the desktop and had the pad next to me standing so i could touch and work it while I worked on the desktop.

My middle son asserted this morning (quite accurately and penetrating) that until there's a way to fire one of these up without a computer, or provide backups of homework more easily, it will not be a school notebook replacement entirely. I speculate that this will come to pass sooner rather than later, but it's a strong point: you don't want one of these as your sole axe. You probably need a full blown computer as well as this for the immediate future (if you work in the field).   

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »

You could sell him a vdesk in our cloud Smiley

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »

@Otto yep on my desktop, where I have 3 monitors. The 1 monitor gig that a laptop confines you to is over for me for production work. Has been for a long long time.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »

( Ditto ) ^ 10

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »

@Otto yep on my desktop, where I have 3 monitors. The 1 monitor gig that a laptop confines you to is over for me for production work. Has been for a long long time.

Otto..... Otto WHO??? (reference anyone?  Perks need not reply)

But in terms of "production work" I just see this a little differently.  I love my multi-monitor configs as well, for home and office.  But clouds require little more than a view portal so a nice 17" laptop with its mobility makes me feel less chained to my more optimal workstation environments 

Writing Apex in Eclipse with cloud SVN (Subversive) is damn delicious 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »

Otto..... Otto WHO??? (reference anyone?  Perks need not reply)
LOL actually I was struck by how his 'pad does not yet recognize the nick for the famous ITTO and corrected him. That's something that I'll need to watch more as I go forward with it as well.

But clouds require little more than a view portal... so a nice 17" laptop with its mobility makes me feel less chained to my more optimal workstation environments 
I love my desktop and love developing there, have *never, ever* enjoyed developing on my 'book. It always stunk. So the single-monitor portal, for me, is a connection for maintenance rather than development. Agree then, I think we all see this one pretty differently...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript