The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype for iPhone it'sofficial  (Read 4464 times)
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:33:51 AM »

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10206786-51.html

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »

This is a cool app. But please, explain to me why it's so important on a *phone*?

Here's my question: data is spotty and less quick than normal telco service. There's problem moving between cells for streaming. Data plans are more expensive than calling plans internationally. I love the notion of "free calls all over the world via the internet" but that's not what we get... I go to Mexico and Europe and it costs me considerably more to use the data channel than it does the telco channel... why would I do this?

This steps aside from the notion of free or paid WiFi in a hotel of course, where it does make sense. But still.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »

For a long time, I have wanted my iPhone to just transform into a Skpe handset for my SkypeIn line when I'm at home, and only take cell calls when I leave the house.

Hopefully this will be a good solution, or part of a good solution, for that.

Also the call quality is quite good, I've never had issues with it. What problems have you had Perk? I prefer Skype calls to calls on my iPhone, as they usually sound clearer. Could have something to do with my very nice headset vs. the iPhone's audio equipment as well.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »

I have not tried it on my iPhone yet (obviously) but have a bit of experience with radio now. AM stations sound better than FM - it's great, so long as I am in the middle of a cells range and not at a periphery or into a handoff zone, where it's crappy to non-existent streaming.

Thinking more and more on it, I can see where I'd use the lowest cost provider (telco or net) when I'm roaming away from WiFi, but when WiFi is available I'd go Skype to keep international costs down. I am looking forward to hearing the quality. Also, I've never used SkypeOut or SkypeIn, only Skype-to-Skype, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how that whole things works out for me.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »

FWIW ... about a year ago I was involved in a project where my cohort was in Johannesburg, S. Africa and Skype-to-Skype was flawless and extremely clear.  I suspect this indeed had more to do with decent headsets - I could clearly pick up background chatter from his wife. So Skype rocks - for audio anyway.

That said, the thing I'd personally like to do get an iPod touch and Skype with that at any number of free WiFi hot spots.  Hell, there's one in the Safeway near my house

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
dirk
Global Moderator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »

Mobile Skype makes sense when you're travelling and have a good wifi connection.

I have tested Skype on several Windows Mobile devices. Sound quality is really bad.
So Skype is useless there.

Would like to know if the sound is better on the iPhone.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »

Gonna be relatively close to you in about 8 weeks my friend - I'm going to try to implement this as a call home solution, since most of the places I'm staying will have WiFi. I'll let you know.

Probably the 2 closes places I'll be are Paris and Luzerne, so I won't be within dinner distance, but I'll be thinking of you and the Fanto nonetheless Smiley

dirk
Global Moderator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

Luzerne and the Tessin are great. I have been there several times.

And in June it's not too hot. You will enjoy it.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »

I've only been twice - just love it. Actually driving from Geneve, probably stop in Bern for lunch. Just delightful countryside.

Glad to hear that June won't be too bad... after there it's on to Milano and then Venice. I'm hoping the weather holds nice for it all.

deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »

Skype on the iphone has excellent clarity.

I use it to speak to a colleague regularly, as I have wifi in my office,
and he has skype on his pc.

Mind you however we are in the same city.
Havent tried for a OS call yet.

Unfortunately he cannot call me, as iphone 3.0 software is yet to give
me push notification. But when it does it will be the cats meow.
txavi8or
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »

I know I am late to the party on this subject but at least this is something I have experience with.  I used Skype a lot when I was on the raod in Europe or Asia in hotels on a laptop, si I was eager to use Skype on my iPhone in those same places.  What a dissapointment.  Getting on line was a problem and only slightly more useful than a laptop.

Then, I was clued into TRUPHONE for the iPhone.  I can make a call from almost anywhere in any location and the calls are no more than 5 cents a minute.  I don't use Skype anymore.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »

That looks pretty sweet - and an interesting business model as well.

I wonder what made Skype crappy for you, but TP works - if it's all WiFi, then the theory would be that TruPhone is just a better router than Skype. Is the voice quality everything that you'd want it to be?

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »

I used the Skype app on my iPhone to make calls back to the USA when I was vacationing in Mexico a couple of months back.  I could call from the room, the lobby, or the pool (using the hotel's free WiFi) and it cost me 2 a minute or some such.  The alternative would have been to call from the room (expensive), call using my iPhone through the local Mexican phone carrier (expensive international long distance PLUS expensive per-minute roaming charge) or use pay phones (need pocketfuls of pesos or a hard-to-find prepaid phone card, and have to find a working pay phone.) 

So long as you have a good WiFi signal, the Skype app works great, and I'll bet it's even better on the 3Gs.
txavi8or
Rookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »

That looks pretty sweet - and an interesting business model as well.

I wonder what made Skype crappy for you, but TP works - if it's all WiFi, then the theory would be that TruPhone is just a better router than Skype. Is the voice quality everything that you'd want it to be?

It is not that Skype is crappy, it is just Truphone can make a call for me anytime, anyplace, Skype needs a wifi connection.  The Truphne quality is at least as good.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »

Ah, big plus: no WiFi requirement.

IMO, we will see the end of normal cell channels within 5 years, and it will all be IP. So I am really intrigued by all of it. As an aside, I started working on a plan to forward my cell number to a Skype or Truphone number for the upcoming Media Tablet - what would it look like if I was *only* IP addressable - if I was not accessible via the normal copper channels? There are challenges there, but I like it and am going to get into the avante garde, which clearly, yet again, you've beaten me to  ROFLMAO

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript