The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the Jesus Pad?  (Read 2776 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »

Doesnt have quite the same ring as the Jesus Phone did... lol

So i just had a realization. Being the antichrist that I am, I didnt realize today is the day before easter. I wonder if there is a significance to it marketing wise? Tly to create an unconscious bond with the big cheese rising from the dead.

The Jesus phone thing started out as a bit of joke, but memes work that way. It became a signal of change in cell phones. Changing cell phones from engineer driven design and features to consumer driven design and features. It was the death of cell phones and the rise of the new age of "personal devices".

So i wonder if the launch date is positioned based on trying to create another image of that? The potential is there i think. People like our parents would be iPad targets. A device with a button on it for each thing they do. Like those phones for alzhiemers patients with 1 big button for help and 1 big button for "family".
flickr
facebook
music
mail
etc...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

Like those phones for alzhiemers patients with 1 big button for help and 1 big button for "family".

ROFLMAO

I've fallen and I can't reach my iPad  Need Help

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »

I thought you meant marketing i-products in same manner as jesus is marketed.

1) Have user remove all common sense.
2) Apple products are the best, anyone who saids anything bad about apple is evil.
3) When apple does evil things it is not really evil
4) All apple users have to constantly spout how you will not be happy unless u have apple products. That way apple can collect more fanbois lol
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »

You know NOP, this is getting somewhat old. Users remove all common sense? cmon. You cannot degrade Apples stuff down to mass hypnosis. The stuff is really really good, regardless of what you think. You prefer a healthy dose of cynicism before you make a purchase ... Cool. Many other people think that what Apple produces is worthy of their time without even needing to try it first. Cool.

Apple would have been a one-trick pony if their stuff was shit. Users would have given them one sale and that's it. Since they continue to have sales like they do, it would seem obvious to me that they have not disappointed their user base ... In fact, they clearly have done such a good job that the base is growing, quite rapidly.

In many ways, Apple is worthy of the hype.

<edit: pot->pony>
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:51:08 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »

Hey man, jebus works for hundreds of millions of people.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »

You know NOP, this is getting somewhat old. Users remove all common sense? cmon. You cannot degrade Apples stuff down to mass hypnosis. The stuff is really really good, regardless of what you think. You prefer a healthy dose of cynicism before you make a purchase ... Cool. Many other people think that what Apple produces is worthy of their time without even needing to try it first. Cool.

Basically very closely related to this post, http://www.perkiset.org/forum/all_things_apple/ipad_may_cannibalize_notebook_share_affect_aapl_price-t2648.0.html;msg20835;topicseen#msg20835
Bottom line is all tech stocks are massively overpriced.

A very good book to read on the subject matter is
http://blogbusinessworld.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-markets-fail-by-john-cassidy-book.html
The book is kinda dry as it goes thru economic theories, and i do not 100% agree with him in some areas.
But the basic premise of the book is that all economic theories (and the gov't polices which regulate the markets are based on these theories) are based on the premise that people purchase things because of logical, rational decisions. Countless experiments have revealed that people do not base their decisions on a rational basis.

History backs me up also.
From an innovative perspective the greatest change in society occured in from 1918 to 1929.
Just the simple combustion engine changed life for more people then all of the computer inventions.
No longer did a woman have to be able to handle a team of horses, she could now just hop into a model T, fire it up and away she went.
Production of the land increased 3-4x and less people where needed to farm the land. Mainly due to advances in chemical production for fertilizer, and combustion engines replaced horses.
The ability to produce electricity economically and reliably literally changed how much people slept Smiley People could now read books and did not have to go to bed at 7pm Smiley
Small electric motors allowed labour saving devices in the home, from vacum cleaners, blenders etc.
Radio probably changed life more then the internet. People in the rural areas where no longer isolated. They had a window to the world.
The telephone also falls in the same category. It was not until 1920s that a proper phone network was setup.
Airplanes also, same story.

All of these inventions where fantastic and life with them definitely better.
Unfortunately a lot of hype and hysteria surrounded these inventions.
Take a look at the popular mechanics type magazines published in the 1920s about the world of the future.
By today's perspective they are almost comical.

The statement that the "ipad is revolutionary and will change people's lives".
Yah the ipad is interesting device, but calling it "revolutionary" is a little extreme. And a prime example of mass hysteria.
The "tech" stocks of the 1920s where the broadcasting stocks.
Again same ole story massively overpriced, huge P/E ratios, paying little if any dividents.
This over evaluation was caused by hype and hysteria.

Again in the 1920s there where people saying the same thing as me. Again same ole crap.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript