The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 05:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for gamers re. Steam  (Read 1452 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »

OK, I've now waded through about 40 threads and releases over the last several days on Valve releasing Steam for the Mac. They claim that they are now in 100% support of the OS and that all future offers will include the OSX platform.

So my question: is this really that big of a deal? Are there that many games developed on this platform, and would this attenuate some of the critic of Macs that it is not really a platform for serious gamers?

(Not that I care from a gamers perspective, but since I am playing the roller coaster of the stock, and between this announcement and the iPad delivery date when up, AAPL is way up ... trying to get a feel for what the peak will look like)

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »

I'm surprised you haven't coded something to automate this already Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »

LOL my playing AAPL is actually quite subjective and reactive. Apple has become so much of a rock star that fanbois and haters define the market, which seems to follow interesting or horrible things within a few hours or days. I've been pretty lucky with my ideas of where/when to place limit orders for buying and selling.

All that said, do you have an opinion on the gaming issue?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »

All that said, do you have an opinion on the gaming issue?
Well it is kinda big deal because Valve with their Steam has a lot of authority in the gaming scene. They have produced only stellar products so when Valve starts to support OSX it sends out pretty strong signal. OSX is ready for gaming and has been since they switched to Intel. I'm not entirely sure if it's that Mac doesn't have DirectX or what but gaming companies haven't been exactly sending positive signals for Mac.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »

I have not done the gaming scene for ages.
But from a stock market hype crap, if OS X supports steam then it will probably boost the stock if it gets hyped.

Reality it will make no difference what so ever.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript