The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype 3G ... Another reason to use mifi et al...  (Read 5198 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »

... A premium charge if you're using Skype over 3G ? Are you kidding me?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheAppleBlog/~3/Db_QcHezoJI/

Natch, use a mifi or jail broken iPhone with the ipad to avoid it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »

I pay $2.99 per month to be able to call out anywhere anytime unlimited.  But if I had a 3G service I don't think I'd be as interested in Skype.  Wonder if the quality is even good  Undecided

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

When you get here I want to talk about your Skype plan and how it all works for you. I'm really intrigued because with the new OS my 'pad can be a full time phone. Very intrigued indeed.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »

In a nutshell it's this.  All of my devices have Skype.  The install is free (XP, Vista, Win7 and Ubuntu).  The service is $2.99 per month unlimited US and Canada.  I can call Sarah Palin's cell phone and talk with her until the sun actually sets in Alaska for, wait for it... $2.99 per month.

But I don't have nor would I desire to have a 3G or lightweight phone with broadband to handle my Skype tunnel for me.  The closest I may come is WiFi since no 3G-like fees would apply.  But Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop with Skype and a headset on wireless?  Priceless  Grin

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »

But I don't have nor would I desire to have a 3G or lightweight phone with broadband to handle my Skype tunnel for me.  The closest I may come is WiFi since no 3G-like fees would apply.  But Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop with Skype and a headset on wireless?  Priceless  Grin

Why not a lightweight device with broadband? What's your hesitation there? I rather thought this was the holy grail ... an iPod Touch with Skype and for $2.99 you can call anyone forever, end of cell phones. The point of a MiFi would be so that the lightweight device is WiFi rather than 3G and Skype can't charge you, so I'm a little confused.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »

Why not a lightweight device with broadband? What's your hesitation there? I rather thought this was the holy grail

May be but cost versus processing on anything smaller than a pad currently is a question mark for me.  If there's an unlimited 3G type plan then perhaps but the price seems more appropriately used as straight cell service for the time being until this changes.

But again it's just an unknown for me.  I haven't experienced cheap, unlimited and fast enough broadband to access through a phone-sized device where I would even consider installing Skype and trying voip.  But with mifi/wifi, it's a different story...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »

Ah. Both pad an iPhone 3G is unlimited, that makes sense why we'd be in different places. My Sprint WiFi is not unlimited, but I have so many minutes it's hard to beat up. But if I was Skyping over it then I'd imagine it'd be different.

So my current rig is to MyWi the iPhone (turns the iPhone into a 3G wireless WiFi hotspot) then use Skype on the 'pad. Bluetooth headset to the pad. Now the pad thinks I'm WiFi (i am, actually) but I'm on the AT&T unlimited data plan. Sweetness.

The only bummer is that MyWi beats the crap out of the battery. So in the car I have to have the phone on the charger full time or it's down within 60-90 minutes.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

I'm really intrigued because with the new OS my 'pad can be a full time phone.
You mean like this?

I think I still might prefer to use my iPhone as my full time phone...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

Probably right Kurdt, but it will be cool to push the envelope. The voip promise is sort of follow me phone - I'm looking forward to dealing with my communications that way. Regardless of device.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »

Probably right Kurdt, but it will be cool to push the envelope. The voip promise is sort of follow me phone - I'm looking forward to dealing with my communications that way. Regardless of device.
Does headset work with iPad? That could work? But though I don't know how you would keep iPad on so that if somebody calls you, it will actually receive the call AND still keep it a life so that you don't have to recharge it every night.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »

The new OS supposedly will do wake on event just like the phone does, so I expect that its essentially asleep until an event vector wakes it up. Meaning the battery life would be essentially unchanged.

But in typing this right now, I'm hoping that the phone API set will be included in the pad just as it is in the phone. All the multitasking stuff should be there, but weirder things have happened ...

Provided it's included then yes kurdt, my Bluetooth headphones work and if it really is multitasking the way they describe then it shouldn't be a problem. The propaganda seems to hint that I am correct.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »

Hey fanboi, Steve just ping'd me. Said to let you know about FaceTime. Iphone4 to Iphone4 vid chat with no setup.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »

Bullshit. He didn't ping you because he's sitting right here with me now and I know he isn't IMing.

Was wondering when the first post would come in on the phone ... looking forward to getting one in my hands and see what it's got. Don't know yet if it is attractive, but the high def video recording and facetime are pretty compelling (would knock the Flip out of the wife's purse).

Loved the quote during the keynote when first showing the phone... "Some of you have seen this already... (audience lulz)"

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Mr. Burns: Smithers, is it wrong to cheat in order to win a million dollar bet?
Smithers: Yes, sir.
Mr. Burns: Let me rephrase that. Is it wrong if *I* cheat in order to win a million dollar bet?
Smithers: No, sir. Who would you like killed?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »

ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript