The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safari 4.0.4  (Read 1765 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

Holy Jesus, Safari kicks so much performance ass it's sick.  I've been literally laughing while watching it process huge amounts of client-side scripting.  This is Safari for Windows though, so I would imagine it's at least as good or perhaps better on a Mac. 

The whole universe knows I'm no fan of closed source, IP maximalists and the like.  But Credit where credit is due.  The latest Safari is insanely fast, beautiful to look at and my new default browser.  Good job Apple  Applause

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »

Closed source? Isn't Safari basically WebKit?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »

Apple certainly leverages open source but closes it up for release and other modifications.  Unless I'm mistaken I don't know where you can get the actual source code for Safari 4.0.4, for example.  Am I incorrect here?  I really do get a fun kick out of building open source software myself.  When I can make a project myself is when it's open source in my book 

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »

Apple certainly leverages open source but closes it up for release and other modifications.  Unless I'm mistaken I don't know where you can get the actual source code for Safari 4.0.4, for example.  Am I incorrect here?  I really do get a fun kick out of building open source software myself.  When I can make a project myself is when it's open source in my book 
You're right.. they are probably using BSD license so they don't have to put it out.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

Just beating a dead horse here, but LogMeIn is totally sweet with Safari.  I ran into enough bugs using Chrome and LogMeIn that I switched back to FF for that purpose.  So far Safari is fast and no bugs found yet.  This is very welcomed since logmein suffers from poor performance, though it's a very handy free tool for remote administration.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript