The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 05:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow but steady elimination of cell service: that's what I'm talking about...  (Read 5829 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »

This is pretty hot:

http://cultofmac.com/mobile-wifi-ipod-touch-bettercheaper-than-iphone/14227

I'm wondering if a mobile hotspot would be more robust about dropping/reacquiring cells and put less burden on iphones as well... that looks damn interesting to me.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »

Love the direction this is headed but I'm not sure this specific configuration will garner a boatload of support.  I think you'd need a headset for this to work too.  But you know me and I'll Skype from my laptop any day of the week over a cellphone.  The reception is flawless even on wireless while presenting a goto meeting.  I think it's just a matter of time before VoIP nails the coffin shut on traditional voice carriers. 

Hence part of my feverish rant about Apple dropping VoIP apps from the App Store.  I think AT&T suspects this as well and they're trying to squeeze everything they can from the shrinking voice channel market.

I'm tellin ya, Skype - $2.99 per month unlimited USA & Canada (3-6-12 month plans cost even less, but I'm still month to month).  I pay about $20 per month to keep a pre-paid cellphone for receiving important calls.  But not dragging around such expensive, constantly-fiddling-with-it technology has made my life so much nicer  Grin 

Getting a monthly cellphone bill is like waiting for a bad report card, for the rest of your life  Cry

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »

Yeah, I've been watching that mifi.  Right now, it's the likely route we're going to take for real estate data handling.  Interfacing with some of the backend services for the MLS probably won't work on more, ummm, obscure browsers like that on the Touch. Hell, some sites like the county's tax mapping were written IE-specific so I know the micro-laptop is going to be forced into service. Either case, Touch or laptop, the mifi seems to fill the bill.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:15:06 PM by rcjordan » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »

I'm thinking that installing one (hidden) into my cars would be just perfect - allow the phones to connect up, when PinkHat is working she can just be online... I notice that Sprint is selling a MiFi thang as well. I have the sprint EVDO service, I wonder which is better...

Need to do more research on this. I like the idea a lot though.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »

Hence part of my feverish rant about Apple dropping VoIP apps from the App Store.  I think AT&T suspects this as well and they're trying to squeeze everything they can from the shrinking voice channel market.

It depends how long they can ride that horse for.
Again AT&T is not a "voice channel" but an "information channel".
Trend here already is happening.
In metro manila (population 30-40 million, 35% of population) cellphone to cellphone calls are included free as part of a package.
Another package unlimited landline to cellphone calls 10 peso (~$0.30).

Eventually the same trend will reach USA, or AT&T is going to go the way of western union Smiley
Unless they get out of the "voice channel" service and into the "information transfer service".
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

sort of related...

I am interested in Femtocells.
My parents live in a total deadzone for cell, all providers.
ATT is apparently going to be launching a femtocell product in december or so, which will plug into your network, and operate as a local, short range, cell tower, but route the calls over the internet. $100 and supposedly no monthly fee, because after all, you are doing them a favor easing tower traffic. Plus if I undertand correctly, femto routed calls will burn fractional minutes.

So perk, like you and i who burn SHITLOADS of cell minutes, a lower plan might be possible... Though I think you burn out-of-house minutes more than I do. I probably burn 90% in house.

Now a loooooong time ago, when the industry was originally talking about this idea, they thought about making the femtos even a bit more powerful so neighbors and such could use it, and you, as the femto owner, would earn free minutes for a portion of the call time that got routed through your femto. Personally, I think they could instantly solve the dead zone problem with that route.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

I've been looking for this to become a reality as well... this will make it so that people in Durango can get AT&T in their homes, for example (that's a problem out there). "femtos" huh? Din't know the term - thanks nuts. I swear, it's changing so friggin fast it blows every one of my predictions.

Honestly, regardless how you feel about it, the new media tablet (which is supposed to have 3G (or better) and wifi) will probably push the world even faster towards a non-cell airspace and more and more people towards the Skype-like solution. We were just talking over wine and pasta tonight, that the 100th monkey will be when PinkHat no longer knows or cares what frequency/signal/protocol she is talking to her friends on.

I've been saying 3 to 5. Anyone for 2 to 3?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:50:25 PM »

I am interested in Femtocells.

A good friend of mine's neighbor has one and is really happy with it.  It's (believe it or not) a Verizon dead zone.  He was planning to go the same route but settled on wifi VoIP with a VoIP phone and loves it as well.  I just got hooked on the sound quality of Skype so I'm biased.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:09:28 AM »

Love the direction this is headed but I'm not sure this specific configuration will garner a boatload of support.  I think you'd need a headset for this to work too.  But you know me and I'll Skype from my laptop any day of the week over a cellphone.  The reception is flawless even on wireless while presenting a goto meeting.  I think it's just a matter of time before VoIP nails the coffin shut on traditional voice carriers. 

I'm tellin ya, Skype - $2.99 per month unlimited USA & Canada (3-6-12 month plans cost even less, but I'm still month to month).  I pay about $20 per month to keep a pre-paid cellphone for receiving important calls.  But not dragging around such expensive, constantly-fiddling-with-it technology has made my life so much nicer  Grin 

Getting a monthly cellphone bill is like waiting for a bad report card, for the rest of your life  Cry

couldnt agree more.. ive had a skype number for three years and running..

fun to prank call australian mcdonalds ffor 2 cents a minutes..

.. hheeyaaAAsh breeyowns?  theere a dewullah!  A DEWULLAH!

lol.... even on the evdo/3g networks the calls are audible..

i use a usb vtech 7100 phone with a headset itll go an easy 1/4 mile
from the base and works with skype to skype calls.... really awesome stuff.

hell skype is the only way ive been able to keep the same phone number
for three years ... (a first for me....) the adhd filters into every banking account
and phone bill ive ever had ... lol

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »

I think it's just a matter of time before VoIP nails the coffin shut on traditional voice carriers. 

i think what people dont realize and is also the reason why you cant ever actually get
56k on those old modems  is because unless youve got straight hard wired copper
to an old school phone switch and copper to the station in some old hick town your
still getting sampled into VOIP at the CSU/DSU box at  the front of your block
and your landline calls are voip'ed by your phone service reseller... its been
internet for a while now... at least on skype you skype the hardwire translation
and hit the tubes directly.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »

I hope these catch on.

They will make 3G cards obsolete. That will be good. 3G cards suck.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »

i think what people dont realize and is also the reason why you cant ever actually get
56k on those old modems  is because unless youve got straight hard wired copper
to an old school phone switch and copper to the station in some old hick town your
still getting sampled into VOIP at the CSU/DSU box at  the front of your block
and your landline calls are voip'ed by your phone service reseller... its been
internet for a while now... at least on skype you skype the hardwire translation
and hit the tubes directly.

The actual protocol/translations are one thing.  I'm no expert in this area but I'm speaking more from a billing and effective usage standpoint where it just makes a world of sense to purchase your bandwidth and use it for voice, data, TV, movies, etc. etc., rather than ever even thinking about having a "voice" wireless line as separate from data.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »

The googleverse is rockin with threads about Verizon vs. AT&T's femto offering ... looks like AT&T is still behind in deployment but there offering will be better than Verizon, which doesn't offer 3G. Looks like it was supposed to be out this summer but is now "still on track for a 2009 release." I think this offers sort of a hybrid-car midstep between old cell service and all data/voip service. I will be interested to see how that succeeds for them if Verizon is truly on the short strokes of a 4G net, and how that might mean a complete left turn even earlier than predicted.

Just remembered another problem for me re. Skype: since the iPhone doesn't allow for true background processing, the phone can't ring when a Skype call comes if you're doing something other than Skype. That will be the rub: if the media tablet can run Skype like a desktop, and can have a bluetooth headset (and especially if it has a LTE net connection via Verizon) so it can be in my bag while I'm wearing the headset and answer a call, then I think we're getting pretty close. At that point, I would have no reason to be concerned with what protocol or transport or service was actually delivering me the call.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »

The actual protocol/translations are one thing.  I'm no expert in this area but I'm speaking more from a billing and effective usage standpoint where it just makes a world of sense to purchase your bandwidth and use it for voice, data, TV, movies, etc. etc., rather than ever even thinking about having a "voice" wireless line as separate from data.

Baddabing. Additionally, why would AT&T/Sprint/Verizon et al want to continue to maintain antennae for an old network, if a single, more powerful network can carry everything? That said, I think the notion that The World Will No Longer Carry Cellular Voice will be a galactic shift and Americans, particularly those like my mother in law that has only managed to claw her way screaming into the cell phone world in the last couple years, will have a bit of a tough time shifting.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »

That said, I think the notion that The World Will No Longer Carry Cellular Voice will be a galactic shift and Americans, particularly those like my mother in law that has only managed to claw her way screaming into the cell phone world in the last couple years, will have a bit of a tough time shifting.

Definitely.  I could see the protocols changing out from under the late/anti-adopters where they don't know or care how the voice is being carried.  But I think in 5-10 years we'll be looking at predominantly IP based communication of all forms.  I have no crystal ball but one difference between the transition from landlines to cell versus cell to VoIP is cost.  People were dragged kicking and screaming to cellphones with the promise that, assuming they kept a landline (which many did), they would see a dramatic increase in communication costs as a result - with decreased call quality but the ability to roam around talking wirelessly.

Lot's of would-be late adopters are going the Magic-Jack route, for example, which is $19.95 per year with a simple USB interface and install.  My guess is lots of people will get comfy with VoIP on the cheap and have less of a risk feeling when they drop the cell service completely 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript