The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safari leakage attenuated...?  (Read 1206 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »

I'm noticing since I did the 10.6.3 update for OSx that Safari+Flash is not leaking as badly and my memory is staying quite a bit more clean ... anyone else seeing similar? I don't think I've changed my test conditions...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »

Yes, it seems to be better.  I've gone more than a day without being forced to quit a relaunch Safari, something I've been having to do 2-3x per day to deal with the memory leakage.

It had gotten so bad that I had to run Activity Monitor in a corner of my screen all the time, just so I could keep an eye on the memory situation.  Completely ridiculous and inexcusable, in my opinion -- perhaps it's partly Adobe's fault, but it seems to me there's something wrong with Safari if it allows a plug-in to grow and grow and grow....

Anyway, I think it's much improved but I also haven't been opening many Flash pages in the past couple of days, so that may have an impact too.

-D.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »

Hmm, I haven't noticed anything different. How much memory you guys have? I have 6GB right now installed and haven't noticed a thing. But if the situation is as bad as you describe, this update could benefit my 2GB Macbook greatly.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

I have 10G, and I'd regularly come to my machine in the morning, having left Safari open, with *all* memory having been "allocated but not in use" which, according to the boneheads that think they know sh!t on the Apple community forums meant that it was just previously used and being hung on to for caching, but would be freed up when necessary.

It's BS. Since the change I've got about 50% of my memory free all the time again, and it's not getting filled up ... and things are running much more quickly.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript