The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tip: did already purchase this app or not? Itunes  (Read 5735 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »

Soi have tried a shit load of apps.
I do NOT keep them all installed obvusly. Games in particular what use up a lot of space, get nuked on a regular basis.

The problem is how to know, before you click that install button on a pay app, if that is actually the app you think it is, and you had already paid for it. I have been burned a few times by grabbing an app I was convinced i already owned, but then never got the "you have already purchased this app" message. Dammit!!!

So, how do you know without digging through your purchase history in iTunes???

Drumroll...

Try to write a review.
You can only review apps you ha purchased.
So if it let's you start a review, you already own it.

Yeah.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

Did you actually get CHARGED for purchasing the same app twice?  That's never happened to me.  I may not always get the "You have already purchased this app" message, but I've never been re-charged for buying an app.

If you were, I expect a quick call to Apple would get the charge reversed.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »

No. This is to avoid downloading an app, you thought you already purchased, but did not, and as a result, you end up buying it. Example would be the dozen todo apps I have tried. I keep looking for new ones, and when I do, I see old ones have been updated, so I download them. But a few times, I have grabbed something I thought I had already bought, but didnt, so I never get the "you already bought this" message, meaning I just got charged, because I was wrong and never had bought it before.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:48 AM »

Ah, I get it.  Guess I didn't read the OP closely enough.

In that case, it's a useful tip, I'll remember it!
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »

Interesting.

I wonder if you actually delete the app, rather than just removing it from your device if things would be cleaner? I have no issue with this at all, having also about a bazillion apps on my computer that are no longer on my iOS devices.

Have you considered using something other than that POS Windows/iTunes bit? Things work so very well on a Mac. 

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

It's not a work well or not issue. It's a human memory issue partly, as well as a way apple did things. And I don't ever sync with my computer.

Install a new app on you iPhone from the AppStore on the phone, and you get asked for your iTunes password and then it starts to download without any further question.
It only questions you if you already own the app.
So if you install an app you thought you had already bought, and you dint get that message, you didn't actually ever buy it before, and now you just paid for some shitty app you thought was something else.

For example, I only have a few games installed, but have bought lots. I change up what games I have installed about once every two weeks as I get bored.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »

You have the most peculiar habits NB Smiley
Perks answer to everything is get a mac Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

@nuts - ah, missed the never sync bit. That would explain a lot. I rarely download something directly to my pad or phone, preferring to acquire iit on my machine and then sync.

I can see why Apple would not scan (your) records for the existence/previous purchase ofan app before allowing a download from an efficiency standpoint, but it also makes sense to just let you go and then charge you as necessary. Or worse, every time. So essentially you're outsourcing historical records to Apple and paying for it ... As opposed to paying for it by self management. In that case, they make the rules and you get the buttlove.

@NOP - LOL pretty much true. There are the odd ocassions when this is not the case (like as a replacement for food, sex or defecating) but they are rare indeed. Virtually anything else can be solved by purchasing a Mac, iPod, iPhone or iPad. your purchases particularly solve dips in the stock that make me unhappy. So get right on that, if you would please.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

@NOP - LOL pretty much true. There are the odd ocassions when this is not the case (like as a replacement for food, sex or defecating)

I have an Apple sticker on my toilette lid.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »

@Perks all stocks are down, China is increasing rates.
Part of the drop with apple is caused by steve jobs medical.
On the other hand analyst say apple will be announcing a record profit ....

Hard to say 'logic' and 'stock market' do not match Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »

Vitually all the analysts say to stay with AAPL, the price target being anywhere from 405-450 now. They're going to get beat on for just a bit, the same way they did last time he took a leave of absence, but it'll come back just fine.

And that will be good, because I've feeling that this is the end of the road for Steve and Apple. I think this may be his slow fade out. I hope he goes home and finds time for peace with his family, and as much recovery as one can expect in his condition. Cripes he's had a blessed run already, I'd call it a day and spend time with loved ones if I were him.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »

Apple was listening to you, I guess... problem solved!  This article only mentions iPad, but I imagine the same functionality will be available imminently on the iPhone if it isn't already.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/04/ipad-app-store-gains-search-filters-install-buttons-for-previously-purchased-apps/
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

I have it on good authority that Steveo follows this board religiously.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »

I understand that reading The Cache does wondering things for the liver.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »

I understand that reading The Cache does wondering things for the liver.

After last night I could use it  Tongue

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript