The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow Leopard bug - beware logging in as Guest...  (Read 1333 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »

"Apple is reportedly working on a fix for a widely-reported bug in the new Snow Leopard OS that can cause massive data loss. Apple on Monday acknowledged the bug, which can lead to the loss of all of a user's personal data when logging in with a Guest account."

Good safety tip Shocked Easy to avoid but in case you haven't heard about it I'd avoid logging in as Guest until it's resolved

Full article: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/101309-apple-working-on-fix-for.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-10-13

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »

That's what I was referencing in the other thread re. backups ... it's a pretty obscure bug and doesn't seem to affect many people, but for those it does, it's nasty. All you need to do is set the Guest account to "sharing only" ie., disabled from a login perspective (system preferences, accounts, guest, uncheck "enabled") and you're all safe. For those that *require* the guest account to be loginable, it is recommended that you have Time Machine running so you have a safe, up to the minute backup.

All of the rumor sites and the threads related to this @ Apple have been just alive with this bug over the last 5 days, and Apple just last night acknowledged the problem and that they are working on a fix for it. 'Bout damn time, but the challenge is that no one has been able to reproduce it reliably yet, in any of the threads. It's a sneaky and slippery little bugger ... and I'd not be surprised if there was a trojan or something else involved somewhere. It's just a little too weird.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »

@perks
interesting bug.

Not sure how guest logins work.
But when u do a guest login if u use certain apps a temp "profile" directory will be created.
Then when u log out all of these temp files will be destroyed.

If the files where some how cross linked to the regular profile ...
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:59:07 AM »

I think you're close to what's going on Nop.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript