The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm8 games may steal iPhone numbers and transmit them  (Read 1781 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181745/lawsuit_claims_iphone_games_stole_phone_numbers.html?tk=nl_inx_h_crawl

Shocked 

Seriously not cool.  Bad Storm8 and... wait who approved this privacy pillager of an app??  It's not a slam on Apple, or at least not all of it.  Some heads should roll at Apple though 

This is the kind of thing the app approval process should catch.  Force.com is ridiculously meticulous about this and literally performs a code review after all functionality has been approved.  I've had many back and fourths answering direct questions about some of my more "questionable" cloud traversing code, some of it rather deeply nested in OO land.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »

I always thought that quality/approval control was suppose to prevent exactly this kind of stuff from happening. Not cool Apple.

I'm sure some heads are rolling right now Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

I always thought that quality/approval control was suppose to prevent exactly this kind of stuff from happening. Not cool Apple.

It's an unimaginably tough balance between staying competitive with apps and running a tight quality control ship.  The AppExchange certification process can take months.  Code testing coverage has to be above 75% and they really complain if you don't reach 100%.  With Apex it's got built in test-driven development that breaks whenever you go outside their cloud - intentionally.  Therefore you have to write automated test procedures that execute all lines of code before and after every callout.  Then test it again allowing the callout to fail that specific test procedure.

This way they can easily see each and every point where a program goes outside their cloud.  Same approach works for any OS if you choose to impose those "restrictions."  But phone numbers?   Shocked 

Yep it's Don't make me... time for those responsible for allowing this to happen, unless Apple traded quality for quantity  Undecided

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

Yet another argument for Open Source.  IMHO

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

Yep it's Don't make me... time for those responsible for allowing this to happen, unless Apple traded quality for quantity  Undecided

I'll bet not ... the reviewers are really in a tight spot. Continually assaulted for not going fast enough, then besieged for when they FU like this. I'd not take that job ... what an unforgiving and fickle position.

I'll betcha there's some sphincter factor happening in a meeting room at this very moment...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript